Moving back to Florida... >

Moving back to Florida...

Notices

Moving back to Florida...

Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boating37
Tampa St Pete area is nice to move to as you know, it is diffrent then the east coast of Fl. Much better beaches over here on the west coast.
You got us beat generally on the beaches...but our water is 15~20 degrees warmer in the winter.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lil red
Are there any fire departments down there that don't require you to be a medic or emt? I'm looking to move as well and it's hard to give up this job and pension to go back into the full time repair business.
Not that I am aware of, that was my b!tch when I moved down also. Was a volunteer for 15 years and was looking to get paid for it. Not even any real volunteer companies down here.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Registered

Are there any fire departments down there that don't require you to be a medic or emt? I'm looking to move as well and it's hard to give up this job and pension to go back into the full time repair business.
Red...due to our "Obamaism" economy, no FD's are hiring anyone....in fact...they have wage freezes in effect and are buying out older guys contracts to avoid paying retirement bennies. The cities/counties are doing all they can do to stop circling the drain.

With a new administration next year...look for things to change dramatically in the next 12~18 months.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Seems to be the nationwide trend. I've got 6 years in hear and can retire full benefits at 55, guess I'm just going to have to hang in there.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there is a price to be paid for living in Florida I have noticed, at least for my line of work anyway, Manufacturing Engineering. I will be taking a hit in salary, although the weather and beautiful beaches are what my wife and enjoy and want to settle down to. From the states we have lived in (Oh, NC and Tx), Florida is the worst for me income wise.

Thanks for the input from everyone. The job search has begun. We'll see what the market has to offer and weigh the good with the bad. Being on the water in Florida isn't bad no matter what. Pensacola/Destin, Tampa/St Pete, Naples, West Palm/Ft Lauderdale ALL look to be our kind of places.

BEERME!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Damn gas is still the same price though!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beerme
Well there is a price to be paid for living in Florida I have noticed, at least for my line of work anyway, Manufacturing Engineering. I will be taking a hit in salary, although the weather and beautiful beaches are what my wife and enjoy and want to settle down to. From the states we have lived in (Oh, NC and Tx), Florida is the worst for me income wise.

Thanks for the input from everyone. The job search has begun. We'll see what the market has to offer and weigh the good with the bad. Being on the water in Florida isn't bad no matter what. Pensacola/Destin, Tampa/St Pete, Naples, West Palm/Ft Lauderdale ALL look to be our kind of places.

BEERME!!!
Your probably gonna find the most $$ in/around palm Beach in that field, of course the homes will also reflect that increase in pay. Quite a bit of MFG still in this area, pay will most likely be slightly less once you hit Broward and Dade counties. Good luck, and let us know when you come to visit.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Registered

Good info here, thanks! I'm hoping to make the move to Fort Lauderdale in November from Atlanta.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Registered

Seems to be the nationwide trend. I've got 6 years in hear and can retire full benefits at 55, guess I'm just going to have to hang in there.
Stay with it...55 is the new 35. I tuned 60 last month and am having more fun now than I did when I was 40!!

It's a great time to buy real estate down here though. You can get what was $1M waterfront for less than half of that if you shop it.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by beerme

BEERME!!!

The other thing to bear in mind, is if you relocate to the huricane zone of South Florida, you are going to pay DEARLY for homeowner's insurance / windstorm protection.....That, of course, assumes someone will actually write you a policy. Be cautious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.