Wellcraft 26 Nova ST - What props are best

Notices

Wellcraft 26 Nova ST - What props are best

Old 07-25-2018, 02:51 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Default Wellcraft 26 Nova ST - What props are best

Sorry for putting this in the Scarab forum but there is no Wellcraft forum for some reason.

Anyway, it is a 1990 Wellcraft Nova ST (26ft) with twin 5.7 carb's mags (270hp) with Alpha Drives. They are original motors and i know they have not been touched. I have known this boat forever. Got all new transoms, some stinger work, interior and etc, etc this year. Boat runs strong. 4900rpm with the original Quicksilver 21" Cleavers. They just got banged up..so since they have to be replaced now is a great time to update to a better prop.

Anyone ever play with more modern props (ie: newer than the Quicksilver Cleavers - lol) on these boats with this power ?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 284 Posts

I assume we’re going for all out speed here? What kind of speed are you getting out of the cleavers at 4900? What is the max rpm those motors should be turning? I’ve always heard the cleavers are more for a surface type drive, not so much at the standard drive depth.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 284 Posts

I actually have a set of pretty decent mirage quicksilver ( not cleaver) 21 pitch props that came off my trs boat. I think they’ll fit an alpha, may be wrong. If you decide you’re interested let me know. I’ll treat you right.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

I like Mirage 3 blades on my Panther (not so much on my Active Thunder). Bravo 1's just have to much stern lift and the boat bow steers and somewhat porpoises. That's my $0.02
I think a 21 Mirage would be a good place to start. And yes they should fit an Alpha.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Thanks for your help guys. i agree on the 21 Mirages worth to try.

Just seeing and hoping someone has been there and done that on this boat with this power.

again, we know how it performs with the current and original equipment cleavers, and since they need replacement, why not go to a a known better prop if there is one for this boat/power.