BBlades prop advice-

Notices

BBlades prop advice-

Old 11-23-2020, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default BBlades prop advice-

Brett-

I have a 39 Cigarette that I need to buy new props for, here is the history. The boat is a 39 Cigarette with 600 SCIs with XRs and -2 sport master lowers. Last year I tested the following props. 34 Bravo, 36 Bravo, 32 15" Max 5, 34 15.25 Maximus (factory Labbed ST) .

Performance for each prop-
34 Bravo- 94 at 5400, slip 18%
36 Bravo- 50 mph- anything over 50 mph the props would blow out.
32 Max 5- 92 5400, slip 16%
34 Maximus- 95 5400, slip 18%

Now all of these props I've sold, I was planning on running SCX-4 drives with Cleaver props. However I had a conversation with Tres Martin and he told me to go with the standard SCX drive not the SCX-4, so that is what was ordered. He also suggested Bravo props and not running SSM 6 props. The new drives are still 1.50 ratio, and the engines have been refreshed and converted to SCI 700s and Mark Boos installed a stage 2 program with a a 6000k limiter (engines will now be a little over 800 hp). So with all that said, what is your suggestion for a new set of props. I seemed to get the best slip numbers with the max 5, and I would think the 15.25" would be even better. Would a labbed full size Maximus be the ticket?, I've heard good things about your 5 speed, and what are your thoughts about running a set of cleavers? I'm not opposed to go that route but like I said, Tres was not keen on that.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by endeavour32; 11-24-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Top Answer

12-03-2020, 02:01 PM
bbladesprops
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 40Coupe
Good luck. I called earlier this week and left a message. My phone never rang back. They seem to be understaffed there.
Coupe,

Between 5 people at BBLADES we have 95 years of Mercury, Mercury Racing and BBLADES experience. But, the majority of that experience is working in our prop shop not in the consultation and advice world of the office.
I have been in the set up and propeller development arena for 30 years and was the go to guy at Merc Racing and now at BBLADES, but I'm only 1 guy. Eiko, my assistant, is quite qualified with over 20 years of marine experience of which 5 years was at Mercury in propeller sales. But, in many cases, I'll need to be involved.

You're right in that we are low on office and boat set up staff for the quantity for calls, emails and questions we get. We offer "free" quality advice to all who ask. And a lot of people ask. We are in high demand and that is quite a compliment and I don't take it lightly. It bothers me greatly that people may assume we don't care or don't feel that every inquiry is important. Because it is. Our reputation and livelihood depend on it.
This Tech. position is not easy to fill. Prop set up and boat set up is something that can only be learned with time and exposure. I have been lucky and have enjoyed doing this for 3 decades. I wish I had a twin to walk with through that journey. 2 of me would obviously cut the call waiting in half. I had a protege for 10 years named Brad. Some of you will know him. He decided a 2 years ago to open a bar and there in BBLADES lost a good Tech. who I thought was in for the long haul

I am still returning calls daily and nobody's call back gets overlooked on purpose. It will get returned unless lost by me.
Another main reason for this post is to tell people, I work overtime on returning emails. I do emails till 9 or 10 PM every night and try to always be a week or less behind on them. That is the best route to get my thoughts if you can't get me on the phone.
Unfortunately, I have not had time to spend on OSO as I used to. I do try to get on here as often as I can.
Please understand, we are trying hard and we truely appreciate the opportunity to help with all your set up needs.

Sorry for the long note.

Brett

Old 11-24-2020, 12:43 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I think you are going to be close to running out of props with enough pitch with the 1.50's and added 200hp.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I think you are going to be close to running out of props with enough pitch with the 1.50's and added 200hp.
Yes, that is a possibility, and not going with a 1.36 ratio lower was a tough choice. I have 500 additional RPMs that I can play with as the limiters are now at 6k, so that will help. Last year when I was running the 34 Maximus props, I the most I ran was 5500 rpm, but the engines had the wrong cams for the tune I was running. I'm really not sure what that combo was making for power, other than more than 600. I also don't know if the ecu was pulling back the power due to wrong readings. Either way, you are correct, I'm on the edge of running out of prop with the 1.50.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck. I called earlier this week and left a message. My phone never rang back. They seem to be understaffed there.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:07 PM
Registered

I’ve found the best way to get a reply is to post on here. Calling hasn’t ever worked for me.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

Originally Posted by 40Coupe
Coupe,

Between 5 people at BBLADES we have 95 years of Mercury, Mercury Racing and BBLADES experience. But, the majority of that experience is working in our prop shop not in the consultation and advice world of the office.
I have been in the set up and propeller development arena for 30 years and was the go to guy at Merc Racing and now at BBLADES, but I'm only 1 guy. Eiko, my assistant, is quite qualified with over 20 years of marine experience of which 5 years was at Mercury in propeller sales. But, in many cases, I'll need to be involved.

