Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery. >

Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Notices

Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:46 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skater 318 powerhead replacement, Old one bad since delivery.

Hey Guys, Sorry Haven't been around for a long while. Been out putting hours on my boat since I got it 2 seasons ago. Coming up on 300 hours since delivery. Have about 10 more hours to go. Have some news. Since I took delivery on my Rig day 1 Ive been complaining that my starboard motor runs 300rpm plus less than my port. I asked all over about it and to keep it short I just decided to live with. I was having fun and I never really was up at the top end anyway. Mostly 85 to 100mph. My best was 116mph at 7034 rpm. My starboard motor at approx 6850rpm and my port up at 7150 rev limiter. Ive been told the vessel view reports the average of the 2 motors for the rpms. I think the rev limiter for the motor is at 7150rpm. Ive also heard it may be 7050 but Ive seen my strong motor reving above that a few times. So this year when I put her in for the season she couldn't get over 95mph. Being we thought it was bad gas I ran around for a day or two. That did no good. It was not bad gas. I left the boat at the marina when I went to Florida for 10 days to see my parents. During their investigation they first found compression was shot in cyl #6 which also had water in it. My mechanic felt this is most likely what had been losing me the 300 plus rpms in that motor from the start. Although it was probably just bad compression in the beginning. The water came later. From that point on that motor kinda of collapsed over 300hrs of use over 2 yrs and over the winter while winterized. The only two cylinders that were working at 100% were #1 and #2. #s 3 4 and 5 also had begun to have problems. So Good Ole Mother Mercury Racing has sent a new powerhead to my marina. They have been great thru this whole thing. I also lost a couple lower units end of last season that we felt were connected possibly to the powerhead situation. Weird vibrations and such. Anyway My mechanic felt I could have been losing 30ish plus horsepower from the beginning due to the #6 cylinders terrible compression and eventual decline. I am curious and can't wait to see what I gain in speed. Could be 2 to 4 mph with my same props. The original 33 inch Merc cleavers. I imagine both motors would be on the limiters with two healthy motors. Well my new powerhead is due at marina end of this week. Once I get a chance to run her flat out Ill let you know about the improvements. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Steve.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:47 AM
VIP Member

Ok guys, So my new powerhead has arrived in Toms River at Coty Marine. My mechanics have to tie up a few things and are going to start on my project on Monday. I have to believe Im not going to get two powerheads with something wrong with them from the start. Im very curious to see how much my speed increases as the boat has never run at full power with two healthy motors. Yesterday my mechanic said the compression was not just off but to the point where I could have been losing between 35 and 50 Horses. No way to really tell but that cylinder was contributing pretty much nothing to the cause since the beginning. Who knows I may get nothing more out of her but at least Ill finally know what that true number is. I ended up at 116mph last season Took a country mile to get there. Im hoping I get at least a few mph out of this gain. even 119mph would be nice. I know my boat weighs a bit more than the ones that aren't getting cut in half and put back together again. But Im curious to see how much that setback/notch adds in speed as compared to my set up. Steve.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck, Steve, I know first hand how frustrating something like that can be!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Good Luck buddy, Hope to see some speed increase.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Thanx Guys, Im not giving in this time. I can't imagine I could get two bum power heads in a row but you never know. If this thing isn't running at least close to my current Port motor I'm gonna make it known. Im sure it will be ok. Odds are with me it'll all work out. Its going to be interesting to see what happens.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 PM
VIP Member

Well guys tomorrow is the day they start putting my starboard motor back together with the new power head on it. Guess thats an all day plus kind of job. Everything has to be swapped over. Probably a real pain in the ass I'm sure. They already double checked the supercharger I'm told for leaks and such. Big thanx to all the guys at Coty Marine for getting it all done for me.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Well Guys Same ole story. I was hoping that come monday I would see some work being done on my starboard motor but that was not the case. A day off was involved so I was told absolutely on Tuesday. Well of course Tuesday came and I went by and work was still being done on the previous boat but I get it things come up. So definitely after that all afternoon. Woof I went back this afternoon to check and although I was told oh yea its definitely being worked the motor looked exactly the same as it did when I was by at 1030am. So now Im praying that it starts tomorrow. Im being told it could be done by Thursday but Im not seeing it. So if it is Thursday and it was worked on today I guess it takes 2 and a half days to swap a powerhead out. Im not a mechanic so I shouldn't throw stones but I just done see close to 17 hrs to do the job. I guess they're very busy. Ive been out of commission since the Before the 1st of the month. Guess you always lose your place in line. I don't think Ill have it by Saturday.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

It always seems to be the case when dealing with boats Steve. No one can stick to a timeline. I'm glad to hear you have been enjoying your cat. It shouldn't take but a couple of hours to change out a powerhead. Two of us can swap a 2.5 out in under 30 minutes to get back on the water. I have no experience with the new 400s'. Hang in there.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. for someone that knows what their doing should not be a big deal. The boating industry is full of promises with more delays than Congress. False promises and failed expectations.
One day when people get fed up this industry will wake up and wonder what happened.
In the yachting world if we did not meet deadlines we would be out of business by now. That is why i work on my own boat!
Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Ha yea I was over in the morning to put my face in front of everybody, Squeaky wheel gets the oil kind of thing, and the boat that was supposed to be done and just needed to be water tested was still being worked on and still had to be water tested. Was told the whole afternoon would be mine. Ha. Went back late in day and other than the crate the new power head is in being moved the motor looked exactly the same to me as earlier. I don't know the business that well but I know enough. Also its a two and a half day job and I don't see it. But Im stuck and it'll be done when its done. The power head got in last Thursday and I've been out of the water at marina since the 1st of June. The guys at my marina are great to me and also at what they do I think they are drastically understaffed as they are probably selling 5 times as many boats now than 2 years ago with same service staff. just all the new delivery and prep work must be huge so I kind of understand. So I Wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.