Costs to Power a 38 >

Costs to Power a 38

Notices

Costs to Power a 38

Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costs to Power a 38

Can anybody give me a realistic cost to power a 38 scarab? Nothing special, just a nice solid, reliable set up to run in the 60's. Economy and reliability are most important to me.
I would need estimates for drives, steering and engines.
Thanks

Bryan
Old 09-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on a couple things. First, what do you have to start with as for engines, something used or nothing? Second, what do you want to buy used, new crate motor, custom built? third do you have any accessories? I think that if I was doing this I might, and I say might go for a stock 502 set up via a crate engine for about 10-12K. That would be nothing fancy. You might even consider some 454's, purchase used, rebuild them locally, buy used accessories and have a good deal for 6K-9K. Someone might be able to do it cheaper and someone might say it will cost a lot more, but if I was doing this those are the figures I would have in my head eeping the numbers on the high side of my estimates. That would be for engines sitting on the floor not installed. If you go thru with this project let us now how much it does cost.

FYI: different subject matter-- I busted a drive earlier this year when I hit debris in the lake. Two mechanics estimated 15K to replace and install. I did it for 8K, bought brand new parts(and not the cheapest I could find on e-bay) and installed everything myself. You can do it cheaper if you are wiling to learn and do the work yourself.