Notices

Texoma-Travis

Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
The "clean clear water" is a catch 22. Texoma's water is not as clear because it has natural sand beaches. That should not be a deterant. Most of our partying is done on the beach at the islands, not at the bar; for obvious reasons.

After being on Travis with the clean clear water it take a while getting use to other lakes that are not as clear. One day my wife took a water bottle and put lake water in it. She then got pissed when she dropped it and it fell next to too other bottles of water. She could not tell the difference between any of the bottles by looking at the water. She had to go and try and figure out which ones the cap were still sealed on. Now when ever we go to another lake see will fill a water bottle with lake water, hold it up and say "Im not going to have a problem finding this bottle."

Bars are not the only place you can party at Travis has a number of places where you could pull a boat up to shore such as Pace Bend if you would like. Devil's Cove is the main party cove. Water is deep and you can anchor off by yourself or raft up with any number of boats in the cover. Get tired of the crowd and noise, many other places to go if you want quiet and peacefull, even on a holiday weekend.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

+1 for Travis, I launch my 38 Lightning at the Damn with no issues. Been on Texoma wasn't impressed.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
I would love to go to Lake Travis as long as it's not in my boat. I checked out the boat launch by the dam and . It looks like a 40 degree slope and there is not much room for a 38 foot Cigarette Top Gun on a trailer to navigate at the boat launch, plus parking issues. If I ever make the effort to go to Lake Travis, I guess I better be at the boat launch at 4:00am.
Lots of big boats use the ramp. Ramp is 3 lanes wide. Ramp is steep, but you do not have to launch your truck to get the boat floating.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Registered

The "clean clear water" is a catch 22. Texoma's water is not as clear because it has natural sand beaches. That should not be a deterant. Most of our partying is done on the beach at the islands, not at the bar; for obvious reasons.
Texoma and Travis are not the only good lakes in Texas.
Sam Rayburn Reservour is a hidden jewel and most people don't want everyone to know about.
I still want to try Lake Travis, but everyone that I have talked to that has been to Sam Rayburn Reservour and Travis told me that Travis SU*KS in comparison. They told me not to waste my time. The water at Travis is clearer, but that is about it. No sandy beaches, it's too crowded, etc.
It seems like Texoma is a lot like Sam Rayburn Reservour, which is the largest freshwater lake that is completely inside the state of Texas. It is around 150,000 Acres. Even though Rayburn is huge, you will only use about 1/5 of the lake in the south part due to stumps. At Sam Rayburn, there is Snake Island which is North East East of the Dam. It is the most well known party spot with sandy beaches and the water police knows that. If you get STUPID DRUNK, you have a good chance of going to jail. On major holidays, they have been known to wait at the boat launch and haul people off to jail in buses. On holidays, there is a no refusal breathlizer test if they request one. You may think the police are being a pain, but I have seen drunks driving boats and I don't appriciate the danger that they cause around me. Having 5-6 beers in 5-6 hours should be OK. It is when a CAPTAIN goes through a case of beer in 4 hours. Every holiday, I have a Dumb Sh*t run over my anchor rope which is an INCH thick or someone almost hits my boat trying to park. Sorry, I am getting off track! There are 4 other party spots on the south part of the lake with sandy beaches. At one of the areas, there are boat races on some weekends, mostly river racers with outboards like STV, Allison's, etc. The only thing that is missing at Rayburn is that there is no bars on the water or a place to buy beer. If you want beer, you have to get it at the store before you launch your boat. Powell park has the only Restruant on the water that I am aware of at Rayburn. You park your boat and walk about 100 yards. They make great hamburgers. If you go to Rayburn, Launch by the Dam and stay on the south part of the lake. The boat launch by the Dam has 4 lanes and it is the only boat launch big enough for my 38 foot Cigarette Top Gun. Get a map so you know where not to go and stay away from the north part of the lake. That is where the black forest is located and you will hit a stump if you don't know where you are going. Right now, the lake level is extremely low for this time of year and it looks like it is going to remain that way for 2011, so you might want to try Texoma over Rayburn. I want to go to Texoma myself, but don't know where I should stay. I want to stay at a place that has a BBQ pit and has enough room for me to park my boat, trailer and truck which is 64 feet long. I don't know if such a place even exists at Lake Texoma.

Last edited by UrbanDisturbance; 03-03-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MYSTICSUN
I have a week in May. Which would you choose,Travis or Texoma. Borrowing friends 25 foot Searay. Looking for clean clear water,boat up bars,and good party cove. Saw a few pictures,but nuttin like local knowledge.
http://www.ltpa.net/poker-runs-other...oker-run-dates

If you can make it the 21st we will be having a poker run,
even if you dont want to run you can meet up with us at the end of the day at Carlos and Charlies , you will have a great time guaranteed.
Here are some pics from last years May run

http://www.dotphoto.com/GuestViewAlbum.asp?AID=6161684
Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And some not so obvious reasons.
Attached Thumbnails Texoma-Travis-texoma-fun.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by anewway
Looks like I better leave the kids at home!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Awesome!!!! was that you????

Hows the Cafe' coming along?

BT ran great last weekend at Texoma.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Awesome!!!! was that you????

Hows the Cafe' coming along?

BT ran great last weekend at Texoma.
LOL! No, not me, I promise!

Drove up to Leon's today and hit the dyno. 600 hp and 675 ft/lbs on one motor, and a damn intake leak on the other one. So, back to the garage to nail that down tomorrow and back up there next week to run it again.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Now the fish are going to smell like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.