Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
My first offshore powerboat >

My first offshore powerboat

Notices

My first offshore powerboat

Old 06-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, i'm keeping all reciepts. Sad. Well anyway got my hatches installed. Now it looks like my batteries finally took a dump-they will not charge with my charger on deep cell 2 amp trickle-worked in the past. Sooooooo I will be in the market for batts. Anybody have any recomendations?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaxx 30
Yep, i'm keeping all reciepts. Sad. Well anyway got my hatches installed. Now it looks like my batteries finally took a dump-they will not charge with my charger on deep cell 2 amp trickle-worked in the past. Sooooooo I will be in the market for batts. Anybody have any recomendations?
Go to Costco and buy Optimas- a liitle more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. Last I checked they were around 140 or so-
Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered

Yeah, I figured optimas. Deep cycle, right?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered

Yeah, I figured optimas. Deep cycle, right?
I don't really know if they make a deep cycle or not- I just know they are 900 cca and they are really hard to kill( trust me I have tried- I let one freeze in my elky and it still came back!) I have to buy a couple of new batterys and battery boxes myself so its probably worth researching- anyone else got a opinion?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Registered

# optima batteries from interstate batteries( gel mats) commercial account is around $ 115.00 each.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I got the boted messing at, I already knew the starboard out drive would not raise. Other than that I thought it just needed a little TLC. Well..............I started messing with it yesterday and found the outdrive hyd. lines were not even connected. So I fixed that then realized the switch that raises the outdrive is no good. I pulled back the dash and, well, I get to find all new switches now. This will be fun. Oh well, first boat and all. I don't have much actual cash it he boat so I'm still bucks up.

I'm going to need suggestions on switches and toggles. I have outfitted race cars before but I know I need marine grade stuff for this. To bad summit racing don't do boats.

I am also in the prcess of putting up a full length awning over th boat so I'll be able to work on this thing when it gets hot. I envy the guys with $$$$$ that just store thier stuff in thier 3000 sq. ft. shops.....................................

Pics soon.
First off welcome to the club man!

What are your plans for the dash? I just bought all round switches with waterproof boots for my new dash I am building. If your thinking about upgrading the dash maybe it would be worth the switch to round. I know I just bought 16 round switches with waterproof boots for around $75.00. This is probably several hundred dollars less then it would have cost me to replace with westmarine switches. The other thing is if your going to build this boat on a budget then you have to shop smart. Perfect example. The rubber switch boots I bought for my round switches, West marine sells for $8.00 a piece. Where I bought them from $1.82

Here is the link to where I bought my switches from.

http://www.action-electronics.com/sw...switches#Guard
Old 06-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottie150
I don't really know if they make a deep cycle or not- I just know they are 900 cca and they are really hard to kill( trust me I have tried- I let one freeze in my elky and it still came back!) I have to buy a couple of new batterys and battery boxes myself so its probably worth researching- anyone else got a opinion?
Optima Blue tops are concidered deep cycle (read marine/RV). I came to the solution that they cost three times as much as standard batteries and last twice as long so for me the math was easy despite the fact that the Optimas is superior. I have six batteries size 27 and it works like a champ. One for each engine and three hooked up together for the house battery. They are connected so that I can play the stereo, burn the lights and whatever else until the batteries are dead and then still start the engines and recharge. I also mounted the Xantrex, which with the remote 2000 is a very nice way to monitor the electrical system onboard as it displayes the amount of hours you have left with the current draw. Here is what the charging system looks like (while under construction...):
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims
Optima Blue tops are concidered deep cycle (read marine/RV). I came to the solution that they cost three times as much as standard batteries and last twice as long so for me the math was easy despite the fact that the Optimas is superior. I have six batteries size 27 and it works like a champ. One for each engine and three hooked up together for the house battery. They are connected so that I can play the stereo, burn the lights and whatever else until the batteries are dead and then still start the engines and recharge. I also mounted the Xantrex, which with the remote 2000 is a very nice way to monitor the electrical system onboard as it displayes the amount of hours you have left with the current draw. Here is what the charging system looks like (while under construction...):
Good Lord dude!

Nice setup!

How do you like the Battery Link Acr's? Any problems with them?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kims
Holy sh#t Batman- now you are scaring me! I am glad I only have twins- seriously though nice job. Do you really need 6 batteries or do you have a little overkill going on?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered

All I can say about the 6 bat system is WOW! Were did you stash the 6 bats?
About the switches...............what I want to do is make the boat ready for salt water if thats what I want to do, so if cheaper switches can get it done I'm all for it. BUT in my experience working as a hyd. aviation mech in the navy and also working in the avionics shack I was never pleased with the switches with the rubber boots. The boots don't last long. I will let you know where I'm going with the dash when I get to it. Right now I gotta burn 250-300 $$$$ on batts.

Quick Reply: My first offshore powerboat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.