Possibly relocating to Atlanta area >

Possibly relocating to Atlanta area

Notices

Possibly relocating to Atlanta area

Old 10-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Possibly relocating to Atlanta area

Ok so from some of the previous threads I read on here about boating on a couple different lakes, sounds like we have that taken care of.

The question I have is about different towns like Marietta and this east Cobbs I have found.
What are these areas like as far as being a good safe town with good schools, kinds of shopping and restaurants, etc.

My wife and I are 38 and we have a 5 year old son in kindergarten and good schools are definatley at the top of our list when considering where to move to.

To give you an idea, we live about 30 miles west of Chicago now and I dont have to worry about some neighbor hood punk breaking into the house or our boat which stays outside in the drivway. We also have just about every store known to man within a 15 minute drive.

I also travel alot for work and worry about them anyway when I am gone but will even more so with being in a new town and not knowing anybody for awhile.

Any input on some of this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like Welcome to the ATL, to give you good advice about Atlanta, what area would you be working in to give you the best info,there are quite a few possibilities outside the metro area.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Registered

well, I would say the marietta area or around that area from what I can tell looks pretty decent. Not sure though never really been there other than passing through.

For work, I would not only be in ATL but also Birmingham, AL, Charlotte NC, Ft Lauderdale FL, Dallas TX.

Still some unkowns and bugs to work out with the job offer that is on the table so I have not accepted it as of yet.

i would work alot from home which is helping ease this relocating pain with the wife and since we could move anyone of these areas, I figured ATL is the best choice since I can hit 3 of the 5 locations really easy.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered

If I had to choose I would look in East Cobb or the Alpharetta area will put you in good schools and close enough to the action but just far enough out. The biggest problem with all the newer homes in the ATL metro area have a covedence that will not allow you to have your boat in your drive way. Unless you are looking to have a home that is not in a neighborhood then I would make sure to know what the HOA rules are. But like most of us here in ATL we keep them in storage near the water anyway that way on nice afternoon you could swing through storage close by the water and be screaming in minutes. No pulling it thru traffic during rush hr. If you need any help locating a home let me know my Wife, Mother and Mother In Law are all in realestate, so they could help you find something in the price range you are looking for.

Tyler H
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=gabaja242;2969275]If I had to choose I would look in East Cobb or the Alpharetta area will put you in good schools and close enough to the action but just far enough out. The biggest problem with all the newer homes in the ATL metro area have a covedence that will not allow you to have your boat in your drive way. Unless you are looking to have a home that is not in a neighborhood then I would make sure to know what the HOA rules are. But like most of us here in ATL we keep them in storage near the water anyway that way on nice afternoon you could swing through storage close by the water and be screaming in minutes. No pulling it thru traffic during rush hr. If you need any help locating a home let me know my Wife, Mother and Mother In Law are all in realestate, so they could help you find something in the price range you are looking for.

Thanks for the input! My wife and i have decided that it is definatly in our best interest for me to accept this job offer and we have also realized that moving to this are that you are talking about is going to be the place to be for logistical reasons for work. (and play time on the water of course).

Out of curiosity, what are the average property taxes on lets say a house that is roughly 2,000 to 2,500 sq ft on a .25 to .5 size lot in this area?

Thanks again for the input tyler and when we get farther into this whole thing, i will definatley let you know and see if your wife, mom or mother in law can help us out.

And as a bonus, hopefully we can go burn some gas together!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Registered

Burning gas sounds great and there are plenty of miles of water to do so lakes are all back up to normal

The taxes are done differntly from county to county but I will have my wife check on that and get you a ball park, we live over on the NE side a mile from Lake Lanier so are taxes might not be the same but will see what info I can get you.

When ever you get a chance to come to town look us up been in the area all my life so can help you out getting around.
770-318-2591

Looking foward to burning gas with you someday soon, Going to go burn some today since will be raining Sat and Sun.

Also if you need transport help for cars or boat when you move let me can help with that also.

Last edited by gabaja242; 10-09-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Registered

Thanks agin for your help! We are in the process of finalizing the job deal and getting this deal rolling so, it looks like ATL here we come!

I will definatley get in touch with you when we get ready to come down and look at houses and check the area out.

As long as we get this all negotiated out in the next week or so, we will probably make our first trip down around the first week of Nov.

Burning gas sounds good! God knows the twins we have can definatley do that!

Have fun on the water today, I wish we could go out but our season up here in IL is pretty much done for the year. Time to get her ready for that long ass wiinter nap again.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered

I work in Marietta and live in East Cobb. We are about 15 min from the lake and is a real nice area. Be careful some of Marietta is a real sh!thole. It will be nice to have another Formula on the water. And by the way my house is 2500sq ft and the property tax is around 2000 a year.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered

Thanks 03 Sonic.

We have been looking online and my wife has about 85 houses she found so far that look like they are in really nice subdivisions and are beautiful homes.

We asked a realator what the taxes were on one of the houses she found just for giggles and it came back at around $1,900 per year which is awsome.

I say awsome because where we are now, we have a 1,975 sq ft house on a 1/4 acre lot and our taxes this year are $7,100!!!!!!

I have already mentioned that with the tax savings we will have on the house, looks like we could go boat shopping again for a bigger one!

We are going to be coming down there probably the first week of Nov to check things out so she can see what that part of the country is like.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 03 SONIC
I work in Marietta and live in East Cobb. We are about 15 min from the lake and is a real nice area. Be careful some of Marietta is a real sh!thole. It will be nice to have another Formula on the water. And by the way my house is 2500sq ft and the property tax is around 2000 a year.
I am sure you read my thread a few weeks earlier. We are moving between March - May. Like Sonic, I found some of the same with the Marietta. Again, one data point and my first realtor was a train wreck.

I dont' know if you are a long time Chi-town guy but living in the south in some sub-divisions is a little different than the mid-west. I am from NE OH and live in Charlotte and moving to ATL and I noticed you want a yard. On average the yards are going to be much larger in the mid-west than the new sub-divisions here and there from what I have seen.

And from my recent trips to look for places - there doesn't seem to be a better time to buy in ATL...

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.