Time on your 300x >

Time on your 300x

Notices

Time on your 300x

Old 03-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Time on your 300x

I am running 300 promax's but have run Amsoil, Klotz, now just Mercury Premium blend. My motors have a touch over 300 hours and like Skaterjim said, my fastest speed was my last time out also.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamboater
My engine cowl has come loose one time, and that was in extremely rough water. I normally dont boat in really rough conditions, so that has not been a problem for me. As far as props, you are slipping the 32's too much if you are only seeing 1 mph gain. Could be a dinged prop, not sure. How far above the bottom are your prop shafts? I would think you boat would run a faster top end with 34's, have you tried those yet. I have had problems with my lowers also. Replaced many prop shaft seals, broke a tooth off of forward gear on the standard rotating lower, and recently cracked the carrier on the counter rotating lower. So far, no prop shaft problems and am still running the small prop shafts.
No dings if there is off they go to be fixed. There is some confusion on my part as to exactly now you are measuring. But if you trim motor to 0 or level take a level from bottom of boat to middle of shaft it looks like 7/8 above. But of course you can't do this so this is the middle measurement from the high side vs the low side aka left and right side of the lower unit. Is this correct. Would like to try 34's with the 32's boat has killer low and mid range would give some of that up for some top end.

Last edited by 28Skater300x; 03-04-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

Here is how I measure. First the boat needs to be on a level surface (I normally do this in the garage). With the propellor off level each prop shaft, forget what your gauge says. My guages are normally pretty close but its more important to me that both prop shafts are level. Run a level from the center of the nosecone, right at the tip, to the lowest portion of the boat. This will be the bottom of either the right or left sponson depending on which side you are measuring. I have found that my boat ran the best speed at 1 3/4" above the bottom. I am running 300 promax's, I was only running 7-8lbs of water psi, I know the 300x's will not let you run the water psi that low. I have heard anywhere between 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 above the bottom is optimal. Remember, I have the older 300 promax's with the 6300 limiters, and I have run a best of 111.3 gps. To my knowledge thats a pretty good number with that setup. I believe Skaterjim has run over the 121 mark with 300x's.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered

Of course these speed numbers are very light on fuel and everything else. As you well know, the 28 hates added weight.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Registered

If you use a laser level it makes it real easy to see where it is above the bottom.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Registered

Thanx I'll check that tonight. All last year I ran props turning in to see if I would gain any mph. Of course the first time I had the boat out 4 200 pounders full of fuel, lunch run. 30 mins into the trip had some nice water so I open it up fastest boat ever went 112 so I figure wow turning the props in made a hugh difference. Little harder to get on plane though and more of a hand full in smooth water. Since then 111 lite on fuel just me does not make any sense. Unless it was the tide, moon, sun spots something like that. Got to admit haven't done alot of testing just out to have fun but after 4 seasons and reading some of the posts on OSO about you guys doing 115-121 with the stock 300x's makes me want to post those numbers. Seems also that a jackplate is about 5-6mph from what I read.

Last edited by 28Skater300x; 03-05-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Registered

I went from running 109mph to 117 mph (with some weight) with jack plates, external pick-ups and raising the motors to 1.5 above the bottom. I think I could go another 1/4 inch and maybe pick up a little more speed, but I want to get some weight out of the boat and see how it runs first. With the jack plates the boats rides more level and is less "flighty" in rough water.

I have 60 hours on my X's with no problems, but I have been told the gear cases are the weak point. Lakeland Marine in Havasu makes a vent kit that is supposed to solve the problem, but I have not put them on yet.

Here is a video of mine running 117 on fresh water against a current, and you can see the water is really flat. I want to see 120 this season. You can see how flat the boat runs. Before the jackplates it ran very bow high.

http://media.putfile.com/Skater-Nov-05
Old 03-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Registered

Haulin azz boat looks nice an flat.Yep all the right conditions your seeing 120. Just measured lowers looks to be 3/4 above bottom. Maybe I'm not off as far as I thought.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28Skater300x
Have 340hrs did reeds at 170hrs they looked good. The one bushing on the alternator bracket seems to wear quickly. Compression is good but the engine with the counter rotating lower seems to run less rpm's at wot. think I will swap to other engine to see if it does the same to that one. Anybody else seen this? Nothing but problems with lowers checked oil after every day. Usually changed after every weekend. But without knowing at what point water got in, well you know the rest. I'm on third new set, put expansion tanks on this set guess I'll see if that helps. Engine cowls want to exit in rough water tried adjusting but to no avail. So put 200mph tape on the seam if it is rough. One other thing don't under stand is why my 14.5x30 runs 1mph less than my 14.75x32 lab finshed props. But at the same cruz speed they are 500 to 600rpm's different. Anybody else having these problems or any others?
Except for the 340 hours I could have writen this myself.
Somebody needs to come up with a pin for the cowls like the 2.5's.
I also ordered the vent kit and will give them a try, for now Im just keeping a set of spares
Old 03-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered

Where did you order the vent kit from? Lakeland in Havasu makes them but I have not seen one yet. Kind of wondering what it looks like.

Quick Reply: Time on your 300x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.