Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Scarab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab-41/)
-   -   97 Scarab SCS 23 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab/161264-97-scarab-scs-23-a.html)

coolhand502 06-18-2007 08:21 PM

97 Scarab SCS 23

I just bought this boat in dallas. its my first high performance power boat , except for a big block jet boat if it counts! its a 502 mag, has external p/s system and a 25 pitch prop. i would like to know some more of the particulars about this type boat.

by the way how do i post pics?:cool:

BY U BOY 06-18-2007 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by coolhand502 (Post 2167680)
I just bought this boat in dallas. its my first high performance power boat , except for a big block jet boat if it counts! its a 502 mag, has external p/s system and a 25 pitch prop. i would like to know some more of the particulars about this type boat.

by the way how do i post pics?:cool:

you will find all you want to know on this site:D To post a pic you will have to upgrade your membership.

Prostreeter 06-18-2007 09:31 PM

If your boat has the stock Merc exhaust riser gasket be careful with that.They are known to leak and water could get into the cylinders and cause havoc.This happned to my 502 and I decided to replace the entire exhaust with IMCO so it wont happen again.Not saying it will happen just keep an eye on it.

As for the boat,what an attention getter this is at the lake.They didn't make many of these in their short production run.I'm sure your aware that this boat was featured in the 1997 movie "Face Off".

Did you happen to buy the boat in Lewisville,Tx.

There are a couple SCS owners on this forum and I'm sure they'll be around shortly.Have fun with that boat.I know I am.

Steve

coolhand502 06-21-2007 09:38 PM

97 scs

i did buy it in lewisville do you know the boat? what is the story with the imco steering is that stock or an ad on. i didnt realize it was a movie boat till i saw yours and did some research on the web. also do you know what the scs stands for. i also wonder are there any spare parts just in case. anyway i am stoked over this boat it is my dream to own a scarab and believe it or not my wife may be more stoked than i am, well maybe

www.myspace.com/coolhand750

Luke

Prostreeter 06-21-2007 10:12 PM

I bought my boat last January and I have been interested in the sales of this particular boat ever since I bought mine.I just saw your boat on the net.Dont know anything about it.

The IMCO steering was standard equipment on all 502's.Most of the SCS's came with a 454 and IMCO was an option.We both are lucky because 502's are very rare in our boats.

SCS....means super compitition series.

Cant get part for our boat (other than engine parts) because they are no longer in production.These were a short run specialty boat.

I have a 5 minutes of the FACE OFF scene using our boats in the movie.How do I upload it to this forum?

coolhand502 06-22-2007 03:01 PM

i cant post pics or clips till i upgrade membership but my boat is in "my pics" at my space i think i will take your advice and order a set of imco manifolds they claim a big power gain to did you notice that big of a difference

Luke:cool:

Prostreeter 06-22-2007 04:02 PM

I noticed a huge difference but mainly I lost 150lbs of weight off the boat.Those Merc exhaust are anchors.

Most people will give you advise to go with Stainless Marine exhaust.I went with IMCO because the guy who will be installing my procharger next month has done testing with both and his findings are that IMCO provides the best bang for the buck.

Prostreeter 06-22-2007 04:10 PM

Luke...

Do you know where Sherrwood Arkansas is?

My last boat was a 1995 Concord LS7 made in Arkansas.I've had several Concords over the years and they are great boats...very well made.

The LS7 sunk after hitting a submerged object memorial day of last year.Kind of glad it happened because I now have this awsome SCS.

Steve

coolhand502 06-22-2007 05:17 PM

I live in the next town over, I know Brian I used to sell him odds and ends when i ran a parts store in jacksonville I thought about having him build a boat for me but just had to have a Scarab. a procharger!!! man thats gotta be sweet how much boost ? Your right about the SCS it's a sweet ride. I won't be able to try it out till I get back from vacation, only got to test drive it at dealership for twenty minutes or so in between rain storms. I'll give you a full report when i get back.

Luke:cool:

Prostreeter 06-23-2007 08:46 AM

You haven't taken your boat out yet? WOW you must be choppin' at the bit.Have fun the first time out.

Yea,I know Brian and Fritz at the boat shop very well.That LS7 was a hell of a boat but a little under powered for it's size.I considered having them build me another boat too but when this SCS came along I said that's it,that's the boat I need.

