OB Skater CG Discussions >

OB Skater CG Discussions

Notices

OB Skater CG Discussions

Old 04-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Equalizer
I gave TNT Bobs 4" Hydraulic brackets. They look real strong i will let you know. I am going to play with filling in my notch in small amounts at a time. It will be a lot of work but i will let you know what happens. The notch on a 30 is way to big 5" deep and 22" in length. I think a 28 skater is 2.5" deep and 16" length. If you run a 30' hard in ruff water you cant keep the bow down. I have owend 3 differant 28' and they are balanced very well.
Very interesting point. I considered adding a plate like a Bennett trim tab to reduce this if needed. You could adjust length and/or depth until it produces then desired results the go with something permanent glassed in.

I always considered length but not depth on it. Are you going to alter one or both factors!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF
Balance point when static is one thing. Then you start getting these rigs running, the aero begins moving things around and everything becomes variable. Cats especially with how they start packing air. How do you decide where the center balance point is?
yea lots of variables for sure, but you'd have known point to work from and as you moved things for feel you could go back and check it out the same way...get to see how it changes with what you stated...that would be interesting to see.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Putting it together is where the fun is.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF
Balance point when static is one thing. Then you start getting these rigs running, the aero begins moving things around and everything becomes variable. Cats especially with how they start packing air. How do you decide where the center balance point is?
When you can run in 2-3's with an occasional 4' at 80mph and not feel the nose lift!!!! LOL
You are 100 percent correct things when dynamic are not quite the same as on a scale. I also have had different props for certain conditions. It all factors into the equation.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

What pickup would be good on a 28 to get ballast water? How big a tank? 15 gallons? Mount a 2500 rule inside the tank?
Old 04-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the fuel burn as a problem if you want to go long distances.

We are gonna go 180 miles on the dam to dam run (2 miles/gallon = 90 gallons X 8lbs = 720lbs).

That's gonna change almost 800 lbs in the rear over the course of the day.

Would be better to start a little light in the bow or better to end a little light in the stern??

Very interesting.....
Old 04-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

The fuel tanks in an outboard Skater are generally OVER the CG. Other that all the weight (of fuel) making the boat sluggish, it really shouldn't effect the CG on your 28, much. I assume you'll do the dam to dam run in the early AM so boat traffic (wakes) shouldn't be an issue. I would not add any weight to the nose for that run.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Brett,
You have already had a taste of how your boat responds to rough water with no ballast. If it were me and this is only my opinion I would put 50 gallons a side in no more, I would remove any access weight you can. anchors, additional oil etc. I would 100 percent run the ballast up front based on how the boat is rigged and run the 32" pitch props you had. They will allow you to run well over 100mph and carry the weight better than the 34's.
I can tell you with the way your boat is rigged the ballast will provide far more benefits than not having it. Unless you are the only boat on the lake that day out front you will be good to go.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Brett,
You have already had a taste of how your boat responds to rough water with no ballast. If it were me and this is only my opinion I would put 50 gallons a side in no more, I would remove any access weight you can. anchors, additional oil etc. I would 100 percent run the ballast up front based on how the boat is rigged and run the 32" pitch props you had. They will allow you to run well over 100mph and carry the weight better than the 34's.
I can tell you with the way your boat is rigged the ballast will provide far more benefits than not having it. Unless you are the only boat on the lake that day out front you will be good to go.

Just my .02 cents.
Good plan..

That's what we will do.

Now if you guys could all show up and swat away those damn PWCs we will have a clean run
Old 04-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

How accurate or not at all would one be with taking a side profile picture of a boat parked in calm water and having someone with knowledge look at it? Could you tell by the water line?

MDS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.