26 Prowler performance

Notices

26 Prowler performance

Old 11-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 26 Prowler performance

I don't know about terribly wrong. I've only got about 5 hrs. on the motor so far. The 24 Bravo I was labbed by B-Blades and only gained 100 RPM over stock. I wanted to run that prop when I had the 502 MPI in the boat but I never sent it back to Brett because I was going to switch to the 525. I haven't been doing alot of WOT runs due to break in. The 26 I tried was of questionable condition and only pulled 5000 RPM. The 24 pulls 5400-5500 RPM ( tach accuracy ? ) but remember the lab job only increased the RPM by 100 over the stock prop. I think a good 26 pitch with a good lab job should be the best prop. By the way I do not have the ITS system and am also running an XZ drive with DWP. Hey, I'ld love to be running 75, and maybe I will next season with the right prop but I picked up 11 MPH so far over the 502 MPI and it's a completely different boat with the 525! Steve
Old 11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prowler
right now i'm running a non-labbed bravo-1 30 pitch.hp unknown 420 mega-blower.

Hey Prowler , How many rpms can you pull that 30 pitch ?
What speeds are you seeing WFO .
I have a friend who bought a 26 this summer with a 500 efi and it runs well but looking for more , how much speed can this hull handle ?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

last year i was running it 5800 rpm's @ 85 mph everyday anytime.over the winter i put another set of heads on,but i never got to to get a flat out run with it.rain, crap floating,nobody was out with any fast boats that wan't to play,the cruise speed went up alot i could run around all day at 60-65 mph.the hull up to 80 mph is fine over 80 when you start trimming it out it feels real light the slightest wake and the bow is in the air,and that's not really with alot of trim,you have to keep a finger on the trim button.over the winter i get the 30 pitch labbed and see what happens.would i do it again,hell yeh .hope this helps,dave
Old 11-24-2006, 03:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I run a stock 500efi w/its, kplanes,internal steering etc.. I experience the same exact thing with speeds over 50mph. Unless the water is dead calm I always have to have my kplanes partially down to prevent the boat from getting airborn. If you lift them completely up and hit the slightest wake the boat launches straight up uncontrollably. When this first started happening my mechanic suspected that the "x" dimension was incorrect. Although we could not be certain it wasn't I think this behavior is inherent with Prowlers (heavy ass end?). Going to try some different props this year.
I've come to live with this unless someone has any othe suggestions.
Had a 272 Baja prior to my Prowler (procharged, balance and blue-printed 502, simple trim tabs, no external steering or extension box) the boat ran 82 mph, never used my tabs, boat never launched and got "squirrely" when you hit any kind of wake. Go figure. The Baja, however, couldn't hold a candle to the Sonic's looks though.

Last edited by steve chalupka; 11-24-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

Steve for a suggestion , (I had the same problem and I experimented) I marked on my indecators neutral position for Tabs (running k's) and drive. I run at cruising tabs at neutral and drive tucked in almost all the way runs nice and level and smooth ( w/running four blade@ 40-50mph ) and the faster you go ajust up accordingly.Hope this is some help to you...
Old 12-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i try'd a 1" drive spacer and the only thing it did was make it harder to get on plane,so if anything a shorter drive i think would be the thing to try.you would think that sonic would try something and let the owners know so they would be happy and get people that want to trade there boats in for a bigger sonic rather than a different boat all together.dave
Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Registered

The only thing "incorrect" about the X-dimensions, is that they weren't set for these hulls to run in excess of 80mph in broken water. You can shorten the lower(raise the X) so you can keep a neutral trim angle on the drive, and have reduced hydro-dynamic drag. Essentially, the way you're set up now, you're over-trimming to get the drive out of the way and generate speed; but you're pushing the bow to the sky. If you optimize the boat to run FAST, then you'll compromise other areas of performance, like the ability to stay on plane at lower speeds, and possibly your time-to-plane.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

Manufacturers typically try to rig their hulls to provide the best all-around performance, under a variety of conditions. Unless, of course, you specify that you want a top-speed set-up with lots of hp...and then they can build that boat too.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

Hay Prowler what motor do you have?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Registered

Hugh so what your saying is for top speed on a 26 set aside motor is a shorty drive setup.

Quick Reply: 26 Prowler performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.