Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > South Central US
Moving to Texas from Ozarks??? >

Moving to Texas from Ozarks???

Notices

Moving to Texas from Ozarks???

Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lake Ozark
Posts: 77
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Moving to Texas from Ozarks???

Im posting this in the Cig forum as well...

I have a big career opportunity near Wichita, Falls. We currently live in middle Missouri near Lake Ozark. I have a cigarette Top Gun we keep on the 3mm. I have a trailer and the lift would go with me as well. My wife is a barrel racer so we are looking for near lake front with the possibility of having 3 horses.

I have never been to Texas. Is there any big lakes similar to Lake Ozark where a mini ranch on or near big lake waterfront is possible? In a perfect world the dock would a short drive or possibly a golf cart ride away from the house/ranch. Would like to be within an hour of major city. Exist?
Metalguy38 is offline  
Old 08-05-2019, 11:58 AM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
Posts: 5,892
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Lake Texoma is about 2 hour drive east from Wichita falls. Possum kingdom is south from Wichita Falls, might be a little closer, but that's no lake for a top gun. Texoma is the best you will find for that boat unless you go closer to the coast. Lots of ranches around.
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Old 08-05-2019, 03:39 PM
  #3  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lake Ozark
Posts: 77
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
Lake Texoma is about 2 hour drive east from Wichita falls. Possum kingdom is south from Wichita Falls, might be a little closer, but that's no lake for a top gun. Texoma is the best you will find for that boat unless you go closer to the coast. Lots of ranches around.
good info! Is Texoma developed like Ozarks? Is whichita Falls the closest city?
Metalguy38 is offline  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 PM
  #4  
BUP
Banned
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 9,595
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

You are going to be solely disappointed with the powerboat scene in North Texas. If you go to the dallas boat show not one sportboat period in the whole show for the past 11 years. Austin has more of a powerboat scene but that is getting weaker by the year. Lake Texoma is your closest choice to have a decent time running your Cig plus there will be other sportboats running around, It still will not be even close to LOTO or Havasu -

In the big city areas ---- 10 mins boating at LOTO one would see more sportboats than a whole year in Dallas / FT Worth lakes all combined.

It is what it is here. The sportboater has left the builder in DFW but if you are into wakeboats this is the place to be in the whole USA. Pontoon boats and bass boats huge numbers.as well. .
BUP is offline  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 PM
  #5  
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 307
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Check out Possum Kingdom Lake south of Witchita Falls, close to Mineral Wells. It's about 90 mi. Nice lake and I don't know for sure, but I would bet there is plenty of land to be had around that area. Also, Lake Arrowhead near WF, but I don't know anything about it. As stated, Texoma is nice also.
shunter2005 is offline  
Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 AM
  #6  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
Posts: 5,892
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Metalguy38 View Post


good info! Is Texoma developed like Ozarks? Is whichita Falls the closest city?
Not sure, I've never been to LOTO. Dallas is the closest big city - about an hour away if your staying on the east side of the lake, but there are other small towns around the lake. The Texas side is more developed, but mostly lakehomes hidden in the trees. No bulkheads. Quite a few wildlife reserves. The lake is much bigger than LOTO (139 square mile surface area vs 84), it has bigger main spans to open up a fast boat. The lake has islands and natural sand beaches over a good portion of the shoreline. Suprisingly good water clarity after the zebra mussels moved in. World class striper fishing. Two marinas have small airports. Highport is premier marina on Texas side, probably soldier creek/marina del ray on the Oklahoma side. It's got something for everyone.

Not as many sport boats as there used to be, but then again the lake does not require them either because its more open and mostly sand shores so the waves don't bounce off the shore. Your not eating wake wherever you go.
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM
  #7  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lake Ozark
Posts: 77
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Wow that sounds nice actually.

LOTO is a washing machine. Unfortunately it forces me to wake the cove at 7:30... nothing like firing up 2 cold 850 blower motors 😜
Metalguy38 is offline  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 PM
  #8  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 269
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
Not sure, I've never been to LOTO. Dallas is the closest big city - about an hour away if your staying on the east side of the lake, but there are other small towns around the lake. The Texas side is more developed, but mostly lakehomes hidden in the trees. No bulkheads. Quite a few wildlife reserves. The lake is much bigger than LOTO (139 square mile surface area vs 84), it has bigger main spans to open up a fast boat. The lake has islands and natural sand beaches over a good portion of the shoreline. Suprisingly good water clarity after the zebra mussels moved in. World class striper fishing. Two marinas have small airports. Highport is premier marina on Texas side, probably soldier creek/marina del ray on the Oklahoma side. It's got something for everyone.

Not as many sport boats as there used to be, but then again the lake does not require them either because its more open and mostly sand shores so the waves don't bounce off the shore. Your not eating wake wherever you go.
We were up at Texoma over Labor Day and there were a ton of Powerboats. Highport was buzzing with nice hardware, several BIG cats, and some newer CC outboard rigs. Bet the recent fun run weekend brought some life back.
jamontes is offline  
Old 09-05-2019, 10:58 PM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BUP View Post
You are going to be solely disappointed with the powerboat scene in North Texas. If you go to the dallas boat show not one sportboat period in the whole show for the past 11 years. Austin has more of a powerboat scene but that is getting weaker by the year. Lake Texoma is your closest choice to have a decent time running your Cig plus there will be other sportboats running around, It still will not be even close to LOTO or Havasu -

In the big city areas ---- 10 mins boating at LOTO one would see more sportboats than a whole year in Dallas / FT Worth lakes all combined.

It is what it is here. The sportboater has left the builder in DFW but if you are into wakeboats this is the place to be in the whole USA. Pontoon boats and bass boats huge numbers.as well. .
i have to say this is a very accurate description. I moved from the Ozarks to Houston 10 years ago and itís just different. I miss the Ozarks thereís no place like it that Iíve found. The best lake I have been to in Texas so far is lake Travis, itís beautiful blue water, but still doesnít have the ďvibeĒ that the Ozarks has for me. Currently Iím on Lake Houston and itís adequate I suppose...
tylerjustinhunt is offline  
Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 PM
  #10  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 120
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Not to highjack the thread, but I'm a Marylander eyeing retirement in the next 5 - 10 years and Texas is one place we are considering buying a retirement home. We love the pleasure boating lifestyle on the Chesapeake Bay with a combination of anchoring/rafting and relaxing for the day or boating to a destination waterfront town for the day or weekend. We'd really like to find an area with a warmer climate and cleaner water, are there places anyone can recommend looking into?
afratki is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.