Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Where's the best boating in FL?? >

Where's the best boating in FL??

Notices

Where's the best boating in FL??

Old 04-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where's the best boating in FL??

well, with the real estate prices so low I think I'm going to purchase a place in FL. If you were to move to an area for boating where would it be and why? I'm a great lakes boater and the idea of the calm, warmer waters is really enticing. It seems there are just so many things to do on the water in FL. I can't wait to start checking out restraunts, islands, and planning some trips.

I've been doing my looking online so far from Tampa to naples and then the Ft Lauderdale area. I did make a trip down and covered apollo beach and the sanibel/fortmyers/ cape coral area. It's just so hard not currently living in the area and not being able to get on the water. My budget will afford a canal home in the areas I mentioned.

Any advise about the area's and it's boating would be very much appreciated..
Old 04-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Registered

Look in Apollo Beach Meria Bay you can get a new house on the water for a good price.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Registered

That's where I visited...Mira Bay... It was nice but too slow for me..... I'm only 27 and need to be a little closer to some action.... I think the tampa area has potential though.... alot of you seem to be happy there...
Old 04-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

I live south of Boca on a canal - the inlet to the ocean is less than half a mile away which is a huge factor....I have freinds on canals that have to ride nearly an hour at no wake to get to the ocean.

it really dpends on what kind of boating you want to do - east coast has the bahamas and lots of action...west coast is a bit more laid back
Old 04-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have been boating in sarasota for many years and love it, gulf is usually calm, bay is great, tampa bay 20 min away, in fact i have a friend that is selling a very nice house on the beach and a 60' slip across the street on longboat key if your intrested pm me.
matt
Old 04-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Swamplizard
I live south of Boca on a canal - the inlet to the ocean is less than half a mile away which is a huge factor....I have freinds on canals that have to ride nearly an hour at no wake to get to the ocean.

it really dpends on what kind of boating you want to do - east coast has the bahamas and lots of action...west coast is a bit more laid back

I noticed when I looked at the south cape that some homes had terrible rides to open water. I'd imagine the waterways get very busy too. There's no way I'd want to sit there and roast on a waverunner in the heat waiting to get to open water. Close proximity to open water is a must for me.

I'm surprised you say there's more action on the lauderdale side. Seems from the posts I've seen on this forum there seems to be alot on the gulf. What is there more of on the Lauderdale side? And as far as the boating...I have no idea, having never been on the ocean and having so many choices. But I could imagine doing a little of it all.

When you guys mention these restraunts and that....are there boats that often times won't fit in those docks? I've really been wanting to snag a Scarab Meteor and re rig.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Either coast has advantages. The Gulf is calmer, I like Tampa-
Sarasota A great 50 mile cruise.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Registered

the east coast water is mostly pretty big waves and you get the sunrise, the west coast you get the sunset and the gulf is generally warmer and avg 2-3 ft waves, the people are very different as east coast is new yorkers /cuban, west coast is midwest.night life is what you make of it either side but personally i like my car there when i want to leave and like not putting bars on my house. Like everywhere after a year or two it all gets old..
Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

I like the west coast better...anywhere from Tampa down to Ft.Myers. I am in central Fl and we have nice lakes and the St.Johns but i think the gulf offers more boating. just my .02
Old 05-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

....bar none..........

Quick Reply: Where's the best boating in FL??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.