Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Boating in the greater Atlanta area. >

Boating in the greater Atlanta area.

Notices

Boating in the greater Atlanta area.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Boating in the greater Atlanta area.

I am considering relocation to the Atlanta area. Any suggestions of an area to be for an offshore boater? I think I would rather live where I play and travel to work if it is not to far. Would like to be within an hour of things. The job is a sales related position so don't have to check into an office everyday.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO Lake Hartwell is the best lake close to Atlanta. Plenty of room to strectch your legs and doesn't turn into a washing machine on the weekend. Depending on which part of the lake you are on you can be an hour + a half to 2 hours from Atlanta.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Lake Lanier or Altoona

Lake Lanier - If you are off 400 less than an hour. Off 985 about an hour to an hour and 15 miutes from gainesville. I dont know if I could live on the lake and drive in every day... I was in outside sales too and lived up there for close to three years and loved it. Atlanta for 10 yrs and kept my boat at Lazy Days stacked. Then you can call it in and drive up in 45 minutes from downtown. Nice lake though - over 750 miles of coastline.

Get ready to increase your boating season to 10 months! Its not out of the question to get the boat out on a nice day in December, Jan or Feb. I am in Duluth right now and was out on Lake Lanier all weekend on wave runners and boats.

Last edited by Keith Atlanta; 03-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

I think your city in your profile is outside Chi-town so you may be used to the traffic. I store at Vann's Tavern on Lake Lanier and live in the Vinnings/Smyrna area and it is an hr each way on Sat or Sun to our little resin bucket.

I think Keith might be a little light in his times pending when you would have to get into the office - if you had to travel around rush hr times. Guys I work with (office is in Perimeter area) live in Cumming and they have 45 mins to an hr every day I believe.

The wife and I have been in the ATL about a yr via Charlotte. Lake Lanier is all we have been on here and it is big, clear wide open lake. We were on Lake Norman for 3 yrs and grew up on Erie. My biggest b*tch about the lake is that there is no dining or bars on the lake. The one spot to go to is very cool though - Sunset Cove.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I will be visiting the area next week and will look around as well. Again I would like to live near where I play so within 30 minutes and don't mind travel to work. As you suggested hotnicks187 I am currently about an hour north of Chicago but my business is done locally to two hours away depending on the drive and where the customer location is.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would recommend the Lanier area if possible. We have alot of fun and there are some great new restaurants on the lake.

Do you have anybody searching for a home for you yet? If you need somebody I can have my wife contact you with some properties near where you may be working.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hotnicks187
I think your city in your profile is outside Chi-town so you may be used to the traffic. I store at Vann's Tavern on Lake Lanier and live in the Vinnings/Smyrna area and it is an hr each way on Sat or Sun to our little resin bucket.

I think Keith might be a little light in his times pending when you would have to get into the office - if you had to travel around rush hr times. Guys I work with (office is in Perimeter area) live in Cumming and they have 45 mins to an hr every day I believe.

The wife and I have been in the ATL about a yr via Charlotte. Lake Lanier is all we have been on here and it is big, clear wide open lake. We were on Lake Norman for 3 yrs and grew up on Erie. My biggest b*tch about the lake is that there is no dining or bars on the lake. The one spot to go to is very cool though - Sunset Cove.

Have you tried Fishtales or the bar at Port Royale?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Have you tried Fishtales or the bar at Port Royale?
And that is why you're the Lanier authority.

I'm ready for Memorial Day.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
Thanks for the ideas. I will be visiting the area next week and will look around as well. Again I would like to live near where I play so within 30 minutes and don't mind travel to work. As you suggested hotnicks187 I am currently about an hour north of Chicago but my business is done locally to two hours away depending on the drive and where the customer location is.
Definitely Lanier.
I lived in Young Deere area for a few years. It's a bit farther out between exits 16-17 from Ga 400. Now I have been looking in the exit 14-15 areas. Ga hgwy 20 and Bald Ridge.
I can't tell you how great it's been having Tiffiney(rbr's wife) help out. It a HUGE plus having someone that not only knows real estate but that knows THE LAKE.
During the warm months I get up every other weekend from Ft. Lauderdale. I wouldn't miss it for anything. Atlanta will be my home 8 months a year starting in 2014 or so.
Let me know if I can help, and see you this Summer.

Greg

Last edited by Cash Bar; 03-05-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

We are on Lanier and love it!
Fishtails is the best! Love those grouper fingers
Sunset Cove at Lanier Islands is the gathering spot and are suppose to be expanding this year
My Bride is from Chicago and has family in Arlington Heights, Long Grove, Palatine, and Buffalo Grove
Bubba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.