The procharger boost will be no more than 5%.Even with that small boost it will give the boat another 10mph.We boat at 6k elevation and that equates to a 20% power drop from sea level.The boat should run low 80's,plenty fast for our small lakes.

coolhand502 06-23-2007 08:58 AM

its horrible i've had the boat and its rained and rained now we are going to florida for the week. hopefully next sunday I will be riding high on greers ferry lake. gotta learn the boat anyway so I will be taking it easy at first lol well sorta easy!!!

:cool:

502SCS 07-04-2007 07:23 AM

Hey Cool ..
Same taste in boats cars and bikes!
I have Hayabusa, 96 Vette and Scarab SCS ... We are in central florida..
Go to my website I have posted alot of info about the SCS including , spec sheet and the movie clip
Imco exhause was an option and offered stock.
SCS Info

coolhand502 07-12-2007 07:10 PM

man that is sweet hate the boats had to eat it in that scene but thats showbiz:eek: dude i am diggin your home movie its hard to see what the ride looks like when your drivin' it :evilb:
lucky us !!!!!:D gotta love Suzuki!! so do you have imco exhaust too, prostreeter mentioned he had them. I will probably make that upgrade this winter providing i dont have any trouble like prostreeter did. do I want the thumper or what, also my steering is kinda mushy in no wake zones like my jet boat was is that normal it is fine once you get under way just hyd. steering ?

:cool: coolhand

Prostreeter 07-12-2007 09:12 PM

Coolhand,
that mushy or sloppy steering your talking about is normal.I read on the general question and answer forum someone else brought this up.The actual term was dragging,sawying or something like that.I tried to find the thread again but couldn't find it.Not to worry.It's normal.My boat does it too.I got used to it now I dont even really notice it.

You dont want the Thumper exhaust,you want the Powerflow.You will definitly see a difference in the performance and how the engine breaths freely.

So what rpm's are you showing at WOT.Also,what does the speedo say is the top speed?

I'm really glad you love your boat dude.

coolhand502 07-12-2007 09:28 PM

Well to tell you the truth have not wound her up all the way but we were at 65 or so by speedo this past weekend it was kinda rough on the water:eek: But I am buying a gps tomorrow so I will keep you posted. When we bought the boat the salesmen maxed her out at 4900 rpm but the speedo had quit which they fixed after it left the water. The guru in the shop did say figure on 75-80 in his opinion, but you know what those are good for.

Prostreeter 07-12-2007 09:36 PM

The SCS was a 75mph boat out of the box at sea level.Tried,true and tested.I boat at 6k elevation and that's a huge power robber,that's why I'm having a supercharger installed.I've tried a mirage plus 23p, 3 blade and a bravo 1, 24p four blade prop.Just got a mirage 25p prop that I'll try this weekend.

coolhand502 07-12-2007 09:41 PM

thats the prop I have 25p mirage plus the tech said that was the bump to between 75-80 and 70-75 with the 23p

Prostreeter 07-12-2007 09:46 PM

I beleive 502SCS is using the same prop you are.I think I will try my mirage 25p this weekend.Not a plus though.

502SCS 07-12-2007 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prostreeter (Post 2196201)
I beleive 502SCS is using the same prop you are.I think I will try my mirage 25p this weekend.Not a plus though.

I use a Bravo1 4 blade 26P worked best for me

coolhand502 07-13-2007 02:49 PM

I guess i need to figure out my gear ratio is it on the drive ?

WING TRANSPORT 07-13-2007 06:05 PM

I am running the mirage plus 25p bur still seem to top out
at 70 @ 4800 rpm

coolhand502 07-13-2007 09:21 PM

I'll let you know how I make out this weekend, if the rain holds out

Prostreeter 07-13-2007 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by coolhand502 (Post 2196922)
I guess i need to figure out my gear ratio is it on the drive ?

The ratio will be stamped on the outdrive,upper left side.Sould be a 1.50.1

coolhand502 07-25-2007 04:23 PM

Oh man ya'll are not going to believe this I went out this weekend and broke the key off in the ignition, broke my toe on the bow cleat and took the tip of the out drive off on the launch ramp and still no gps speed to report:angry-smiley-055: but the wife learned to drive the boat so now I have to share :angry-smiley-044:

Prostreeter 07-25-2007 06:35 PM

Well that sucks.Becareful with that bad azz boat cool.
We took our boat out last saturday and had a blast.A nationwide marina,Marinemax was having their annual summer customer thank you day.Free beer,burgers and brats.

