Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > South Central US
Engine mechanic needed for pre-purchase inspection. >

Engine mechanic needed for pre-purchase inspection.

Notices

Engine mechanic needed for pre-purchase inspection.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mechanic needed for pre-purchase inspection.

I am very seriously considering the purchase of a 2000 Power Quest 38 Avenger. Boat has 500 efi's w/ approx 180 hours since last refresh. Teague drive lowers too.

If there is anyone that could refer me to a mechanic for a pre inspection of everything, I would really appreciate it.

Boat is near Lexington, KY

Thanks!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can do that for you. $250.00 with report.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Registered

Trippin,

Please check your messages. Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Registered

The boat inspection and some small repair work were completed by Trippin ( D.J.). I am very satisfied with the work that D.J. completed, and the price was fantastic.

If anyone is near the Lexington KY area and needs any mechanical work, or inspection work done..... Trippin is your guy!!!

Highly Recommended.

Thanks for the help.

BTW: I purchased the boat
Old 04-14-2015, 11:17 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would have to say that is really cheap in price to do a pre purchase inspection. Just asking what does your inspection consist of ?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This inspection consists of what I can accomplish in the span of time I'm allotted, I usually prepare a full report, much like a real estate report with other examples of vessels for comparison sake, engine printouts, pictures and suggestions. I had planned on doing a very thorough evaluation however the seller would not allow me to keep the vessel in my possession overnight, this should have sent up a red flag, hindsight is 20/20. My intention, if I was able to keep this vessel in my possession overnight was to not only rigorously inspect the entire vessels electrical system, engine compartment, hull and trailer but also removal of the drives and a thorough evaluation of same. I ran the engines, verified the hours did a basic set of tests and moved on, no time for compression or leak down tests. I did not remove the drives as the seller had dropped the boat off @ 0900 and returned for it shortly after noon. I could not complete my inspection to the extent I wished. As to the final word, it's up to the new owner to explain it, it's not good, and not only makes me feel like an a** but makes me feel used and unprofessional.

Last edited by Trippin; 04-25-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Registered

Hindsight here is the key. I took word from the seller that there were no problems associated with the out drives, bearings, etc - that they had regular maintenance and no issues except in need of a fluid change. WOW what a slap in the face from the seller. ( I can think of many other words here than slap, but not looking to get this post removed) Port drive gimbal housing is completely destroyed. Looks like a u-joint failure at some point, and it took apart the inside of the housing assembly. Water found around the u-joints and shaft. The housing bellow flange was sheered off and broken. The seller did a back yard mechanic repair that made it pass a sea trial, as no water entered the boat. So now I am left with a HUGE repair to pull the engine and replace the gimbal housing assembly. What a nightmare!!!

Of course I called the seller for some assistance with funds.... and of course the answer was #$%$ off, I ain't payin nuthin.

If DJ would have had more time, and the drives were pulled, it would have been an easy find. My fault here, as I was from out of town - 8 hours away in Michigan - and the seller would not leave the boat overnight. Hence Hindsight!!!

Now I am looking for 2 gimbal housing assemblies,(Bravo 1 HP), because there is no way I'm going through this bull**** again with the starboard side. Not to mention the cost involved.

What a nightmare!!!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Member here ? Let's out'm !
Old 04-26-2015, 06:58 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Found an ad for the boat still up. States his town, city, and phone # in case anyone knows him and/or wants to give him grief.

http://www.boats4sale.pro/detail/us/...380-avenger-38

Used 2000 Powerquest 380 Avenger for sale - Salvisa Kentucky

Salvisa, Kentucky, 40372 KY, USA
CountryUnited States Posted4 weeks ago StateKentucky CitySalvisa MakePowerquest Model380 Avenger Year2000 ConditionUsed Color- Mileage- Body Type- VIN- Phone8596213034

Seller's Note

Powerquest 380 avenger 38

2000 powerquest 38 ft500 EFI 400 hours rebuild at 250 by Paul Pfaff Teague outdrives sportmaster lowers shore power fridge microwave sink vacu flush toilet with holding tank and pump out hot water heater shower great stereo system flat screen tv-dvd player in great shape on lift at lake cumberland full and cockpit cover loadmasters trailer all new tires this boat is ready to go price for fast sale please call chuck 8596213034

Last edited by SB; 04-26-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Registered

That is the correct listing.