Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Propeller Problem, Is This a Max 5 or a Maximus 5? >

Propeller Problem, Is This a Max 5 or a Maximus 5?

Notices

Propeller Problem, Is This a Max 5 or a Maximus 5?

Old 01-09-2021, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Propeller Problem, Is This a Max 5 or a Maximus 5?

I purchased a used propeller that was supposed to be a Mercury Racing Max 5 27p. I was told that it had one small ding that I could file out but all of the blades are nicked up rather badly including a 1 1/2 millimeter size chunk gone. The part number stamped inside the prop is that of a Maximus 28p and it has been repitched to a 27 as indicated by the number in the pictures. The word Max 5 has also been stamped onto it along with 27p. The logo on the outside of the barrel does not match that of pictures of either the Max 5 or the Maximus. The thick barrel and lack of a flair or diffuser look like a Max 5. What the heck do I have here? The first pic is of a Max 5 from Teague's site. Note that the logo is different from mine but the thick, straight barrel does look like mine. The other pics are of the prop in question.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:21 AM
Registered

Logo Comparison. Similar but not quite the same. First is genuine Max 5, second is prop in question.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Carl , I think there are 2 max 5 props. One is a ST and the others a LT. I think the ST denotes a short tube and LT is a long tube. I think your hull needs the ST for bow lift. Maybe someone will weigh in on the differences.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 830 Likes on 350 Posts

The max 5 is a cut down modified Maximus from mercury. From the picture the diameter looks big but that’s probably just the picture. This one looks like originally it left Mercury as a Maximus and was modified to max 5 specs.
The following users liked this post:
OPS VZLA (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokediver
Carl , I think there are 2 max 5 props. One is a ST and the others a LT. I think the ST denotes a short tube and LT is a long tube. I think your hull needs the ST for bow lift. Maybe someone will weigh in on the differences.
Thanks. Yes there are two barrel lengths and I'm not sure which I have. This prop did come off a Donzi 22 from a reliable source who did inform me that the blades had some nicks but that one nick is pretty deep. He said it worked better than any other prop on his 540 22 Classic but he changed to a higher pitch when he upped the power. He has offered to take it back if I can't use it so that is not the issue here. I just thought it was odd that the casting numbers are that of a Maximus but maybe Mercury used a modified casting mold? I do plan to test it on my 525 powered 22 Classic when the lakes again become liquid. If I like the performance then it will go to BBlades after I get some baseline numbers and I will have him clean it up and possibly repitch it to a 28 which I expect that I will need. Is that nick a problem? Does that mean that each blade has to be cut down that far?
Old 01-10-2021, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I think you are dialed in with the shorty and the bravo prop. I personally think you would be better off running a regular bravo lower in the big lakes. You simply cannot leverage the stern enough to get proper bow lift in a chop or the washing machine waves you are running. I think they are great for a lake or river but when the wind kicks up on bigger bodies of water the shorty isn’t the best performer. I ran one on my classic and went back to a regular lower because I couldn’t get decent bow lift. When you can trim up a little , set the tabs down a bit to trip the stern and extend your running length , it makes for a more efficient ride. We can only expect so much from a 22 foot boat.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IGetWet
The max 5 is a cut down modified Maximus from mercury. From the picture the diameter looks big but that’s probably just the picture. This one looks like originally it left Mercury as a Maximus and was modified to max 5 specs.
I suppose that is possible but the logo cast in the side and the thickness of the rear of the barrel suggest otherwise. It's a mystery! Where is Brett? lol
Old 01-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokediver
I think you are dialed in with the shorty and the bravo prop. I personally think you would be better off running a regular bravo lower in the big lakes. You simply cannot leverage the stern enough to get proper bow lift in a chop or the washing machine waves you are running. I think they are great for a lake or river but when the wind kicks up on bigger bodies of water the shorty isn’t the best performer. I ran one on my classic and went back to a regular lower because I couldn’t get decent bow lift. When you can trim up a little , set the tabs down a bit to trip the stern and extend your running length , it makes for a more efficient ride. We can only expect so much from a 22 foot boat.
Bow lift doesn't seem to be a problem on my boat and the Max 5 is supposed to improve it. I also have a 28p Bravo 1 on it's way which could be repitched to 29. The 30 I'm running now seems a bit too much. It is designed for big OB's and for high powered small single engine stern drives. My boat loves two foot chop. Threes and I have to slow down. Fours I'm going minimal planing speed. Anyway I'm looking forward to some prop testing this spring and the Rinda test tach will give me exact rpms. I'm still wondering what's up with this prop. Perhaps it was a Maximus 28 modified to a Max 5 27 but that seems unlikely. Is that 1 1/2 mm chip in the blade going to be a problem to fix? Brett. where are you!

Old 01-11-2021, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 156 Posts

I purchased a new Max 5 from Teague almost 2 years ago now. Here is a picture of the hub. It looks like yours with the maximus pitch XX out as Mercury starts with a maximus and modifies it.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
I purchased a new Max 5 from Teague almost 2 years ago now. Here is a picture of the hub. It looks like yours with the maximus pitch XX out as Mercury starts with a maximus and modifies it.

That is exactly what i needed to see and to know! Thank you very much! Are you happy with the performance?

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 01-11-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.