New Sonic in rough water. >

New Sonic in rough water.

Notices

New Sonic in rough water.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Sonic in rough water.

Ok guys, I got to ask this question. I have recently been on two test runs in my new 260 Prowler. First run with a friend on a calm day, boat felt great, very tight and responsive. Second run with my wife and brother on a less than calm day, about 18” to 24” chop, and I have to say compared to my 24 Outlaw this thing beat us to death. The boat is defiantly solid and well built leaving your organs to be the weak link. I haven’t heard anyone else mention this subject before…………………………..…is it taboo to ask or speak of???
I would just like to know what other Sonic owners have to say about this. Needless to say, my wife was not happy with her first ride. Any thoughts or input?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Registered

I had a 1998 260 and all I can say is the boat needs the trim tabs and you have to get used to working them expecially in rougher water if you trim down the motor a little and apply the tabs about 1/5 way down it should make the ride much better at higher speed,the boat will also ride rough if you are not applying enough throttle and trying to run too slow in rougher water, get it on top of the water and it smoothes out.
Attached Thumbnails New Sonic in rough water.-cass3.jpg  
Old 03-31-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

JLSNYDER24BAJA,

I agree with Shewbart, I did the exact same thing, test drove my 26' on a 12"/18" chop, later saw a world of difference in a 24" chop. Also a little disappointed, but drop the tabs (and speed) and it's still a good boat. However, respectively, its still a 24' boat (swim platform) and just a little limited. Also, the Sonic is a wider boat, hence, more stable, but a little rougher.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:06 PM
Registered

All about getting on top of the waves. Once you have some time behind the wheel and get the feel of the boat you will never doubt it again.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Scott Morehead

Dip the nose down a little, give it the gas to get on the waves, and I bet your ride will be very smooth

Old 03-31-2004, 10:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Wow. I have not heard that reaction. It will take a little time with the boat. Make sure you mark your trim indicators at neutral, for drive and tabs.
(Do this by running a straight edge off the bottom of your boat, and adjusting each tab and drive so the plane of the tab is the same plane as the bottom of the boat, and so the cavitation plate on the drive is all at the same plane as the bottom of the hull's running surface. When you have each at this neutral location, take a Sharpie permanent marker, and place a mark on the window of your trim indicators so you know where to place them.)

When it gets a bit snotty, run your drive at neutral. (Maybe even nose the drive in a tiny bit). Run your tabs at about 1 - 1.5 ticks below neutral, (just enough to bring the end of the tab at or below the plane of the hull. (You do have the 16" long tabs right? Or K-planes?) Also, adjust the throttle to where it is nearly touching, or on the dash. ( )

Given your 26 is lighter than my 26. How much fuel did you have on board? If you had the wife on board, (please no offense MrsJL, but sometimes wives are known as the "Rev Limiter" ), it will be a bit bumpy as the boat is made to go fast OVER the rough stuff, not slower as to fall off of every wave. The one time I put mine on the trailer was when I was in consistant 3-4s in the Chessy Bay. The 3-4s were not a problem, and with my sister on board we were still fine. When we came around to the bigger part of the Bay, and we hit the occasional 5-6s it was too much to be a pleasant day boating. Yet, however, it was not a scary ride, just a little too rough.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-31-2004 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Remember, THIS is boating in a 26 Sonic:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...cat/500/page/1
Old 04-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Registered

18" to 24" chop? Me and my 42 Sonic call that FLAT!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Registered

Originally posted by RJ1340
18" to 24" chop? Me and my 42 Sonic call that FLAT!
Thanks...a lot of love here Huh?

Last edited by jlsnyder24baja; 04-01-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The boat is bow heavy...price for that tall cabin. (An extension box works very well on that hull). As others have said, trim on drives and plane settings are important. Find neutral and work from there. Better yet put on a box. The boat is made to run on top of the water/wake etc. It's new dial it in. Find someone who owns or is familiar with the boat and they can help you centerline the settings, then ADD A EXTENSION BOX

Hmmm, sounds like I like those boxes on that hull doesn't it?

Quick Reply: New Sonic in rough water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.