Like Tree6Likes

What does more or less Rake do for the performance of a prop

Old 12-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2016, Skater, 318 Flat deck, Wide body, Merc 400R's
Default What does more or less Rake do for the performance of a prop

Hey Guys, Not sure if this is stupid or not sorry but Im posting this in the skater forum because I'm looking for info on similar boats to mine. Im wondering from all of you with cats what kind of rake you have on your props relative to the size of your boat. Also whether you feel you've needed or tested more or less degrees. My understanding is the more rake in the prop the better it carries the bow. Not sure if thats totally right or not. Also what happens if you have an excessive amount in a prop and it becomes counterproductive. Thanx, Steve.

Last edited by Nastybug; 12-03-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Registered

My Boats: Wicked powerboats sport cat, 30 Spectre

More rake will add bow lift. Most standard production props (bravos/hydromotives) that work well are 18*-22*. A lot of the cleaver style over hub props are less. I have one being built at 13*. Herring can even build them in half degrees...
Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2013 28 Skater 300xs's 2001 Fourwinns 26 Vista, 1996 Fourwinns/Donzi19, 1987 American Skier, 1957 Lone Star "Maxine the Water Queen" restoration

I agree with Todd. More rake lifts the bow. The best Dewalds for 28's out now have 17* rake.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanx guys, My current 5 blade cleavers Merc made for me are 13 degree Rake and the boat requires a lot of positive trim to run on the high end. I thought with more rake it wouldn't require so much trim and motors could be directed more forward than up and possibly increase speed.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 308 Skater w/ 300x's

Steve my man you are a good learner!!!
Anything above neutral trim in a perfect world is wasting thrust. We all just need some of those magic props they used on the 32 with 300xs's!
Old 12-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
My Boats: 28 Skater-Scarab 31 excel-502 Jet- Bennington SSR tritoon- (2)Honda F-12x's-Please send help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
Anything above neutral trim in a perfect world is wasting thrust. We all just need some of those magic props they used on the 32 with 300xs's!
Yep, that's a real head scratcher. A 32' hull with XS power that can spin 34" wheels to speed. I'm guessing she's pretty light.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightplan View Post
Yep, that's a real head scratcher. A 32' hull with XS power that can spin 34" wheels to speed. I'm guessing she's pretty light.
I think shes pretty slippery as well
Old 12-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
Yeah Ron, Im wondering if they will give us that info. They are herrings we know. I spoke to jim at herring and he said trying the props that they used on the DW with 400Rs on my boat he would start with about 20 degrees of Rake which is way different than My Merc props were made with. A buddy of mine from this site is trying that same set with less pitch from the DW/400 boat. He has the M29 DCB with 400s. can't wait to see what they do for him. He's been running Bravos I believe. My boat ran not good with bravos. I think 106mph maybe. That M29 wasn't to far behind me at about 104 I think so if it gives decent improvement it may be an option for me along with Dewalds. I need a second set of backup props so I might as well see if I can do better than what I have now.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: Wicked powerboats sport cat, 30 Spectre

I just posted on your thread in the general but these are the props. They where purchased and worked to run on the 300xs motors bolted to a DW super stock boat in the SBI Marathon race. Jeff should be able to get you the rake specs off these pics with the herring serial number.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...es-w-pics.html