Notices

Mississippi

Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mississippi

I am relocating to Meridian, MS in July. Any boaters on here from the area? I hear that Ross Barnett reservoir is pretty big.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Ross Barnett is my home lake. You can make about a 28 mile run from the dam up the river to the low head dam. You're going to be about 90 miles from meridian to Barnett. You have the Tennessee - tombigbee waterway closer to meridian, which is long!! Artery for barges from the coast to tennessee. But come on over to Barnett.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered

So I take it that Ross Barnett is plenty big for large boats? How is the water depth? Any boatels or storage in that area? I am cool with the drive to Jackson, but prefer to not tow every weekend. I've lived in Meridian before, but didnt have the boat last time.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Barnett has a main marina with covered docks. You would have to provide your own lift. Sportsman's marina (Blue water services) has some dry storage racks. Depth can be challenging if the water is low, especially around ramps. Lots of stump fields in the main lake that can be hidden when the water is high. You wont have a problem once you see where most boats travel. There are also channel markers to guide you. Pelicans is nice outdoor bar with food/gas with docking. Up river you have the sand bars that are good. Flag island(sand bar) is the largest hang out up river. If you don't want to tow, I think your best bet would be to find indoor or covered storage for your boat on trailer and just dunk it when you get here. With a 27' and up, you'd probably be in the top 5% for size. You might see 24"-36" chop if storming, more likely 24" chop on a real windy day.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meridian is only about 2 1/2 hrs from Lake Ponchartrain and the Tickfaw River. Much more to do there. I'd rather trailer my 4 hrs to the Tickfaw than the 2 hrs to Ross Barnett. The Tickfaw opens out into Lake Maurepas which connects to Ponchartrain and (if you you have a big fuel allowance) the Gulf. For a good look at what there is to do in that area, look at the website for the Tickfaw 200 poker run that is coming May. It will show you how the area is layed out.