Looking for Scarab 1

Notices

Looking for Scarab 1

Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotorr22
CL and the web is still a Scarab 1 wasteland. One 86 SS in IN asking $8K
For what it's worth I paid 1500 on a trailer (no power) in 2011. But as I mentioned, it became a project

Why only focus on a Scarab 1 ?

Matt
Old 11-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have passed on several projects. I have been building cars and boats since the 70's and have pretty much hung up my DA.

Why the Scarab 1? I guess it is because I like the looks. Boats, like cars are very subjective. Different strokes for different folk's?
Old 11-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Registered

I have passed on several projects. I have been building cars and boats since the 70's and have pretty much hung up my DA.

Why the Scarab 1? I guess it is because I like the looks. Boats, like cars are very subjective. Different strokes for different folk's?
Yeah I hear ya I like the looks too, and they are rare in my area - especially the outboard version I have. This project will be great when done, but it does consume a lot of effort. Every time I think about the boat there's something else I want to do to it, but then circle back to remind myself these are not rocket ships to begin with.

Matt
Old 11-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Registered

No, they aren't rocket ships, but you could improve it somewhat. My old Superboat with a 200EFI 2.5L Merc ran 68 MPH on GPS. With the 300X and a sportmaster gearcase, it was close to 90. I ran 12"-13" of setback. I'm seeing high 50's reported with 200's on the Scarab, so there is work to be done.

One of the reasons the Challenger/Superboats/Shadows were so fast was due to the pad. When the boat was up and running, there was not a lot of wetted surface in the water. You could design a similar, albeit wider pad for the Scarab 1, but there would be tradeoffs. Falling off the pad with 21 degrees or more of deadrise is not for the faint of heart at high speeds.

If I had an outboard Scarab, I would add a setback jackplate with at least 10" setback to begin with. I would also knee brace the transom to the stringers.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Registered

No, they aren't rocket ships, but you could improve it somewhat. My old Superboat with a 200EFI 2.5L Merc ran 68 MPH on GPS. With the 300X and a sportmaster gearcase, it was close to 90. I ran 12"-13" of setback. I'm seeing high 50's reported with 200's on the Scarab, so there is work to be done.

One of the reasons the Challenger/Superboats/Shadows were so fast was due to the pad. When the boat was up and running, there was not a lot of wetted surface in the water. You could design a similar, albeit wider pad for the Scarab 1, but there would be tradeoffs. Falling off the pad with 21 degrees or more of deadrise is not for the faint of heart at high speeds.

If I had an outboard Scarab, I would add a setback jackplate with at least 10" setback to begin with. I would also knee brace the transom to the stringers.
Oh yeah, I'm all over this type of stuff, I've been into fast outboards for 20 years. I don't want to widen the pad - it's already pretty damn wide (10 1/2" if I recall correctly - boat is in storage right now). I'm planning on cutting in a transom notch, taking the hook out of the pad, and sharpening all the strakes. I could do more but overall due to the weight of a solid hull that will always be a limiting factor. It will be rigged with a jack, initially probably 8" when I first rig with my 225 OMC. Ultimately this boat will be getting one of my V8s, and it won't be stock. Boat will have 3 knees, I already added a crossmember just below the splash well to spread the loads to the knees better.

Matt
Old 11-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Registered

Excellent!

Matt, is that an actual pad or just a flat keel? I have not crawled under one. The Superboat has a raised pad 6" wide. Too narrow IMO. When the design was further developed by Image (Team Shadow), the pad was widened to provide better stability. At 68 MPH, the boat would go through chop and handle in a very balanced manner. When I added the additional HP and weight, it grew fangs. I ended up going to a completely new setup with setback, height and prop. I had aluminum plates on both sides of the transom tied to the stringers with SS bars.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Here is one for sale, supposedly turn key

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5873936497.html
Old 11-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Registered

Thanks. Talked to the gentleman last night. Very nice guy.

Distance is an issue.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

I am local if you need assistance with anything, just PM me
Old 11-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Registered

PM sent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.