one for the sanitary minded

Notices

one for the sanitary minded

Old 05-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one for the sanitary minded

Hi All,

I want to replace my ageing porta potti with a new toilet. I find on a big night out with a few adults & kids on board, the toilet tank fills pretty quickly. Plus I'm sick of visiting the pumpout station on a regular basis!! I'm trying to research the available options out there. Can I get a modern porcelain type toilet with removable holding tank similar to a porta potti's but with a more sanitary setup? I'd like a bigger tank so the visits to pumpout are fewer & maybe a macerator. Is it possible or do these types of toilets have to be built into the boat with plumbing etc?

Thanks,

Jez
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys!!
I thought there'd be somebody with experience in this area?? Nobody uses the head in their boat??
Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can buy a porcelain toilet with the macerator pump.
It pumps to a holding tank. This is what My boat has.
I think you can get them at boaters world.
Yes you can install them in your boat but you will want to have a head ( bathroom ) this will not be portable.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

That's no problem I have the bathroom compartment but want to replace the ageing porta potti to something a little more permanent. Anyone had experience with the Sealand 711-M28 Traveller? It looks very good. What is involved to switch to a permanent style toilet with holding tank? Is there much modification below decks?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What year is your SCARAB? Mine is a 1992.
I have the holding tank under the rear seat on the starbord side.
You will hav to run a hose from the toilet macerater outlet connection to the fitting on the side of the tank and then run a large hose from the fitting low on the side of the tank up to the hull mounted flush out fitting. You will also need a vent hose and fitting up next to the flush out fitting. Mount it a little lower.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered

Thanks Tinkerer,

She's a '90 excel. I don't have the tank. I only have a 20gal freshwater tank under the port rear seat. My porta potti just uses it's small holding tank underneath with a hose straight to the dockside discharge. The head is bolted in so the tank can't be unclipped & removed. So dockside discharge is pretty much every time we go out. It becomes quite a pain!!