260 Performance

Notices

260 Performance

Old 04-07-2002, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 260 Performance

Boy, am I’m glad I found this forum!

Last summer, I purchased a 260 with a 496HO (traded in a 2000 Baja 25 Outlaw) which was definitely a good move.

My problem is performance. I can’t seem to get much past 60 on GPS. This is with a typical load, 2 people, ½ - ¾ fuel, normal gear. I’m running a 23 B1, which I’m think should be changed to either a 24 B1, or maybe a 23 Mirage.

I looked through this forum and noticed most of you guys are running quite a bit faster.

Any ideas are appreciated, especially your experience with props.

I love everything else about the boat. Only problem I’ve had so far was with a hanging tab. I wanted K-planes, but the boat came with dual ram tabs. Worth switching over?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SONIC DUDE , I HAVE A 1998 26 SONIC WITH 502 EFI MAGNUM. I RUN A 23P MERC. MIRAGE PLUS LAB FINISHED
SO I RUN 5000RPMS WITH A K+N AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY AND RUN 69-70 MPH GPS. I KNOW USING A MERC 24P BRAVO 1 4BLADE YOU WILL RUN SLOWER DUE TO A 200-300 RPM DROP BUT YOU CAN HAVE THAT LAB FINISHED TO GET THE RPM BACK. GENERALLY HE 3 BLADE GETS YOU BETTER TOP END AND THE 4 BLADE A BETTER LOW END PERF. WHAT RPMS ARE YOU RUNNING AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE ? DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRIM THE BOAT WAY UP.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Registered

Hi 26sonic,

I started off with a 24P B1, but the RPMs were really low. With the 23P B1, I'll kiss 5000 with a light load, normal load around 4800. I usually bring the drive all the way out and then slowly bring it in until the speed is maxed.

One thing I have noticed is that the drive has a lot more conservative X dim than I'm used to. So, I'm not getting as much trim angle.

I was thinking about trying the K&N as well. I see the just started listing one for the 496.

When you're running in the high 60s, what kind of load do you usually have?

thanks
Old 04-07-2002, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SONIC DUDE YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING 5000RPMS AT WOT.THATS WHY MY PROP WAS LAB FINISHED TO DO THIS. I HAD 5 PEOPLE WITH 1/2 TANK OF GAS AND DID 64-65 GPS . 2 PEOPLE 1/2 TANK AND 69-70 GPS AND EVEN SAW 2 PEOPLE 1/2 AND LIGHT CHOP 72 MPH GPS !
ARE YOU POSITIVE YOU HAVE A496 HO 0R JUST A 496 THAT WOULD DEFINITELY BE WHERE THE 496 WOULD RUN. ALSO NOTICED YOU SAID ABOUT MOVING THE DRIVE IN FOR MAX SPEED DON'T YOU MEAN MOVING IT OUT OR RAISING IT UP FOR MAX SPEED ALONG WITH PUTING THE TRIM TABS ALL THE WAY UP.NOT TRYING TO BE A SMART
A@$ JUST TRING TO HELP YOU OUT.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Registered

26sonic

496HO for sure. What I meant by bring the trim in a bit is that full out is not always optimal (at least it wasn't for my Baja). Sometimes just a little nudge in from full out seems to yield more speed.

Anyway, not sure what the problem is. One thing I haven't checked yet are the tabs. I did have a couple of problems with them when I first got the boat (had a couple of pistons replaced) so its possible that they're dragging. I also notice a list (maybe 10 degrees to port) with a passenger. Ever notice that? Could be more evidence of something dragging.

I'll be getting the boat out of storage in a couple of weeks and will start thashing. Maybe I'll call Sonic too.

By the way, what kind of goodies you picking up?
Old 04-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sonic dude i have the dual cyl. trim master tabs, had one problem with them when the sheer pin broke
on the port side and the trim tab cable and the tab was just flapping freely. replaced both tab sheer pins from plastic to aluminum , never had a problem again . i do notice a slight list to the port side with a passenger and just tweak the tab on that side to even things out , but when running at speed have the tabs all the way up. as far as goodies : some new style raised letter(bubble style) decals for the wind screen ,old ones are peeling also one for the cooler cover on pass. side and a couple pieces of interior molding in cabin thats on the 2002 26 prowler that i saw in the ac n.j. show this winter.and i'm going to have my throttle bezel purple powder coated to match my dash gauges . and who nows what else i might find in the factory stock room !!!!!
Old 04-07-2002, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so sonic dude are"nt you glad that you got rid of the 25 out law? my friends all have them and can't believe the size or ride or cabin of the prowler vs the out law.i was one of the first in my area to have a sonic and prowler now there is 2 new 35's and a few more 26 prowlers around people are starting to take notice of sonic here in the hudson river!!!
Old 04-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Registered

There really isn't any comparison. I could pound the side of the Outlaw's hull and it would flex pretty good. If I did the same thing with the Sonic, I'd probably break my hand! Rough water Sonic hands down. My wife has commented many times how much safer she feels in the 260. Cabin is unbelievable for a boat this size. Plus the overall styling and graphics.

The only + for the Outlaw was that we could get 70+ out of a 454MPI. Now if, no when I get the 260 up there, I'll have no complaints.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Mine is a '99 with HP500EFI. I am having my 24P B1 labbed by York in CA as we speak, although I will be re-propping this year. I am not sure of GPS speeds. I need to buy one of them too. I just had some powder coating done like 26Sonic did; both grab rails, and the battery hold downs. I will probably have the throttle/gear set, ladder, and steering column done next. I love that purple powder coat!! I have also ordered 6 purple cup holders, and a new-style latch for the cabin door. A whole new stereo system is in the works as well, to include the Clarion 12 disc changer. I am moving the hour meter to inside the access pod, and adding a Clarion remote to the dash. Carpeting is gpong to be replaced with high-pyle stuff when I find it. Graphics are going to be added where all the Sonic names were, when I decide on a name. I also anticipate getting the AS&M kit to change the 500 into virtually the new HP525EFI; less the cam.

Mine lists sometimes too. It is prop grab, and I use a tab to level it out. I also called Bennett Trim Tabs, and had them send me a length of tube for the port tab, to make it the same length of the SB tab, so they move at almost the same rate. Also, watch your bow light, do not let it crack and leak into the compartment behind the mirror. BIG MESS. Mine was like that when I bought it. I am also investing in a Cover-It canvas garage too.

I also built a little partial enclosure under the rear bench to securely hold an anchor, and I mounted a tupperware container over the circuit breakers by screwing the lid in behind the breaker plate, and covering the switches, to keep my bumpers from turning them off while running.

I LOVE my Prowler. I get lots of compliments, and I know it is not the fastest; especially on lakes and flat water. I am sure I am the most secure, and proabably one of the most balls out boats when it gets rough, in our size range.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:31 AM
Registered

Brian,

Sounds good! Since we won't be getting ours out for a month or so, I've convinced my wife that we need to make a trip down to the factory.

I have the same problem with the tabs not traveling at the same rate. If I don't switch them over, I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 260 Performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.