Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 05-08-2019, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Cool!

Always wanted to try that.
Yeah I'm good on that now... Last piece takes twice as long as the first two.
Looking to try something easier next.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Ken;

Just curious -- why have 2 exhausts? Why not just a single?

Looking good tho!

Dave
Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Registered

When we had the boat painted engines were setup with those twin turbos. After running the engines on the dyno, discovered the twins wouldn't cut it. So,, we're left with 4 holes and only 2 turbos. Options were repaint the transom, or cap off two holes. Decided to go with option 3, plumb in all the holes as originally planned. I voted for dry stacks out the hatch, with afterburners...

Things should move along pretty quickly now, so see if you can dig up a pair of big pitch wheels and come down and test with me next month.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

That hatch is to nice for tractor pipes.............
Old 05-11-2019, 01:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
That hatch is to nice for tractor pipes.............
Yeah probably so.. I actually dropped it off to get the glass installed yesterday.

Everybody has been scared to death to touch that freaking hatch. First place I called couple months back outright refused to make these panels for liability reasons. Even after I supplied them the specs directly from one of the guys who built these at Baja. The original Ohio glass shop has changed hands, and new owner had no interest in doing them. Finally found a local shop who could get them water jetted, from another shop down in Cinci. Cost was actually less than the sheet of 3/4" acrylic before shipping and laser cutting fees.

Today I find a couple rough edges from cutting that kept it from setting perfectly flush. I'd previously laser cut three cardboard trial templates to get a very tight 2mm fit. Then supplied a finished CAD file with the order. Because it's two tempered sheets laminated together, the finished glass cant be ground on at all. So only viable option is just grind out the hatch in a couple dime size spots where it's touching. The shop owner acted like I wanted to take a 6' grinding disk to it.. Finally I just took the installer aside and said, don't worry about the paint, it's all under the sealed parts of the glass. Just take an air grinder, make it fit flush.. He didn't seem to have issue with that. But now I have to paint the top edges and seam seal it, after they glue it down. That tinted acrylic sure seems like a better deal now...

Old 05-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Incredible!

Evidence of how a "project" turns into an engineering program/challenge.

PS, wondering if it couldnt have been laid up in fiberglass w/clear resin??
Ive never done a project for that purpose but have seen some.

I had a mold for an O/B cowling and was going to lay up a clear one for a hot rod project I did.

Let me know of you need some help testing.
Ill drive down if you need and extra set of hands and semi strong back.

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Yeah probably so.. I actually dropped it off to get the glass installed yesterday.

Everybody has been scared to death to touch that freaking hatch. First place I called couple months back outright refused to make these panels for liability reasons. Even after I supplied them the specs directly from one of the guys who built these at Baja. The original Ohio glass shop has changed hands, and new owner had no interest in doing them. Finally found a local shop who could get them water jetted, from another shop down in Cinci. Cost was actually less than the sheet of 3/4" acrylic before shipping and laser cutting fees.

Today I find a couple rough edges from cutting that kept it from setting perfectly flush. I'd previously laser cut three cardboard trial templates to get a very tight 2mm fit. Then supplied a finished CAD file with the order. Because it's two tempered sheets laminated together, the finished glass cant be ground on at all. So only viable option is just grind out the hatch in a couple dime size spots where it's touching. The shop owner acted like I wanted to take a 6' grinding disk to it.. Finally I just took the installer aside and said, don't worry about the paint, it's all under the sealed parts of the glass. Just take an air grinder, make it fit flush.. He didn't seem to have issue with that. But now I have to paint the top edges and seam seal it, after they glue it down. That tinted acrylic sure seems like a better deal now...

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 05-11-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:48 AM
Registered

Our biggest deciding factor on material was temperature. Since the turbos set just 6" under these panels, the tinted acrylic we first planned to use became questionable due to the heat. Not so much at speed, but more at idle or after shutdown. Stuff starts becoming workable at pretty low temps. So back to the OEM design we know worked well on top of 700SC's at least..

OPTIX acrylic sheet can be used continuously in a temperature range of 170-190°F. OPTIX acrylic sheet begins to soften between 210-220°F and starts to melt between 300-315°F. OPTIX acrylic sheet can withstand temperatures down to -20°F without noticeable changes in properties.
I moved the boat last week to a bigger shop in Belpre OH, just half mile from a very nice, not to steep, boat ramp. Much closer to all the places I typically go buy parts, but now 30 minutes from my house. So with everything setup to work quietly now, hope to make some good progress over next couple weeks. What I really need is a couple experienced wrenches to help bolt all this stuff together while I focus on wiring harnesses. My current help is really good at handing tools to someone.

Last edited by kidturbo; 05-13-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

More WOW
Old 05-13-2019, 05:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Man- that Beeeotch is going to have some Rooost for sure!
Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Sweet Mother of Mary, I have always had a hard on for those drives. They are a work of art.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.