Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 10-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Just to give you an option...consider a crank mounted pump and pull suction thru the transom. They flow a bunch of water, easy to service and get you out of depending on a belt to drive your water pump.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sort of adds to your "Outside the Box" thinking.
I like the concept of that.
Does it eliminate the impeller?
Old 10-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

Always liked the simplicity of the crank mounted water pumps but don't see them on any performance boats.

Do they have a flow problem or burn up from excessive RPMs?
Old 10-01-2016, 02:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 284 Posts

Test fitting the transom pieces. I have decided to go back with regular plywood instead of composite or marine plywood. Why you ask? Well the boat has regular plywood everywhere else. And the wood I'll be putting in will not be exposed to water. It will be coated and protected everywhere...

Old 10-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

wow! moving along fast again !
Old 10-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 476 Posts

As stated above ^^^^^ you are making good progress now.
With the deck off, even dummies like me can clearly follow what you're doing. Almost looks easy!

Much enjoyed thread.

RR
Old 10-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab kv
I like the concept of that.
Does it eliminate the impeller?
KV...I'm running Bravo I's...that have no pump anyway and I'm pulling thru the drive. The only impeller is right behind that brass plate on the front of the housing.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Always liked the simplicity of the crank mounted water pumps but don't see them on any performance boats.

Do they have a flow problem or burn up from excessive RPMs?
Tommy...no flow problem...in fact...running on the hose, if you juice the throttle just a bit the suction will collapse the garden hose !! As far as RPM is concerned...I can spin up 5K fairly easily. Honestly...I would think there would be less parasitic loss as opposed to the belt/pump arrangement...plus you don't have any worry of losing your pump entirely from a belt failure.

When I set my rig up with Bravo's I studied the options. Marine Power, Crusader, Indmar, Volvo and a few others use this set up with great success and reliability. Once I started putting the dollars together I found that the cost was roughly half of what the Merc set up was going run...."Slam Dunk" for me.

Last edited by sprink58; 10-02-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Registered

"Test fitting the transom pieces. I have decided to go back with regular plywood instead of composite or marine plywood. Why you ask? Well the boat has regular plywood everywhere else. And the wood I'll be putting in will not be exposed to water. It will be coated and protected everywhere..."

So Heath...what do you do in your spare time ? LOL

Obviously you have a very understanding wife
Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks guys.
Here's my situation. I'm trying to figure out what to do here. I was planning on swapping the engines out of my 30 footer into this boat, as well as whatever else I needed. Then I thought, maybe list the 30 footer intact on eBay and see what it would bring. I like my 489's and I think I could get a lot more power out of them with some better heads. I still have to buy a trailer, stand off boxes, cockpit upholstery, interior (might have minimum interior), gauges, not sure what I want to do.

Dan, what brand of pickups do you recommend? The 30 footer has these bottom pickups and seemed to flow a lot of water. I guess these aren't as good in bigger water? Pick up more air?

Sprink I appreciate the water pump idea. Those look really cool. We recently replaced the impellers in the ones we're running now, I think we'll prolly run them.

What do you guys think about these tabs? They were original to the boat. I don't like how the hoses enter the hull above the tab, whereas the hoses on the k planes on the 30 footer are sealed behind the tab itself...

Any of you guys with a 38' mind taking a photo of your engine compartment bulkhead? Does yours have all the fuel solenoids like this? Mine was just screwed to the deck and the bottom of it is rotted off. It doesn't appear to have been glassed to the boat. Sorry for the bad photo...

Last edited by hblair; 10-02-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Heath, Mine is identical to the bulkhead. The only reason for the solenoids was the 3 tanks. BUT I would suggest replacing then with a mechanical selector valve, I had mine fail last summer and that was not a good thing especially with turbo engines. Plus the selector valves are a very small passages. I would recommend calling Parker and finding a 3 way selector valve that can flow gasoline. Plus remember that IF you do stick with electric solenoids that they have to have a 100% duty cycle. Also ditch the factory fuel water separators they have small inlets too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.