Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   South Central US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/south-central-us-225/)
-   -   How is the Boating in Dallas? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/south-central-us/248146-how-boating-dallas.html)

FREAKY FAST 06-01-2011 07:41 AM

I hardly think you can make a final decision about a lake based on mother nature. I was out on lake Lewisville all weekend and it was the exact same here. In fact, after this being my home lake for the past 20 yrs, I have never seen this lake as rough as it was this past weekend. my 32' had a tough time! Texoma is very nice. You should try it again in July/Aug when there isn't as much as a small breeze and it's 104 outside.

Thunderstruck27 06-01-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by txtraveller2002 (Post 3417108)
Hate to bag on Texoma, but just got back from there this weekend. I just moved up here from Austin, so please excuse my spoiled ass....but to me, Texoma SERIOUSLY sucked on Saturday, and I'm not talking about the tie up. That was awesome! But getting home after the wind kicked up? That was pretty sketchy. Holy crap, I was with a 25 Outlaw, and in my Baja 252, and between the island and our rented marina (Lakeshore or Lakeway I believe?) at idle, it took us almost 2 hours to get back because of the 5-6 foot rollers. What's F'd up about it, is that it wasn't from traffic, it was all wind generated. So that means that you can go out on a nice Saturday morning, have a few drinks, and end up "deadliest-Catch-ing" it home at night. Except you won't have any crabs when you get there, unless you hook up with the wrong gal on the island.
And I must preface this next paragraph and say that the Okie state troopers that we met were extremely friendly, and very hands of considering the holiday weekend. Being a Texas bot, that really pains me, but wait for the rest of the story. We get back to the marina, after 2 hours of idling back in 6 foot seas. Everyone in the boat was by now, exhausted, pissed off, coming off an adrenaline rush, and exceptionally sober. Well guess what? Our marina was on the TX side of things, and yes, I was tired as hell, and the wind was blowing AT least 25 MPH. YES, I had trouble stuffing my boat in the slip, and there were 2 Tx Game wardens that sat not 2 feet in front of my boat and didn't lift a finger to help, then proceeded to drag me off to take a field sobriety test ( I passed, or I wouldn't be out of the clink yet). The next morning, I got up, and took a look, and holy crap, that's where they have a dock too. I realize that I was sober, and passed, ect. But it just gave me a real bad taste about that lake. Sorry Texoma guys, please correct me if I'm sorta wrong. I really don't want to get into a pissing contest about it, but it seems to me that if the wind kicks up to much more than a breeze, it gets too rough to get out on much less than a 30 footer.

txtraveller2002...if last weekend was the 1st and only time I'd been on Texoma I would be thinking the same as you. However, you happened to try it on one of the windy-est days (week-ends, weeks, Springs) I've wittnessed in over 15 years of boating on Texoma. Don't write-off Lake Texoma yet or you'll miss out on some really good times. :drink::drink::drink:

TexomaPowerboater 06-01-2011 09:34 AM

Cops are bad on every lake during Memorial day weekend. They aren't as bad on the OK side.

Yes, it can get very rough on Texoma. That is why I have a 28 Apache :coolcowboy:

UrbanDisturbance 06-01-2011 01:50 PM

Sam Rayburn Reservour, South East of Dallas, was very rough. Cops were busting people at the boat launch. Nevertheless, the boat lauch is in a protective cove and away from the waves. I wonder if Louisiana has any good lakes, as they are known to be a little less anal and give people a little more freedom than the rest of the states. Tickfaw 200 next year!

vector4 06-01-2011 02:49 PM

If you find a good lake in Louisiana let me know, lol. I am tired of our mucky dirty boring lakes.

In fact, I am reading this thread so I can find where the good lakes are in Dallas as I am only 3 hours away.

bert4332 06-02-2011 11:19 PM

[QUOTE=bert4332;3346769]

......The water in Texoma can change from 1' chop to 4' in 30 minutes though.....
/QUOTE]

Did you think I was BSing you? lol Lewisville was about 2-3' with an occasional 4' last weekend, I had a BLAST, except getting the boat on the trailer, 25-30mph winds were kicking my a$$, if I didn't have 2 of my buddies with me I don't know what I would have done. I'm making two trailer guide-ons this week, I won't have that happen again.

Lewisville being that rough is rare, Texoma, you never know, you gotta pay attention to the radar on weather.com on your phone all day long. Sometimes you can head off bad weather before it hits. Seriously DON'T give up on that lake, it's the best of everything, you just got caught, we all do once in a while.

TexomaPowerboater 06-03-2011 09:46 AM

Bert4332 - how did your laveycraft do in rough water? Did it feel as solid as my apache you rode in? Just curious cause I like the model.

bert4332 06-03-2011 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 3419406)
Bert4332 - how did your laveycraft do in rough water? Did it feel as solid as my apache you rode in? Just curious cause I like the model.

It handled AWESOME, just different than your boat. The Lavey cuts right though and it has a really different feel than most any other boat I've been on. Albeit we didn't really have any decent size water when I was on yours, but yours felt more of a power thing, and the Lavey feels more like a finesse type. Friday night I was in the center of Lewisville, myself and the big Tri-Maran you rent for parties at 121 were the only two boats out, I was doing about 50mph and never once landed hard going into another wave. What was weird was we didn't launch very much, my buds kept on saying they couldn't believe how fast we were going and not getting beat up.

Texigirl 07-13-2011 08:39 AM

PK too

Possum Kingdom lake too!:kiss: