My new 2007 30 SKater

Notices

My new 2007 30 SKater

Old 05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PowerboatsNW
We tested the new 2007 28 skater last week in havasu and I was shocked how little of gas we used. The boat can run all day on 50 gallons. 300 mile plus range!
My new 30, has been just amazing on fuel burn, and it is huge compared to the 28.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mark (marylandmark),

Do you have the race edition system view of the standard version?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Standard view-

I was never able to get an answer on what the difference in the two were except for the prop slip function.

I am a "real world" boater- coolers, food, fill up when I get to a 1/2 tank of fuel, fishin' poles, tube, spare clothes onboard, etc. That being said- I could gain 5-8MPH unloading my crap so prop slip and whatever else the race view gives is more for a boat like yours, not mine. I am not saying that in a bad way and hope I am not coming off sounding like a pr1ck (hard to convey "how" something is being said on the internet...)

Thanks for sharing all your good info and pics!
Yeah, I think the whole prop slip thing is way over rated. For years I have been using a tach, a GPS and my brain to determine prop slip. The race edition does, however, have tons of engine data screens, both real time and history that I do not see in the manual for the standard view.

I am allot like you in that I am also a 'real world' boater. We usually have a bunch of kids with us, tubes, rafts, dive masks, cooler full of drinks, and so on. We often go the various islands, only accessible by boat, anchor up in very shallow water, and enjoy the beach.

From time to time I leave the kids and passengers home, and just run hard and fast, I guess that is what 10 years of professional offshore racing does to you.

The reason for asking what system view you had is that you have the same motors as I do, and I had a question about engine performance template #13, and how it reports a particular data field from the 300xs. Mine seems bit goofy and I was wondering what yours was reporting. Skater is checking with Mike Livorsi, and Jim is checking with Merc Racing, at the OSS race this weekend.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What props are you running on the 30'?

Any update on your top speed?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Thycon
What props are you running on the 30'?

Any update on your top speed?
14 1/2 x 32, 3 blade cleavers, 1.62 gears

Still in 'double oil', break in mode, see post #104, this thread for previous speed report.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Any more info?
Still stuck at 95mph.

I spoke with a merc racing tech and he said they hold back the power at 95% and use 'double oil' during the break-in period. I have almost 12 hours on each motor and still not performing the way I expect. I will be running them at high rpm a little longer to see what happens.

Skater had me speak to the dealer that had the Powerboat Mag test boat (30 skater with T/300xs) and they said they had to put tons of time on the motors at high rpm before they saw the expected performance.

I keep very exact records on run time, distance, fuel burn and oil burn. I am still burning double the amount of oil I would expect to burn, so I guess I am not quite done with the break-in, 'double oil' period.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
Still stuck at 95mph.

I spoke with a merc racing tech and he said they hold back the power at 95% and use 'double oil' during the break-in period. I have almost 12 hours on each motor and still not performing the way I expect. I will be running them at high rpm a little longer to see what happens.

Skater had me speak to the dealer that had the Powerboat Mag test boat (30 skater with T/300xs) and they said they had to put tons of time on the motors at high rpm before they saw the expected performance.

I keep very exact records on run time, distance, fuel burn and oil burn. I am still burning double the amount of oil I would expect to burn, so I guess I am not quite done with the break-in, 'double oil' period.
Wow, ok, now I'm a little nervous. I just bought a 30' Skater with 300XS's from Ocean Outboard. I don't get the boat for a few more weeks. It is still being rigged. I never expected to get a top speed similar to the 28's but I figured atleast 108mph with a light load and minimum 100mph loaded down. What is the max RPM of the optimax's after break-in? I'm sure you've done this math. Just curious what you expect after break-in. BTW, have you sold your 28'?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ExtremeDaytona
Wow, ok, now I'm a little nervous. I just bought a 30' Skater with 300XS's from Ocean Outboard. I don't get the boat for a few more weeks. It is still being rigged. I never expected to get a top speed similar to the 28's but I figured atleast 108mph with a light load and minimum 100mph loaded down. What is the max RPM of the optimax's after break-in? I'm sure you've done this math. Just curious what you expect after break-in. BTW, have you sold your 28'?
Don't be nervous. It is an awesome boat and 108mph is realistic. 14 1/2 x 32 props, 1.62 gears, 6200rpm, 7%slip = 108mph. BTW I have never owned a 28.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The break in is 6 hours? I have a pic of the sticker on my other PC the was on the side of the motors that went some thing like this:

1 hour- forget what is said because this is run at Merc Racing

2nd hour run between 4000-5400RPM, change RPM every 2 minutes and don't trim motors too high

3rd-5th hour run between 4000-5400, can run less than 10-20 seconds burst at WOT (5800RPM for 25-30 shafts, 6100 for 20 shaft), change RPM every 10 minutes and don't trim too high.

I was told double oil stops at 6 hours when smartcraft should stop displaying "break in active" screen...

I am at 16 hours on my 2007 300XS's- still seem to use a lot of oil but then again I have the 1.8 gallon tanks so maybe it just seems that I am filling them up a lot. I have used 220-250 gallons of fuel and about 6 gallons of oil (I think...)

Yup. Thats what the stickers said. I do not ever recall seing 'break in active' on screen, and I can not find any such message now. I am going to run again later this week, we will see what happens.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
Don't be nervous. It is an awesome boat and 108mph is realistic. 14 1/2 x 32 props, 1.62 gears, 6200rpm, 7%slip = 108mph. BTW I have never owned a 28.
I can't wait! Keep us updated on your break-in. Sorry about the confusion on the 28.

Quick Reply: My new 2007 30 SKater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.