Looking for Scarab 1

Notices

Looking for Scarab 1

Old 11-14-2016, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotorr22
Excellent!

Matt, is that an actual pad or just a flat keel? I have not crawled under one. The Superboat has a raised pad 6" wide. Too narrow IMO. When the design was further developed by Image (Team Shadow), the pad was widened to provide better stability. At 68 MPH, the boat would go through chop and handle in a very balanced manner. When I added the additional HP and weight, it grew fangs. I ended up going to a completely new setup with setback, height and prop. I had aluminum plates on both sides of the transom tied to the stringers with SS bars.
Hey Rotor,
It's a flat pad, 10 1/2" wide if I recall correctly (boat is in storage right now). You can see part of it in the photos on the Craigslist ad. I'm making the transom bullet proof so that I can hang anything I want on it. Transom was replaced by previous owner and is bone dry but needs some additional glass work.

Yeah, the Challenger-derived boats all have narrower pads and are faster, lighter boats and I suspect better in the rough too. I haven't had this one in any really rough stuff but I suspect the wide pad will hurt it.

Matt
Old 11-17-2016, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search is over I found a mint condition 1986 Scarab 1 SS and purchased it.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rotorr22
Search is over I found a mint condition 1986 Scarab 1 SS and purchased it.
Sweet, we need pictures ! What kind of power ?
Old 11-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Registered

It looks like I can't post attachments.

Power is stone stock 260. Can you say sloooooow?
Old 11-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 632 Likes on 292 Posts

Congrats and I bet You'll be extra grateful this Thanksgiving Looked pretty bleak for a few days there, many of these pretty little boats seemed to have gone to waste unless they were pampered, due to the building issues of the era.
Feel free to email some photos to me and I post them up here.

Cheers, Lars.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Registered

Yes, that is true. A couple of tubes of silicone and some epoxy would have saved a lot of boats, as would some common sense care. Most of the stuff I see at the ramp these days has been rode hard and put away wet.

Spent a few minutes today with a friend of mine that has a boat upholstery and repair business. He too shakes his head when he sees what comes through the door. Funny thing is, many times the tow vehicle is meticulously maintained
Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Registered

Well, its been a couple months since I brought the Scarab home and cold weather here in NE Ohio has put the kabash on doing very much with it. For the most part, the boat was as advertised. Some minor issues such as the nav light not working and a few blown fuses are easy fixes. The original interior is in exceptional condition albeit a little faded in spots. No rot though. The gel is very good and the engine compartment is excellent.

The only issue that really pissed me off was the passenger side windshield. It has a displaced crack emanating from one bolt hole that runs half way up the windshield!! Bad! The seller knew about it, but did not disclose it, worse bad. These windshields are very expensive to replace and even more to ship. I got one quote from a shop in FL for $700 plus another $200 to ship it. One can understand why it wasn't mentioned.

There is a shop in Detroit, at 7 mile and Gratiot no less ,that thinks they can reproduce it, but has bulked at giving me an estimate.

Does anyone know of a shop in Ohio that can reproduce an acrylic windshield if they have the original to work from?

Last edited by rotorr22; 02-08-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Registered

Hey Rotor let me know how you make out on the windshield because I have exactly the same problem. From what I understand it's fairly common.

Matt
Old 02-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Registered

Every Scarab 1 I looked at had a cracked or broken windshield and everyone thinks it is so easy to make one out of 1/2" acrylic. Ah huh.

I was successful in finding a shop that has made them before. I ordered mine from UPD Plastics in Florida. They were somewhat more reasonable than any of the other plastic shops I contacted. The broken side of my tinted windshield was $395, plus the ride. It is about $50 cheaper if you have a clear windshield. Lead time is 5 weeks, so if you live up north like me, get your order in now.

You will have to drill your own holes. I'm going oversize and chamfering them, as I do not want to go through this again.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/6011122180.html

I saw this today and thought of this thread. I know you already bought one but incase anyone else is looking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.