my 97 scarab 22 bad decision >

my 97 scarab 22 bad decision

Notices

my 97 scarab 22 bad decision

Old 06-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua View Post
Oh dear me, once again youre comparing the situation to human relationships. It's a boat!

The bond between a man and his boat can't be explained. It occurs on a whole different level and no divorce attorney or legal document should ever stand in it's way. It's not a hollow promise of love offered before a Vegas one night stand, it's not blurted out in a drunken haze just to get into bed, it's real, it comes from the heart.

OP, advertise it cheap, do essential maintenance and enjoy it while watching the market. If you get any genuine offer think hard, in a situation like this, your first offer is often the best.

Sorry about your misfortune, I hope some better luck is on the way.

RR
Lol yall are funny! Thank you Sir for your empathy!!!
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (06-30-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 02:54 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

These 22s were not really designed to do more than 70 mph. Even if you spent all the money and got a 502 MPI with say an IMCO shortie you'd see only low 70s.Tabs are a good idea if you plan to occationally have 4 adults onboard or do any watersports. They are not really needed otherwise. This old OSO thread will give you some ideas if you start doing floor, rubrail and hopefully not too much more. It's such a good looking design that a lot of them sold new, but there are not that many around anymore due to questional build quality. Try to run her as is to the greatest extent like RR suggested and advertise her and see if someone bites. This model is a agile lakeboat, but doesn't like much more than a 1' chop. Btw, a 3 blade 23P Mirage Plus prop should work well for you and you'll have versatility and at WOT you'll see 55-60 mph. The 23' Scarab mentioned by 90viper is the SCS 23 that Wellcraft introduced in the movie Face Off with Nicholas Cage and John Travolta. It's a little bit collectible since Team Scarab was involved and it was layed up with expensive composite materials and built quality was very good. Look forward to follow your progress Shane.

Old resto thread involving 1995 Scarab 22: 95 Scarab 22 Re-Rig

A Scarab 22 in Finland pushing itself to the max:

Face/Off movie 23 Scarab SCS boat chase:

Last edited by larslindroth; 07-02-2020 at 12:22 PM.
1997SCARAB22 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:38 AM
Registered

Thank You Sir for all the advice and information, especially the link to that re-rig thread ... I would like to think mine is one of better builds that WellCraft turned out in the later 90s than that 95 but either way its its 2020 now and 15+ years on it from that fellas boat, and its its been carrying the weight of a big block its whole life...
Call me crazy though, but if I was to hit the lottery Id do the same type of project on mine!
Thanks Again Sir, and have a Happy 4th of July weekend!
Shane
larslindroth (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:49 AM
SB
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997SCARAB22 View Post
Thbut Im aware tabs on a 22 boat prolly isnt gonna be a very popular idea with most...
Tons of small i/o boats running around and tons of those with tabs. Fact.

Many pretty fast ones too.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Almost any boat can have rot and any boat 15+ years old will more often than not have moisture issues. Its just the nature of the sport. Dig in and enjoy!
Old 07-02-2020, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Tons of small i/o boats running around and tons of those with tabs. Fact.

Many pretty fast ones too.
I hear ya, I know there are plenty of Em out there, but its one of those opinion things that seems to be about 50/50 on the subject...I myself dont think its a yes or no question, I think it depends on the individual and the boat, and what you do with the boat...
Old 07-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
Almost any boat can have rot and any boat 15+ years old will more often than not have moisture issues. Its just the nature of the sport. Dig in and enjoy!
Yes Sir...