How to fix a sagging headliner >

How to fix a sagging headliner

Notices

How to fix a sagging headliner

Old 10-28-2020, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 135 Likes on 90 Posts
Default How to fix a sagging headliner

Any recommendations on fixing a headliner that has just come loose in the center?
Old 10-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

Get a bottle of aerosol glue. Get a couple different size syringes, probably have to get them from a pharmacy. Take just the needle with its plastic base part of the size you think will work best and super glue it to the aerosol nozzle. Stick that puppy through the headliner in a couple different spots and spray around a couple times. Might have to spray for longer than you think to get a decent amount of glue out. I did this when I sold my Baja and I work beautifully.
The following 2 users liked this post by IGetWet:
abones (10-28-2020), madbouyz (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

And here I was thinking that I'm a real McGuyver

I wouldn't have thought about trying to attach the 'needle' to an aerosol can but would have suggested instead filling the syringe with liquid contact cement and poking it through the headliner . BUT , it would have to be a fabric / fuzzy sort of headliner as you wouldn't want pin prick holes in a nice bright white vinyl material .
Luckily my brother is in the medical profession so I can get all the 'needles' I want without having to look like I've got some sort of substance abuse problem begging in a pharmacy and trying to convince them that I need them for a boat project !
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 04:36 PM
Registered

I have a syringe I can use and a couple of cans of spray contact adhesive. I guess this winter I will be working on the interior. I'll have to McGuyver an airbag system to hold everything up while the glue sets.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

You’ll probably have to hold it for a couple minutes but once the adhesive tacks up it should hold itself. Spray it in there, push the headliner up getting the glue on both surfaces then let it fall again and tack up for however long that particular glue says to. Then press it back up and hold it for a couple minutes.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:21 PM
Registered

Well I finally got back to take another look at the headliner issue. The foam backing has rotted and turned to a gummy mess, I have to replace all the fabric. I tore the cabin apart and started ripping out the old fabric, what a mess. I will have to scrape the gooey foam off and then clean the surface with alcohol. I may call around and pay someone to do the headliner for me and I can do the rest and put it back together. If anyone knows a place that does headliners in Michigan let me know.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 75 Posts

Good luck! Only place I found was Appearance Products in Grand Rapids. $$$$...$$$$$$$$$. Still looking..
Old 01-04-2021, 03:59 PM
Registered

Any recommendations on where to buy headliner fabric? The original was a very light gray fabric with foam backing in a 72" width. I am having trouble finding anything like that. Everything I have found is like trunk liner or a heavy course fabric. I have everything prepped to install the new fabric, I just need to find something nice.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.sailrite.com/Seabrook-Wh...SAAEgIj6PD_BwE

https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.co...SABEgKm8vD_BwE
Old 01-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Registered

I appreciate the leads, I have samples coming from Sailrite, but they are the really coarse fabric and I was looking for something more cloth based. The vinyls are typically 54" wide and would require a seam that I am trying to avoid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.