Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 03-18-2018, 10:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 284 Posts

Headliner was in decent shape considering. It’s the same stuff as in the 30 footer. I haven’t decided yet on the material, but if it’s the carpet style it will be a shorter ore modern looking pile. I’ll have to grind out a lot of hanging glass and blemishes though. Pretty sure this is why they use the super thick 70’s fur looking stuff. It hides al their buggers.

Mine had some 6” or so wide 1/2” thick 70’s looking dark stained wood screwed to the center of the ceiling.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Here's what the center moulding looked like...

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-f82edc76-c8de-420b-bfa8-ac500a46ce4c_zpsw3npyhdn.jpg
Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Seeing that you have to redo everything anyway, I'd just use some nice foam backed vinyl. Mine was all vinyl and none of that 70's fur, I'm going to guess '81 was the last year they used that. One nice thing with vinyl is that it cleans up easy. Now, if you want to get fancy, you could do the headliner in a microsuede, faux suede leather. I believe I saw a new Cigarette done in slate grey Alcantera. It looked awesome. If I didn't have my headliner bought already, that's what I would be using.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

When it comes time to marry the deck to the hull, what materials will you be using to glass it together?........not much room in the nose when you have to crawl up in there and glass the seam together ...it's a "b***h"
Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

looks good, how'd the raised center section clean out easy, hard ?

how about filling the raised center section w/ 3 pound foam ? a gallon kit would do it.
be faster than mixing a ton of cabosil, schloopin it in the ditch setting the small squares, schloopin more cabosil on top then glassing over them.

mix small batches of foam and pour it in, next day cut it down flat/ flush so a wide layer of 1708 can run down it,
hot coat and set the 3/4 ply on the wet glass and weight it down, next day that board is bedded down, glass over it and done.

just an idea, the work your doing is very good and the boat is coming along awesome.
good idea cutting the 3/4 ply on a 45 like that.

Last edited by outonsafari; 03-20-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That sounds like a good idea. I've already moved ahead on this though. I appreciate the input. I'm looking at recessing some lighting into this piece anyway. I havent had much time to work lately hope to get this done by the end of the week.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Scippy was gonna tab it like dan mcnamara suggested, but because of the major undertaking it would be, I think I'm prolly going to clean both pieces up real good, and use 3m structural epoxy on the joint. We'll of course test fit, get it all set and ready, at least 2 guys in the boat with wrenches and screw guns on the outside, to get the job done before it kicks. I am confident it will work. The stuff we use we use it on door skins, roof panels etc. It's made to hold up in a collision, and it does. I believe with all the bolted bulkheads, coupled with the entire deck joint being bonded and screwed into place, it will be a very rigid setup.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

I tabbed the entire shoe box fit (1700 w/epoxy) 2 coarse's complete for my 27' Magnum after hearing how a member here lost his life when his 27' Mag sedan stuffed...........bonding the deck to hull probably the most important 'safety" aspect of your restoration. Keep up the great work............your doing a wonderful job!!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Haven't had much time to work this week. Our area got hit by a tornado monday which which will mean we're gonna be busier, but also, nephew Trent who is now our main body tech had his house destroyed in the tornado. They're ok but have a big mess to clean up. So Brian has been helping Trent all week.
I did do a little the other night before I ran out of vinyl ester again. I ordered 3 more 5 gallon pails, hopefully will be enough for the cockpit and engine compartment. We'll see..

Cleaned up around the ditch.

Placed the coring in there before I ran out of vinyl ester. Had to lay them in there where the old pieces were, that's why it looks irregular. The glass was so thin, if you ground it much you would start seeing gelcoat. So I just put them in like they had them.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

sorry to hear about your nephew losing his house. best thing obviously no one got hurt.
when do you expect to get the resin delivered ?
do you have plans "changes/mods" for the cockpit and engine room ?

to answer your q's from my thread.
the rigging pipe i used was 3" thin wall pvc. glued in w/ silicone.
splash date was last year by the cocoa beach race !
maybe an update in a week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.