Moving to Texas from Ozarks??? >

Moving to Texas from Ozarks???

Notices

Moving to Texas from Ozarks???

Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Moving to Texas from Ozarks???

Im posting this in the Cig forum as well...

I have a big career opportunity near Wichita, Falls. We currently live in middle Missouri near Lake Ozark. I have a cigarette Top Gun we keep on the 3mm. I have a trailer and the lift would go with me as well. My wife is a barrel racer so we are looking for near lake front with the possibility of having 3 horses.

I have never been to Texas. Is there any big lakes similar to Lake Ozark where a mini ranch on or near big lake waterfront is possible? In a perfect world the dock would a short drive or possibly a golf cart ride away from the house/ranch. Would like to be within an hour of major city. Exist?
Old 08-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Lake Texoma is about 2 hour drive east from Wichita falls. Possum kingdom is south from Wichita Falls, might be a little closer, but that's no lake for a top gun. Texoma is the best you will find for that boat unless you go closer to the coast. Lots of ranches around.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Lake Texoma is about 2 hour drive east from Wichita falls. Possum kingdom is south from Wichita Falls, might be a little closer, but that's no lake for a top gun. Texoma is the best you will find for that boat unless you go closer to the coast. Lots of ranches around.
good info! Is Texoma developed like Ozarks? Is whichita Falls the closest city?
Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You are going to be solely disappointed with the powerboat scene in North Texas. If you go to the dallas boat show not one sportboat period in the whole show for the past 11 years. Austin has more of a powerboat scene but that is getting weaker by the year. Lake Texoma is your closest choice to have a decent time running your Cig plus there will be other sportboats running around, It still will not be even close to LOTO or Havasu -

In the big city areas ---- 10 mins boating at LOTO one would see more sportboats than a whole year in Dallas / FT Worth lakes all combined.

It is what it is here. The sportboater has left the builder in DFW but if you are into wakeboats this is the place to be in the whole USA. Pontoon boats and bass boats huge numbers.as well. .
Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Check out Possum Kingdom Lake south of Witchita Falls, close to Mineral Wells. It's about 90 mi. Nice lake and I don't know for sure, but I would bet there is plenty of land to be had around that area. Also, Lake Arrowhead near WF, but I don't know anything about it. As stated, Texoma is nice also.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalguy38

good info! Is Texoma developed like Ozarks? Is whichita Falls the closest city?
Not sure, I've never been to LOTO. Dallas is the closest big city - about an hour away if your staying on the east side of the lake, but there are other small towns around the lake. The Texas side is more developed, but mostly lakehomes hidden in the trees. No bulkheads. Quite a few wildlife reserves. The lake is much bigger than LOTO (139 square mile surface area vs 84), it has bigger main spans to open up a fast boat. The lake has islands and natural sand beaches over a good portion of the shoreline. Suprisingly good water clarity after the zebra mussels moved in. World class striper fishing. Two marinas have small airports. Highport is premier marina on Texas side, probably soldier creek/marina del ray on the Oklahoma side. It's got something for everyone.

Not as many sport boats as there used to be, but then again the lake does not require them either because its more open and mostly sand shores so the waves don't bounce off the shore. Your not eating wake wherever you go.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Registered

Wow that sounds nice actually.

LOTO is a washing machine. Unfortunately it forces me to wake the cove at 7:30... nothing like firing up 2 cold 850 blower motors 😜
Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Not sure, I've never been to LOTO. Dallas is the closest big city - about an hour away if your staying on the east side of the lake, but there are other small towns around the lake. The Texas side is more developed, but mostly lakehomes hidden in the trees. No bulkheads. Quite a few wildlife reserves. The lake is much bigger than LOTO (139 square mile surface area vs 84), it has bigger main spans to open up a fast boat. The lake has islands and natural sand beaches over a good portion of the shoreline. Suprisingly good water clarity after the zebra mussels moved in. World class striper fishing. Two marinas have small airports. Highport is premier marina on Texas side, probably soldier creek/marina del ray on the Oklahoma side. It's got something for everyone.

Not as many sport boats as there used to be, but then again the lake does not require them either because its more open and mostly sand shores so the waves don't bounce off the shore. Your not eating wake wherever you go.
We were up at Texoma over Labor Day and there were a ton of Powerboats. Highport was buzzing with nice hardware, several BIG cats, and some newer CC outboard rigs. Bet the recent fun run weekend brought some life back.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
You are going to be solely disappointed with the powerboat scene in North Texas. If you go to the dallas boat show not one sportboat period in the whole show for the past 11 years. Austin has more of a powerboat scene but that is getting weaker by the year. Lake Texoma is your closest choice to have a decent time running your Cig plus there will be other sportboats running around, It still will not be even close to LOTO or Havasu -

In the big city areas ---- 10 mins boating at LOTO one would see more sportboats than a whole year in Dallas / FT Worth lakes all combined.

It is what it is here. The sportboater has left the builder in DFW but if you are into wakeboats this is the place to be in the whole USA. Pontoon boats and bass boats huge numbers.as well. .
i have to say this is a very accurate description. I moved from the Ozarks to Houston 10 years ago and it’s just different. I miss the Ozarks there’s no place like it that I’ve found. The best lake I have been to in Texas so far is lake Travis, it’s beautiful blue water, but still doesn’t have the “vibe” that the Ozarks has for me. Currently I’m on Lake Houston and it’s adequate I suppose...
Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not to highjack the thread, but I'm a Marylander eyeing retirement in the next 5 - 10 years and Texas is one place we are considering buying a retirement home. We love the pleasure boating lifestyle on the Chesapeake Bay with a combination of anchoring/rafting and relaxing for the day or boating to a destination waterfront town for the day or weekend. We'd really like to find an area with a warmer climate and cleaner water, are there places anyone can recommend looking into?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.