You're right in that we are low on office and boat set up staff for the quantity for calls, emails and questions we get. We offer "free" quality advice to all who ask. And a lot of people ask. We are in high demand and that is quite a compliment and I don't take it lightly. It bothers me greatly that people may assume we don't care or don't feel that every inquiry is important. Because it is. Our reputation and livelihood depend on it.
This Tech. position is not easy to fill. Prop set up and boat set up is something that can only be learned with time and exposure. I have been lucky and have enjoyed doing this for 3 decades. I wish I had a twin to walk with through that journey. 2 of me would obviously cut the call waiting in half. I had a protege for 10 years named Brad. Some of you will know him. He decided a 2 years ago to open a bar and there in BBLADES lost a good Tech. who I thought was in for the long haul

I am still returning calls daily and nobody's call back gets overlooked on purpose. It will get returned unless lost by me.
Another main reason for this post is to tell people, I work overtime on returning emails. I do emails till 9 or 10 PM every night and try to always be a week or less behind on them. That is the best route to get my thoughts if you can't get me on the phone.
Unfortunately, I have not had time to spend on OSO as I used to. I do try to get on here as often as I can.
Please understand, we are trying hard and we truely appreciate the opportunity to help with all your set up needs.

Sorry for the long note.

Brett

The following 14 users liked this post by bbladesprops:
93 shooter (12-03-2020), 94sylvan (12-03-2020), bajaholic (12-13-2020), Griff (12-04-2020), imartin (12-24-2020), OldSchool (12-14-2020), PA.WOODCHUCK (12-14-2020), Padraig (12-14-2020), resurrected (12-14-2020), River Rat 164 (03-10-2021), Ryan00TJ (12-05-2020), SFOcean (12-04-2020), SKammeraad (12-14-2020), SUPERSTITIOUS (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 02:54 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Brett-

I have a 39 Cigarette that I need to buy new props for, here is the history. The boat is a 39 Cigarette with 600 SCIs with XRs and -2 sport master lowers. Last year I tested the following props. 34 Bravo, 36 Bravo, 32 15" Max 5, 34 15.25 Maximus (factory Labbed ST) .

Performance for each prop-
34 Bravo- 94 at 5400, slip 18%
36 Bravo- 50 mph- anything over 50 mph the props would blow out.
32 Max 5- 92 5400, slip 16%
34 Maximus- 95 5400, slip 18%

Now all of these props I've sold, I was planning on running SCX-4 drives with Cleaver props. However I had a conversation with Tres Martin and he told me to go with the standard SCX drive not the SCX-4, so that is what was ordered. He also suggested Bravo props and not running SSM 6 props. The new drives are still 1.50 ratio, and the engines have been refreshed and converted to SCI 700s and Mark Boos installed a stage 2 program with a a 6000k limiter (engines will now be a little over 800 hp). So with all that said, what is your suggestion for a new set of props. I seemed to get the best slip numbers with the max 5, and I would think the 15.25" would be even better. Would a labbed full size Maximus be the ticket?, I've heard good things about your 5 speed, and what are your thoughts about running a set of cleavers? I'm not opposed to go that route but like I said, Tres was not keen on that.

Thanks for your input.

endeavor32,,

Sorry for the delay. What year is the boat?
I agree with Tres on the standard length case. Typically your hull prefers a deeper X dimension than 4"'s short of the factory setting. However, every identical boat is different and your weight and balance set up will play into the depth capability too. But choosing on the side of depth here makes sense to me. Also, I feel you boat with the power levels prior and now will perform better with round ear Bravo style props at that depth
As far as gear ratio, I prefer the lowest gears (higher number) over the taller gears due to throttle response. The 1.5:1 ratio will out perform the 1.36 unless the 1.5 gears are on the rev limiter. So, until you run some props and get a base line with the new engines, do not switch gears. Speaking of the new engines, Mark is great so I'm sure you will be happy. But, realize Stage 2 upgrade don't necessarily add as much power as one hopes for. Raising a rev limiter to 6K does not offer any power upgrade, it just let's you potentially use the added power from the other upgrades like a cam and whatever map adjustments were done in the ecu by allowing the rpm levels to run higher as long as the HP curve continues to grow past the 5400 mark the 600's had.

So, as far as prop choices are concerned, determining your performance goals is step #1. Do you want top speed specific or is fuel economy the desire? There is give and take with the performance desires.
Next, using a previous prop and its performance data, compare the numbers to get a real feel for the engine changes. Plus it will point us in the direction to pursue the goal you desire.
We have this prop testing program below that works awesome.

https://bblades.com/propeller-test-program/

I like the Bravo 1 props Labbed for speed. I like the Maximus Labbed at 15.25" for low and mid range. and I like our line of props for all around performance.
email me at [email protected] and we can discuss it more or get ne base line 3's and we can go from there.

Thank you,
Brett

The following users liked this post:
endeavour32 (12-14-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Coupe,

Sorry for the long note.

Brett
Thanks Brett. I did get a call back and I think we have the details worked out to tune up my prop a bit. Thanks for taking the time to call back and to reply.
The following 4 users liked this post by 40Coupe:
Griff (12-04-2020), Helmwurst (12-04-2020), imartin (12-24-2020), resurrected (12-14-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 05:53 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

This Covid deal seems to have just about everyone messed up. But, I have to say Brett responds, sometimes it takes a day or so but he always seems to circle back.
The following 2 users liked this post by bob:
Griff (12-14-2020), imartin (12-24-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:33 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Smile

Originally Posted by bob
This Covid deal seems to have just about everyone messed up. But, I have to say Brett responds, sometimes it takes a day or so but he always seems to circle back.

Bob,
​​​​​​​Thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbladesprops:
imartin (12-24-2020), zx1421 (07-14-2021)