Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery. >

Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Notices

Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

I don't know of any quality tech (that I would recommend touching my own boats) that would have been excited to work on a fish boat, 'toon, runabout or towboat when there is a boat like Nastybug's there to be worked on b/c they are always well laid out, easy access and clean (and the owners are definitely happy to get the boat back). Hell, it's like a free steak dinner to a tech to work on a high end boat vs. a daily grind service tub (granted, when your location is all offshore performance this mentality doesn't really apply - LOL).

As far as back benching b/c its warranty - you can loose more $$$ not getting them out the door. If a service dept. thinks they can make more $ putting a CP boat in front of warranty, they shouldn't open the doors on Monday morning....the warranty programs have been in place from the beginning and spelled out from the get-go. Besides happy customers are the best referrals and repeat customers / boat buyers. Dealerships prosper and die by this.

Sorry to sound negative but the time frame is in keeping with what could be endured with end of summer shut-downs that MFG'ers take..not a RE/RE power head.

When you get the 318 back - enjoy the break-in period and the next 300hr - hopefully all trouble free!

Last edited by speicher lane; 06-27-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey!

i have a 400R on a 34 years old race offshore hull. Great engine.

the break in is max 75% trottle 9 mins and 1 mins wot. Then max 75% trottle for 9 mins and 1 mins wot. For 4 hours. Vary trottle the 9 mins. No idle. Do not baby the engine.

look forward to results. I bet you get 4-5 mph better top speed 😁

cheers Toffen
Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well today we got all the answers and some I didn't really want but my guys found all the problems and fixed them or will fix them. There was an electrical ground issue that was traced back to a faulty Battery switch which needs to be replaced. It is by passed for now and will have a new switch shortly. We also found 3 gallons of water out of about 30 total in my starboard tank that after a lot of discussion I feel came from old gas I bought that sat thru the winter and may have had some water in it itself from before. This water situation had nothing at all to do with this current powerhead situation. I was the one who got stuck back in the beginning of May when nobody was even close to getting out on the water yet. They Drained all the fuel and will be ready to go tomorrow. Anyway took a while but as usual my guys at Coty got it all right that is assuming water test goes well tomorrow. Now that I know its 99% done I'm all good.

The other option with the gas is that some one came up my lagoon in the middle of the night and put 3 gallons of water in my starboard tank. My tanks run separate engines on their own side of the boat. They are not connected in any way. We also checked the gas filler caps and they were all in good shape. I dont really think this was it as it would be very awkward to do given the height of the boat on a lift and the difficulty of opening the caps. I know there are people out there who are not big fans of mine. Anybody who thinks they are liked by all is fooling themselves. All in all I think Im pretty safe except for my speed boat times on the water but I generally try to keep my distance from most. Im sure I don't do that well all the time. Ha. But going to those measures wow. Anyway Thanx guys for getting done and I will be out on the water this Friday Breaking my new powerhead in for 4 hours or so. Ha. Cant wait to see what happens with two normal working engines. Steve.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Hey Guys, Got the boat. Yeeeha. The test drive this morning was rough. The new motor had a bad thermostat that had to be replaced and then we decided to drop the motors a quarter inch to bring the water pressure up a bit. Really didn't get a chance to get on it hard. All the 4th of July/ weekend idiots were out and the chop was a bit brutal to even attempt running very hard. Plus I wanted to take it easy for a little bit to be nice to the new power head. Tomorrow is a different story. Light wind all day and get out before the idiots. They were coming at me from all directions and wave runners, WOW.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:38 AM
Registered

How's she running? I was along side you last night coming out of Kettle Creek in the red 35 Fountain...

Scott
Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 PM
VIP Member

Hey Scott. I was wondering if it was somebody I knew. Ive met and become friends with so many great people thru this whole boat building process. That night was a little rough for my girlfriend. She just had some Back procedures done and was not liking the bumpy chop. I think I ran up to about 100mph before I knew I couldn't push her, my Girlfriend anymore. She's running so much stronger than before. That starboard motor still lags behind a little bit but not like before. Maybe 100 rpmish. It still probably has to losin up a bit. My other motor has almost 300 hrs on it and is much more broken in so Im hoping that gap will close a bit. My Girlfriend and Me went out this morning and ran up to 113mph much quicker than before. Also it was 90 plus degrees and a bit humid. In the past I couldn't get her up to like 108mph when the temps got like that. Anyway I could have easily gotten to 114mph or 115 if i kept at it but I was heading into the wind and I haven't played like that in a while so I backed off. We also had dropped the motors 1/4 inch and I had my girl and about 70 gallons of fuel on board. I don't have any vessel view shots as I hadn't reset it from last season when I was at 116mph and about 7033rpm. That was still registering as my best but I reset it today. One tach was almost on 7000 and the other was about 6900. Im sure with less heat and time on the throttles open the motors will end up on the limiters at what speed I don't know but it'll be as fast as my33pitch 15Dia Merc 5 blade cleavers will take me. More to come.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Old 07-03-2018, 07:08 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Nastybug
So I couldn't figure out how to make this a regular size . I got it on here hugely. Ha.

Anyway so I was out the other day alone and ran this number. I thought it was pretty good considering it was about 95 degrees and the heat index was 105. Ouch. I was able to get this number with actually about 80 gallons on board. This pic is on the lift which alters the fuel reading. It was great to see both analog Tach needles hovering right over the 7,000 mark for the first time since Ive owned the boat. I think in normal to cool weather with normal humidity Id be on the limiters at around 117mph. Last year during this kind of weather I could barely get up around 105 with that bogus power head performing as it did. Never under any circumstances have I seen that Starboard Tach up over 6800 rpm. It was depressing. I got to the limiters with the Port motor only last year and the starboard lagging and was at 116mph. I think Im also going to drop the motors a hair again as my Presure is at about 13 for port and 10ish or less for starboard at wide open. Id like it a bit higher. My slip is 9 and I think it can get lower. Im still up over 2 inches and I think its high in the wrong direction and Im 6 inches in closer to the boat than most as I have no notch in hull at the transom or brackets to set the motors back farther. Anyway Im going to keep on plugging away. I bet with normal to cool weather and a set of 34s Id be at 120mph although I don't think 34s are right for everyday use just top end which really isn't what Im looking for. Maybe a set of Merc Cleavers with a 15.25 dia and the 33pitch I have now would be perfect. We will see. Its nice to finally have two equal motors.Took a couple years but its done. Yay.

Last edited by Nastybug; 07-03-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Steve, those are strong summer numbers. Enjoy the Summer

Last edited by Zero Patience; 07-09-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Default New prop

Ok guys, so i've been running around in my Merc Cleavers since the begging of the season. 15 x 33 five blades. I kind of slightly dinged them up a bit so i put my Dewalds back on. They are Bravo style hub 15.25 dia and 34 pitch. 20 rake i believe. Have been modified. They run so nice and smooth i had forgot about that. I was on my way up past 110mph when i ran my starboard motor thru a big clump of sea grass and it was over. The seagrass has been terrible here lately. I am waiting on a set of merc cleaver 15.25 dia x33pitch which i think will be perfect for my rig how it sitts now. 34s may push it faster in cool weather but thats another story. Also i spoke to Dave Dewald who is in a reworking stage for his props that will be used on the 400R Sportmaster. His work should be very interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.