Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery. >

Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Notices

Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve, it has been my experience that those numbers are a reference and vary from boat to boat on when they set up the trim with full up and down in the vessel views or some manufactures do not even bother. Not sure why their is a difference in the motors being level. Level is level unless the boat was not level when they took the original measurements. I run mechanical indicators as my 300x motors do not have the sensor. But when I had my 28 with the 300xs motors I found the sensor on the motor was not always exactly the same. It seemed to drift a few numbers from time to time. Not a lot but a little. I would always cross check them against the mechanical ones. I check the mechanical ones on my 308 every time I change the gear oil and adjust them if necessary. I think in regards to the trim needed to get the boat the boat run that also depends on a lot of things. Prop rake, engine height, turning in or out, type of prop only to name a few.
I would use an angle finder to find out how many degrees it shows from level to the 35-37 number. You may find it is only a few degrees. Once you know that try some other values and see if the ratio stays the same.
Not sure if this makes sense or not but just a suggestion.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Steve, it has been my experience that those numbers are a reference and vary from boat to boat on when they set up the trim with full up and down in the vessel views or some manufactures do not even bother. Not sure why their is a difference in the motors being level. Level is level unless the boat was not level when they took the original measurements. I run mechanical indicators as my 300x motors do not have the sensor. But when I had my 28 with the 300xs motors I found the sensor on the motor was not always exactly the same. It seemed to drift a few numbers from time to time. Not a lot but a little. I would always cross check them against the mechanical ones. I check the mechanical ones on my 308 every time I change the gear oil and adjust them if necessary. I think in regards to the trim needed to get the boat the boat run that also depends on a lot of things. Prop rake, engine height, turning in or out, type of prop only to name a few.
I would use an angle finder to find out how many degrees it shows from level to the 35-37 number. You may find it is only a few degrees. Once you know that try some other values and see if the ratio stays the same.
Not sure if this makes sense or not but just a suggestion.
It Does Ron and confirms my thoughts that it is a representative number not an exact reading. As far as the propshaft heights go when I had my boat out of the water on the trailer it was very easy to measure the engine heights. I had what I call a digital protractor. Sounds like what you are talking about. A small black Box with a digital screen in it. I measured the most bottom edge of the sponson at the most rear point and then I took a measurement on the propshaft itself. This protractor has a Zero function which lets you make any surface angle "Zero" and then you just move the other surface angle until it reads Zero and they are both parallel. I did this to both engines and bottoms the same way and when I checked the vessel view it was at 23 for both motors. Hopefully not a coincidence. Just went down to whole numbers not decimals. Once all was level my last readings for heights were from the hull bottom in line with the nosecone on drive with a long flat edge and then up to the middle of that nosecone with a tape measure. I had them both at 2 inches as I dropped them a bit. Since then Ive come up about an 1/8th of an inch maybe a hair more. My slip was 7% last run. Great for me. I reconfirmed this height about 25 times. Ha. True. Anyway the 23 looks a bit off and I figured Maybe Mercury knows something I don't and when you look at it at 27 it looks perfect. I know its probably an optical illusion but Im sticking with the 27. Anyway my heights are about perfect where they ended up. Water pressure is great and my slip at 7 isn't getting any better for me without some more setback. I have those stupid manual pencil trim indicators hooked to the motors and they are garbage. I ve had them fixed several times and they never work right. Once Ive set my motors the vessel view trim numbers always remain true for me. Anyway thanx for the info. Its what I kind of suspected. Your knowledge makes me feel good about it. Thanx Ron, Steve.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

Ok so I was out yesterday and it was about 70 degrees with 80 plus humidity and wind from the side but not strong. Less than 7 mph. I ran with me and my girlfriend at 113mph and 7084rpm 10% slip. Not a top number for sure but I had 110 plus gallons of fuel and 2 people. I may not get a chance to go out again but the boat is still on the lift and Ill be back in town next week. Im figuring with 50 gallons and me alone Id be 500 to 600 pounds lighter and being my slip has been at 7 with a lighter load and same set up I could easily see 117mph which Ive said before. Maybe 118mph. I know its not done till its in writing but I have to hope for something. Is it totally realistic conditions for every day no but is anybodys when we talk best speeds. Ha. I just figured Id post my latest run as it shows promise. Being my motors are lower than last season and I have 2 strong powerheads its a much better stronger running situation than my previous one being it is at a set up which would run slower on paper you'd think because of the prop heights scrubbing speed alone. Anyway take it for what its worth. When we had the boat at merc if anybody paid attention to both tacks instead of just the speedo Im sure the motor problem would have been checked at that time and my original numbers would have been up where I THINK I can get now. Also would have been different if I had the original setbacks which we discussed and were changed at the last minute. It would not have been worth the disagreement and who knows the rig may run better overall with the motors closer to the transom. Sorry a lot of work and info for a few mph but its the principle of the thing. Steve.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Dialing the cat in is the best in my opinion. Keep us posted Steve. I hope you get some good weather.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Nastybug, I did a double take @ the PBC listing for the posting of the 318 (New 2018 similar paint)... I thought it was yours listed which came as a surprise as your project all came together after the power head was resolved.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!
Old 04-13-2019, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Default New props

Hey guys. New season comin in NJ. Boat is goin in water in a few weeks. Just ordered a new set of Merc 15.25 dia 34 pitch 15 rake. Lookin forward to seeing how these run as i was getting over the redline last season with the 33 pitch. Im at a disadvantage as my setback is only 3 inches but ive wanted to try a set of these props in 34s for a while. Ill post when i have any info. Not expecting much but ive got the speed bug. And so we go on.