Time on your 300x

Notices

Time on your 300x

Old 03-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: Time on your 300x

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
I went from running 109mph to 117 mph (with some weight) with jack plates, external pick-ups and raising the motors to 1.5 above the bottom. I think I could go another 1/4 inch and maybe pick up a little more speed, but I want to get some weight out of the boat and see how it runs first. With the jack plates the boats rides more level and is less "flighty" in rough water.

I have 60 hours on my X's with no problems, but I have been told the gear cases are the weak point. Lakeland Marine in Havasu makes a vent kit that is supposed to solve the problem, but I have not put them on yet.

Here is a video of mine running 117 on fresh water against a current, and you can see the water is really flat. I want to see 120 this season. You can see how flat the boat runs. Before the jackplates it ran very bow high.

http://media.putfile.com/Skater-Nov-05

GREAT VIDEO!

Good attitude. Where are you placing the weight?

Gerry
Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you order the vent kit from? Lakeland in Havasu makes them but I have not seen one yet. Kind of wondering what it looks like.
Got mine from a local dealer. Think they ordered them from Mercury. I'll find out tomorrow and also post some pix's. Few things I didn't like was the hoses were only 12" long. What the heck am I suppose to do with that. It's not like they were cheap either. Had to go have hoses made that was another $250. The bulkhead fitting was for the transom not big on drilling into it unless absolutely have to. So had to modify that to. Let's face it we are the R & D'ers
Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by knot-right
GREAT VIDEO!

Good attitude. Where are you placing the weight?

Gerry
I was reffering to the Gas I had on board at the time. It was a spur of the moment thing to shoot some video and we were heavy on fuel. I actually though about putting some weight in the sponsons, but since I added the jack plates I don't think it needs it now.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28Skater300x
Got mine from a local dealer. Think they ordered them from Mercury. I'll find out tomorrow and also post some pix's. Few things I didn't like was the hoses were only 12" long. What the heck am I suppose to do with that. It's not like they were cheap either. Had to go have hoses made that was another $250. The bulkhead fitting was for the transom not big on drilling into it unless absolutely have to. So had to modify that to. Let's face it we are the R & D'ers
I will have to see the pics. It sounds like they are supposed to vent into the bilge? The ones Lakeland was making ran up along side the cowlings from how they were described to me.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

I will have to see the pics. It sounds like they are supposed to vent into the bilge? The ones Lakeland was making ran up along side the cowlings from how they were described to me.
Sorry did't get a chance to do it today working two jobs. Seems like the more I work the more the boat takes. Working now be home in the morning definitely get pix's tomorrow morning and post them.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Registered

Think if I was going to do it again I would make it myself.
Attached Thumbnails Time on your 300x-boat-2-007.jpg   Time on your 300x-boat-2-008.jpg   Time on your 300x-boat-2-009.jpg  

Old 03-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you explain the purpose for this overflow set-up. Looks like typical outdrive application. Is the hose in the lower unit just tapped into it or is there further work done inside the lower.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rsess
Can you explain the purpose for this overflow set-up. Looks like typical outdrive application. Is the hose in the lower unit just tapped into it or is there further work done inside the lower.
When oil heats it expands when it expands it creates pressure. Overflow gives it some were to go. After running hard I've seen it put as much as 3/4" of added oil in it. Just a fitting in the overflow hole to accept the hose. The hose in the top of the overflow is to see if I can see what the pressure gets to. Just some R & D on my part hose was already there.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered

Thanks for the pics. It looks like it would not be to hard to make. I might have to look into just doing it myself.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rsess
The weak point of the 300x's is the lower unit blowing out seals and letting water in. I have cracked the vent screws after pulling the boat out of the water and there is a fair amount of pressure that is released.

Quick Reply: Time on your 300x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.