Old 05-12-2015, 01:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, how do the single engines do?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK just read this post- I bought a '97 Scarab 29 a couple of weeks ago, it's in nice shape, 360 hours and every option. We have used it in the San Juan islands the last 2 weekends and it was an easy boat to learn. Mine has the twin 350's and I wouldn't do it any other way. It planes fast but what really surprised me is how stable the boat is in a couple feet of chop we get on the bay out to the islands. I can cruise at around 2900 rpm and it's about 40 mph I think. It will go 63 or so on the gps with full fuel and 4 adults in a light chop. It's so stable and cuts through the waves incredibly. Mine has a magic brush paint job and EVERYONE here wants to chat about the boat because it looks brand new and there are not a lot of offshore speed boats up here. The good- It's fast, stable, easy to drive, I have Imco steering, and trim adjust on the wheel and it's just smile across your face fun. The I can live with- It's not an overnighter like I am trying to do with it. Down below is functional for a day trip but the layout with the porta potty and lack of storage is made for a day at the lake. Mine sounds good at idle and as you go faster it directs more exhaust through the props which I love, this is not a good area for loud boats. I am happy and love the boat however its a stepping stone to a 33 for me with a head and sink and microwave.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JRalston
Also, how do the single engines do?
I believe the 29 is getting on the edge of what a single motor can handle. I had a lake friend years ago with a 29' and single BBC. It was usable, but seemed to be a bit of a pig and would only run like 55 mph if I remember right. I do remember him kicking himself in the butt for buying a single in such a large boat. Twin small blocks is the way to go I think.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Registered

I definitely will post ALL the results I get and don't mind sharing anything I've done so for.
Originally Posted by pondrunner
I think you have a good setup going but you need higher pitch props/I run 23+ now with only the 350 Mags...25 Mirage+ should get you 2mph and put you real close to the predicted 76!...the Formula has a twin step hull, 700 pounds heavier, drive ratios at 1.65 which allows it to spin 30" bravo props, and has a raised x-dimension compared to the Scarab design. I hit 80mph gps with this setup. I've heard of -2"Imcos on the Scarab 29 but not -3". Maybe too much, but it is known that this hull responds well to raised x-dimension. Doing the calculations, you do seem to be loosing speed somewhere(props I'll bet), 800HP should get you 76mph in this hull according to the numbers...raising the drives may push you past it. Your Scarab is beautiful, it was the graphics and year I wanted, but had to settle on the pricing of the '97 racing flag graphics instead. I'll get some gps data from my run this weekend to give you some comparison numbers. If you do go with shorties, post your results...that's how the rest of us learn what can be done! I've considered the shorties myself for a later upgrade.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Registered

Some GPS numbers, 3 dudes in the boat, 2/3rds tank of fuel, 80 degrees on flat water....38mph@3000 rpm, 46mph@3500 rpm, 67mph@4900rpm wot. I'm sure I can get it to 68mph+ on a bit of chop to air out the hull.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That's what I was thinking about the single. seems like a lot of boat for one motor.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Ducatiracer
OK just read this post- I bought a '97 Scarab 29 a couple of weeks ago, it's in nice shape, 360 hours and every option. We have used it in the San Juan islands the last 2 weekends and it was an easy boat to learn. Mine has the twin 350's and I wouldn't do it any other way. It planes fast but what really surprised me is how stable the boat is in a couple feet of chop we get on the bay out to the islands. I can cruise at around 2900 rpm and it's about 40 mph I think. It will go 63 or so on the gps with full fuel and 4 adults in a light chop. It's so stable and cuts through the waves incredibly. Mine has a magic brush paint job and EVERYONE here wants to chat about the boat because it looks brand new and there are not a lot of offshore speed boats up here. The good- It's fast, stable, easy to drive, I have Imco steering, and trim adjust on the wheel and it's just smile across your face fun. The I can live with- It's not an overnighter like I am trying to do with it. Down below is functional for a day trip but the layout with the porta potty and lack of storage is made for a day at the lake. Mine sounds good at idle and as you go faster it directs more exhaust through the props which I love, this is not a good area for loud boats. I am happy and love the boat however its a stepping stone to a 33 for me with a head and sink and microwave.
Very good information. keep us posted.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Just bought my 96 with twin 350Mag MPIs. Love this boat. Motors were recently refreshed so didn't go over about 4200rpm for now. Still it planes so quick, pops up on the water in about 3.5 seconds. With the k-planes down. Cruises at 50 in chop all day long. i have the Imco steering and bravo 1. Only thing I will change quickly is the Keikafer controls. The throttles are in the middle of the trans controls. I find myself using 2 hands trailering and docking which leaves none for the wheel! So far not pretty!

Coming off plane quick,y is awesome too. My old formula would stuff and then wash the stern.. This things comes to a nice stop...
Old 06-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Registered

I had the same problem with controls,,, I took them apart and back together with the trans levers on the inside and throttle on the outside. Really like the way it turned out

Originally Posted by txyankee
Just bought my 96 with twin 350Mag MPIs. Love this boat. Motors were recently refreshed so didn't go over about 4200rpm for now. Still it planes so quick, pops up on the water in about 3.5 seconds. With the k-planes down. Cruises at 50 in chop all day long. i have the Imco steering and bravo 1. Only thing I will change quickly is the Keikafer controls. The throttles are in the middle of the trans controls. I find myself using 2 hands trailering and docking which leaves none for the wheel! So far not pretty!

Coming off plane quick,y is awesome too. My old formula would stuff and then wash the stern.. This things comes to a nice stop...
Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

That is great to know! Thanks for the feedback 01. I was wondering if that was possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.