Moving To The Houston Area >

Moving To The Houston Area

Notices

Moving To The Houston Area

Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moving South I see, you'll love the winter warm weather, good luck with the move.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Thanks Rwbrew3, we have some crazy humidity in the STL area but we are being told there is nothing like Houston Heat.
I'm in the Dallas area but have a hunting lease just outside of Houston.... Beautiful country ! Best of luck on your move !
Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Registered

I would look in the Clear Lake area first since work is going to be on the south side of Houston. Although I live an hour north of Houston, our trips down to Clear Lake are on the agenda as much as we can get away. And we usually get a hotel room so we can enjoy the whole weekend. I haven't taken my boat down there yet, but have been out with others. Lots to do down there. Here's just one site for a little info: Clear Lake Area
Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 314joey
Moving South I see, you'll love the winter warm weather, good luck with the move.
Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
I'm in the Dallas area but have a hunting lease just outside of Houston.... Beautiful country ! Best of luck on your move !
Thank you, we are looking forward to the change.

Originally Posted by firehill19
I would look in the Clear Lake area first since work is going to be on the south side of Houston. Although I live an hour north of Houston, our trips down to Clear Lake are on the agenda as much as we can get away. And we usually get a hotel room so we can enjoy the whole weekend. I haven't taken my boat down there yet, but have been out with others. Lots to do down there. Here's just one site for a little info: Clear Lake Area
Thanks for the link, we are liking the idea of living near the water. It is at the very least a two hour drive for us to get to the lakes we enjoy. The muddy Mississippi is about :45 to the ramp but we don't like boating on the river. It will be a welcome change to be minutes rather than hours, since a normal day of boating entails 4-5 hours driving.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

TW,

Anywhere you live here it is going to be a 30min drive. Just get used to it. LOL

I grew up on the Westside of town when our Duck lease was at Hwy6 and I-10. Katy was a Rail Road town and the FFA was still cool to be in. LOL That was only 30yrs ago.

If your wife is going to be woking off Tellepsen, Clear Lake Area is your best bet if you like to be close to the H20. I am looking at moving down there myself.

I see that driving is not your forte': Me and the Ex had a place in The Woodlands North of Town. It was a great house but I was 20 mins on The Woodlands Parkway just to get to 45, I was close to 25 min to 249 and Tomball to take south to the Beltway. The drive just killed me as my office was in the Galleria area... I put min of 80 miles a day on my car. As I said Houston is Huge... We are the 2nd largest city area wise in the USA.

Saying such, as Firehill said Clear Lake and Kemha is great and on the water. Pearland is booming.

I'll drop you a PM and and my contract info.

John
Old 09-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I am in the clear lake area as well if you have any more questions or need any help feel free to drop me a message.

Travis
Old 09-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Registered

I have also just recently moved to the Houston area from STL. I had a Formula 310BR on Lake of the Ozarks and just had it moved to Clear Lake. Yesterday was the first ride out in the saltwater. It was a great experience as i ran out to the shipping channel and down to Galveston. The boating is a little different here as i am used to bar hopping and dropping anchor and swimming off the back. I am also looking for any tips and some locals for some pointers such as restaurants on the water and where to anchor. Thanks for any help possible.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Johnaut46
TW,

Anywhere you live here it is going to be a 30min drive. Just get used to it. LOL

I grew up on the Westside of town when our Duck lease was at Hwy6 and I-10. Katy was a Rail Road town and the FFA was still cool to be in. LOL That was only 30yrs ago.

If your wife is going to be woking off Tellepsen, Clear Lake Area is your best bet if you like to be close to the H20. I am looking at moving down there myself.

I see that driving is not your forte': Me and the Ex had a place in The Woodlands North of Town. It was a great house but I was 20 mins on The Woodlands Parkway just to get to 45, I was close to 25 min to 249 and Tomball to take south to the Beltway. The drive just killed me as my office was in the Galleria area... I put min of 80 miles a day on my car. As I said Houston is Huge... We are the 2nd largest city area wise in the USA.

Saying such, as Firehill said Clear Lake and Kemha is great and on the water. Pearland is booming.

I'll drop you a PM and and my contract info.

John
The Woodlands commute sounds like what my wife has right now and it wearing on her. I personally don't have a problem with driving and I actually enjoy it, but when it takes time away from us being home then it gets old fast if you know what I mean. My work schedule is all over the place so I will be coming and going at different times. Currently the area we live has been stagnant, no good restaurants, no good gyms, no good super markets and not even a Walgreens or CVS. We are hoping to find a community that has conveniences.

Originally Posted by T-RAV
I am in the clear lake area as well if you have any more questions or need any help feel free to drop me a message.

Travis
Travis, thank you for the offer and I will take you up on that. It'll be a week or two before I can probably reach out.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information and offerings of help! It looks like we are making the right decision!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by brian447
I have also just recently moved to the Houston area from STL. I had a Formula 310BR on Lake of the Ozarks and just had it moved to Clear Lake. Yesterday was the first ride out in the saltwater. It was a great experience as i ran out to the shipping channel and down to Galveston. The boating is a little different here as i am used to bar hopping and dropping anchor and swimming off the back. I am also looking for any tips and some locals for some pointers such as restaurants on the water and where to anchor. Thanks for any help possible.
If you don't already have one I would get a chart plotter. As far as places to go if you want to stay in clear lake Nassau bay is the swimming hole, it is past south shore and the Hilton going up towards clear creek and take the channel to the right. Make sure you stay in the channel markers once you pass the Hilton it is shallow outside of it. Places to eat on the lake would be outriggers, kemah channel, SAMs boat is decent next to endeavor marina, boondoggles has great pizza and sandwiches, off the channel going to Taylor lake. Night life would be cabo and turtle club.

On the bay you can hang out at redfish island I'm sure you passed it when you were heading to Galveston. To eat there is bubbas shrimp palace, pretty good all you can eat shrimp, it is right across from redfish in baycliff has a pink roof. If you keep going past bubbas there is top water, really good food, just have to watch out for Todd's dump, there is white poles all over it.

Galveston you can hit the intercostal and head east to stingerees off crystal beach, great BBQ crab and gumbo, you can hit Galveston ship channel and go to fisherman's wharf which has a couple of restaurants right there or you can walk to the strand and bar hop. If you head west on the intercostal you can hit the sandbar at offats, nice sand bottom knee to waist deep water, a little tricky to get in and out of. There is also Floyd's restaurant at harbor walk.

There is also the San jac river and I wouldn't go up there without following someone who knows where they are going. I forgot kemah boardwalk does fireworks every friday night in june/july and moody gardens off offats does them fri/sat and has a band on sat you can listen to from the boat. Im sure others will chime in on what i left out. Also watch out for crab traps and if you see any white poles it would be a good idea to stay away from them!!

Last edited by T-RAV; 09-15-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
The Woodlands commute sounds like what my wife has right now and it wearing on her. I personally don't have a problem with driving and I actually enjoy it, but when it takes time away from us being home then it gets old fast if you know what I mean. My work schedule is all over the place so I will be coming and going at different times. Currently the area we live has been stagnant, no good restaurants, no good gyms, no good super markets and not even a Walgreens or CVS. We are hoping to find a community that has conveniences.

Travis, thank you for the offer and I will take you up on that. It'll be a week or two before I can probably reach out.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information and offerings of help! It looks like we are making the right decision!
If you haven't already you can look on har.com and kind of get idea of housing cost. Select clear lake area or Galveston county.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.