Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Scarab Panther always a work in progress >

Scarab Panther always a work in progress

Notices

Scarab Panther always a work in progress

Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

5 mph on cruise and a better ride, sounds like a nice improvement!
keep us posted on the gains.
shoot me a pm on where your getting those strakes made if you get a chance, thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My buddies boat just got done having those full length strakes removed. We feel that it really hurt the boat.

When we were out sea trialing dialing in the new setup, the boat had a violent porpoise. At 65mph, the bow was like a jackhammer. Plus it chine walked pretty hard. We thought, the strakes were lifting the stern too much, and fighting the rest of the setup.

Before the strakes were added, when the boat had TRS and the same engines, 92mph and none of that porpoising. So he figured just take them off and go back to the original design. We havent got a chance to run it again yet.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Thanks Mild that is good to know.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outonsafari
shoot me a pm on where your getting those strakes made if you get a chance, thanks
I got some 6' profiles from BlueThunder. I was just going to take them to a guy off of Craigslist that has a planer and have him match the angle. But after Milds comments I might not. I will cut you off a piece and send it to you if you would like?

Jason
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

Just A quick update. Today I took the boat out to get some AFR readings and try out my old 3 blade 25" Quicksilvers. I have not tried these props for over a year and never with the different bottom. I was quite surprised that they seemed to not react any different at WFO with the bottom changes. Cruise did increase 4mph but I was only seeing 76mph @5400 on a flat river.(same speed up and down the river) I like the 11% slip but couldn't get the RPM's I needed. I know with a little chop I would have picked up a couple MPH but the 3 blades not reacting to the trim was a real shock.

AFR readings were kinda fat WFO 11.8-12.1. 68*F, 29.92 barometric pressure, 64% Rel Humidity.
The last time I took readings it was 90*F and humid out and AFR 11.5 I didn't want to rejet cause I do run the boat in the fall when it is in the lower 60's. I am pretty sure I am safe and I think I have some power left on the table in jetting.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Default When I was restoring....

Originally Posted by Rookie
I got some 6' profiles from BlueThunder. I was just going to take them to a guy off of Craigslist that has a planer and have him match the angle. But after Milds comments I might not. I will cut you off a piece and send it to you if you would like?

Jason
my ancient 24' Sonic, my plan was to extend (and add a pad) my inner strakes the rest of the way to the transom.
I had them laid out to do while the boat was upside down and was shocked to find that they were not parallel w/the keel.
The inner strakes were farther from the keel the farther aft you went.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rookie, did your slip # go down with the new bottom? (nice work) thanks rod.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by himrod67
rookie, did your slip # go down with the new bottom? (nice work) thanks rod.
The slip did go down. The slip went down more on my 4 blade Spinelli's than they did on my 3 blade Quicksilvers. The boat loosens up more with the 4 blades than it does with the 3 blades. I did not try my fastest props 24" 4 blade Spinelli round ears. But this was the fastest the 3 blades have run on flat river water. I tend to keep testing on the river cause I know the conditions don't change that much and with back to back runs with and against the current I can compare and average them.

Here are the different prop geometries that I am running. I want to get my hands on some Bravo1 24" to try yet this year.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther always a work in progress-props.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

So today I decided that after work I needed to get my ass out to the shop and get my testing strakes on. I need to get the length right so I can glass in permanent strakes over the winter.

Pics:
1. Needed to remove the boat off of the trailer. OSO's JimV was kind enough to lend me a hand in getting it off the trailer.
2. Wellcraft blended the last 16" of strake into the into the hull. This all needed to be cut and ground out so it could butt up with the test strake profile. I outlined what need to be removed cause it it hard to see in the pic. No turning back now.
3. Just cutting and grinding away. I do not know what the strake inner core is made out of but I think it is white bubble gum. lol
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther always a work in progress-onstands.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0454.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0452.jpg  

Last edited by Rookie; 10-03-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

Pics:
1. Removed the strake and started to sand everything flush. Going to prep for a quick shot of gel to keep it sealed for a couple of runs.
2. Strake profiles. 73 1/2" ea.
3. After I had to remove 16" of the stock blended strakes. I will basically be adding 57 1/2" of additional inside lifting strakes. This will be the starting point. Going to cut the last 18" into 3 pieces for a quick removal during testing.

Back at it tomorrow after work and hopefully be on the water Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0455.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0458.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0463.jpg  

Last edited by Rookie; 10-03-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.