Questions >

Questions

Notices

Questions

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Questions

Ok I have lots of questions. Some are directly related the boat I have (Scarab II Twin 454)
Some are general, and some are to keep me from killing myself.

Is anybody putting big power in these older Scarabs?
Speeds you're seeing?
Are they a good hull designs for higher speeds? 75-80...85mph?? Can you make this a fast boat or should I enjoy it for what it is. I love the lines and layout of the boat more than most newer ones, so I wouldn't mind dumping the coin into if it's worthy.
Are these strong hulls?
I was looking at a buddies older Hallett and I could see consider differences in the stringers. The Hallett had 6 full length stringers that were fairly tall. It made me question is my hull this strong? Westcoast I thought I read a thread awhile back where you cracked yours? Did you hit something or what did you find?

Outboards vs. Inboards I see lots of bass boats hauling ass with outboards. Are they better than inboards? They always make me think fishing boat.

Thru hull exhaust. What are the real benefits? I have Stainless Marine exhaust with these massive risers, 6" OD?? They elbow down to the Y pipes on my TRS's and out the props. Seems very restrictive to me.

I have more but I'll stop here.

Thanks for any input and answers.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE: the exhaust...Unless you like it quiet....drill some 4" holes in that transom and make some noise!! You are restricting horsepower running through the props.

RE: big power...I gave up going fast in my boat. You would need over 600hp a side to do 80 in that boat. Also the drives are rigged so deep it really limits what you can do.

RE: outboards vs inboards...who wants a weedwacker bolted on the back when you could be running chevy BB power.

If I was to re-power mine I would go with stock 496HO
Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Registered

Westcoast that's the kinda straight forward response I was looking for. Thank you. I ordered my 4"tips last week. I can't wait.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

areyouliving, The old scarabs will take big inch motors well. If you go to 81 scarab project from hell, look at post from straightjacket at post 27. That boat had two 540's trs drives and ran 92 mph. we are going to re rig the boat in a few weeks and are looking for triple digits when done. Same motors but #4 drives and stellings boxes. Brian
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarrab30
areyouliving, The old scarabs will take big inch motors well. If you go to 81 scarab project from hell, look at post from straightjacket at post 27. That boat had two 540's trs drives and ran 92 mph. we are going to re rig the boat in a few weeks and are looking for triple digits when done. Same motors but #4 drives and stellings boxes. Brian
Yeah but at what cost?? I love my boat-but I can't drop 25k into a boat thats not worth 25k when its finished...no matter how fast it goes. If money were no object my boat would be doing 80. That being said...Good luck with your project. Please keep us updated.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by areyouliving
Westcoast that's the kinda straight forward response I was looking for. Thank you. I ordered my 4"tips last week. I can't wait.
MEASURE TWICE AND DRILL ONCE!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered

92mph! Holy Crap thats smokin fast. How does it handle? Yes please keep us posted. I'd love to see a build thread or something similar. I'm sure we all would.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
MEASURE TWICE AND DRILL ONCE!!!!
Ok this may sound a little off, but is it possible to have the exhaust tips slightly submerged when im at at idle. I love the sound of the open tips but around the dock sometimes it can be a bit much. My ski boat is this way but clearly a completely different setup.
If so what concerns do I have? The tips I bought have internal flaps
Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yeah but at what cost?? I love my boat-but I can't drop 25k into a boat thats not worth 25k when its finished...no matter how fast it goes. If money were no object my boat would be doing 80. That being said...Good luck with your project. Please keep us updated.
The 30' panther with twin 500hp and trs drives will do 75mph. 500hp is not very much hp. I have seen a 30 panther with 1000's and it did over a 100. So I wouldnt worry about puting to much power in that boat. As long as all the wood is good in it, with no rot. and if you like the boat who cares how much money you put in it ,you never get it back any way when you sell it.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by areyouliving
Ok this may sound a little off, but is it possible to have the exhaust tips slightly submerged when im at at idle. I love the sound of the open tips but around the dock sometimes it can be a bit much. My ski boat is this way but clearly a completely different setup.
If so what concerns do I have? The tips I bought have internal flaps
with a name like yours you are worried about it being to loud???

Keep them high and dry!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.