Scarab Panther always a work in progress

Notices

Scarab Panther always a work in progress

Old 09-12-2023, 04:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Decided to leave the AT home today and give WK a shakedown before it goes to its new home. Ran flawless as always.
Did you sell the Panther Jason?
Old 09-13-2023, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,208 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
Did you sell the Panther Jason?
No, I was just going to ship it to my friend in Florida for him to use and I can just fly down and use it also.
BUT... The other day I put 50 gallons of gas in it and took it to the launch. I pulled the drain plug before I launched to make sure any rain water was not in the bilge and I could check later for if it took on or leaked any water. Pulled the plug and 5 gallons of gas came out. Now I'm contemplating the next step. New tank or part out. My middle floor is only plywood with resin over it with paint screwed down. It might not be that much for me to put a new tank in it.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie
no, i was just going to ship it to my friend in florida for him to use and i can just fly down and use it also.
But... The other day i put 50 gallons of gas in it and took it to the launch. I pulled the drain plug before i launched to make sure any rain water was not in the bilge and i could check later for if it took on or leaked any water. Pulled the plug and 5 gallons of gas came out. Now i'm contemplating the next step. New tank or part out. My middle floor is only plywood with resin over it with paint screwed down. It might not be that much for me to put a new tank in it.
🤦🏻‍♂️
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (09-13-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 08:32 PM
Registered

So I have the middle access panel to the tank removed. The tank is right up alongside the stringers. Also, the rear bulkhead. Do I have to cut the boat apart to take it out?
Also appears I had a critter making a nest in there.
Twin O/B Sonic (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Ugh.

Ive removed several tanks and it’s always a ****ty job.

It appears the support for the deck panel for over the tank is bolted to the sides of the adjoining decks.

If so, removing that will give you better access to the edges of the tank.

If you can safely get a 10” sawzall blade between the tank and deck sides, start there as the tank is likely foamed in place so ain’t gonna want to come out!

After that, I switch to a wood cutting hand saw and cut as much as I can, getting as close to the bottom as I can.

Then start using flat bars and wedges to try and break the bond between the tank and foam.

Normally there is someplace you can attach a lifting strap to.

Sometimes it’s just a tab to attach a ground to for the sending unit.

As in, not designed to be a lifting point so you’ll have to be very careful w/how much force you put on it.

Sometimes your lucky and there are lifting tabs on the tank.

Regardless of how/where you attach to, then build a lifting boom over the tank and hook a come along between that and the tank.

Unless you’re lucky w/having real lifting tabs, only apply a small lifting force on the tank and work on the edges w/your hand saw, the flat bars, etc.

And be prepared for part/all of the foam to be water saturated too.

Another option is to attach lifting brackets to the tank which you remove and patch once complete.

Be prepared for it to test your patience!

If you are lucky and it pops right out….., go buy a lottery ticket!

So I have the middle access panel to the tank removed. The tank is right up alongside the stringers. Also, the rear bulkhead. Do I have to cut the boat apart to take it out?
Also appears I had a critter making a nest in there.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 12-29-2023 at 06:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Twin O/B Sonic:
hblair (12-29-2023), resurrected (12-29-2023), Rookie (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The good news is the gas will help loosen the foams grip. When I removed mine from my 30 scarab, it wasn't easy but it wasn't too awful either. If you have a way of grabbing the fittings with a strap or something in the front and rear of the tank and applying some upward pressure while you're cutting foam would help a lot. Glad you decided not to part out, that's too nice a boat!
The following 2 users liked this post by hblair:
Craney (12-29-2023), Rookie (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 08:48 PM
Registered

I cut all the foam away from the sides down to the bottom of the boat. I put my Harbor Freight gift card to good use. 12" blades and a nice thin hand saw.
Heath, did you have to cut out a section of the rear bulkhead to remove you tank (orange area)
Also, I'm thinking of dislodging it by lifting it up by the filler neck.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hblair
Glad you decided not to part out, that's too nice a boat!
I think the boat is just photogenic. After working on it, it is a little rougher than I was believing.
2 new engines, 2 rebuilt transmissions and TRS drives, I guess it has to be worth something??...
Twin O/B Sonic (04-07-2024)
Old 12-30-2023, 07:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I cut all the foam away from the sides down to the bottom of the boat. I put my Harbor Freight gift card to good use. 12" blades and a nice thin hand saw.
Heath, did you have to cut out a section of the rear bulkhead to remove you tank (orange area)
Also, I'm thinking of dislodging it by lifting it up by the filler neck.
I’m sorry I don’t remember for sure if the bulkhead was still in or not. It was about ten years ago. I do remember picking up on the tank though with probably a tractor front end bucket with a strap attached to the filler neck. I also remember prying on the sides a lot. Hope this helps some
Old 02-18-2024, 04:17 AM
Registered

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

How is the tank removal coming?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.