The people from Marinemax never saw an SCS before and they loved the boat.They could not beleive my boat was a 1997.They thought it was a brand new boat because of the condition.

One of the salesman says to me,"come on in monday and we'll get you out the that Scarab and into a Sea Ray".And I said only if it's a Pachanga.

NOT!

502SCS 07-26-2007 10:25 PM

Just put some pics together on a page of the SCS...
SCS Site

coolhand502 07-30-2007 02:26 PM

Love that boat 502, :Score-101010: Well the broken key is removed and replaced, the outdrive skeg will be welded tomorrow. It didn't affect the boat but it looks ugly so my buddy is going to just build up the tip and then we will shape it. Got my drive shower installed. I was wondering the hose between the p/s pump and the imco tank it does not appear to be pressurized but is a steel reinforced hose. Anyway the reason I ask is it is weeping a bit and there is not enough hose to trim and clamp again, so i was going to use regular bulk hydraulic hose :cool:

Unitek 07-30-2007 09:54 PM

502scs - ready to come off the orange boat yet ? :D

502SCS 07-31-2007 07:11 AM

You know with my last boat I had a few days on the water like that.. Very frustrating
Ya just have to grin move forward ..Write a check or two and be glad you got that out of your system and enjoy the fun :-)
Sorry you had a bad day

Originally Posted by coolhand502 (Post 2216834)
Love that boat 502, :Score-101010: Well the broken key is removed and replaced, the outdrive skeg will be welded tomorrow. It didn't affect the boat but it looks ugly so my buddy is going to just build up the tip and then we will shape it. Got my drive shower installed. I was wondering the hose between the p/s pump and the imco tank it does not appear to be pressurized but is a steel reinforced hose. Anyway the reason I ask is it is weeping a bit and there is not enough hose to trim and clamp again, so i was going to use regular bulk hydraulic hose :cool:

502SCS 07-31-2007 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Unitek (Post 2217620)
502scs - ready to come off the orange boat yet ? :D

Would not be fun but I could be...Still on the fence...
Looking at a house that is a little outta my range and an extra 30k could get me into a better down payment.:confused:

Unitek 07-31-2007 01:17 PM

egh... 30k is outta my range since buying this 120mph HTM lol

502SCS 07-31-2007 02:05 PM

You know what they say
The price is dictated by the measure of if the buyer loves it more than the seller..
And i do love that SCS :D

coolhand502 08-02-2007 07:53 AM

Oh No not that :angry-smiley-044: don't do it man resist the temptation lol

502SCS 08-03-2007 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by coolhand502 (Post 2221154)
Oh No not that :angry-smiley-044: don't do it man resist the temptation lol

Haha .. Yea I keep telling myself that as well.
Here is the deal I feel so stongly about the boat that I wont let it go unless someone wants it as bad as I do.
Lets face it they made 14 Orange SCS's ...
If they only made 14 of my 71 Chevelle SS it would be worth a million dollars!!
The boats are Fast, Stable, well built and hell ... just cool looking :-)
I use mine mostly in fresh water but have fun with it offshore as well..

coolhand502 08-09-2007 12:50 PM

ya'll are not going to believe this I am leaking from my outdrive looks like from the seal on the output shaft or the res. hose hard to tell yet :angry-smiley-044:

502SCS 08-09-2007 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by coolhand502 (Post 2228999)
ya'll are not going to believe this I am leaking from my outdrive looks like from the seal on the output shaft or the res. hose hard to tell yet :angry-smiley-044:

Hey Cool .. Is it at the output or in the engine bay (input)
The statement "res" threw me off.
I think I have the same setup as you .. External steering and all .. Mine is dry but have heard of others blowing out steering fluid at high RPM out the "res" but just a blow by type thing ... Few drops.. tablespoon ..

freshwaterfiend 08-09-2007 06:13 PM

Guys, can someone post a detail shot of the engine latch? I just bought an SCS and the latch is missing the metal clip thingy so it's not working right. I may need to fab something up - marina was supposed to but they are lazy.

But the boat was definitely worth it.

Prostreeter 08-09-2007 07:14 PM

I'll take a picture of mine this weekend Rob.

502SCS 08-09-2007 08:11 PM

Me too !

freshwaterfiend 08-10-2007 12:51 AM

Thanks guys,

Going to pick her up on Monday!