Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Southeast US
Inlet Etiquette? >

Inlet Etiquette?

Notices

Inlet Etiquette?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

And also the term right of way is not used anymore it is give way and stand on. However even if you are stand on and the other vessels actions alone will not stop a collision it is now on you to make the necessary adjustment to avoid. They did this so any marine collision they can actually find fault with both parties.

I run a boat for a living and am immersed in this as I'm actually working on upgrading to a 1600 ton masters license.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
This is absolutely false. Bigger boat does not have right of way due to size only.

Here are the rules as published by the uscg and this is in fact law.

You are also always responsible for your own wake. So if it causes damage you are at fault

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent

That is good info. They are mostly talking about overtaking or passing in open water.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Registered

There is inland and international. Most boating down by recreational boaters is inland. The col regs demarcation line is on the chart in coastal areas. That's where the rules change. If read right you will see some rules are the same for inland and international and some very different.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Boynton inlet was cut for intracoastal flushing, it really wasn't meant to be a navigable inlet (narrow, fast current, 18 ft FIXED bridge, etc). That being said, it is a looonnnnng way to either inlet to the north or south, mostly no wake/slow zones (12-15 miles guess). It sucks because you can't see the other side of the inlet once you enter it so once you commit you own it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUOsgXg7Gwg
Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Boynton inlet was cut for intracoastal flushing, it really wasn't meant to be a navigable inlet (narrow, fast current, 18 ft FIXED bridge, etc). That being said, it is a looonnnnng way to either inlet to the north or south, mostly no wake/slow zones (12-15 miles guess). It sucks because you can't see the other side of the inlet once you enter it so once you commit you own it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUOsgXg7Gwg

Yes yes yes! LOL - I am glad you posted that. Once you commit from the ocean side, you are in there!

1/2 way thru there are actually pilings and the current goes sideways. This was exactly where I had to slow and almost came off plane then gently passed the guy on the skiff. Then I was the a-hole.

But its like dude, are you sure you should be in here in a rowboat powered by a weedwacker? Cmon man!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered

Kieth what makes you so special? Why make fun of anyone with a boat cause it isn't as big and fast as yours? Not saying you are a d!ck but your sounding like one talking like that. If you have to come off plane then you have to. It's about being safe. I run a 150ft boat in major currents on a reg basis. 10knots is the best I can make so I know about driving slow in a hard current. The waterways should be shared and enjoyed by everybody.

Also as the overtaking vessel you are the give way. It is your duty to not impede him. Regardless of size or speed he has to maintain course and speed.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Kieth what makes you so special? Why make fun of anyone with a boat cause it isn't as big and fast as yours? Not saying you are a d!ck but your sounding like one talking like that. If you have to come off plane then you have to. It's about being safe. I run a 150ft boat in major currents on a reg basis. 10knots is the best I can make so I know about driving slow in a hard current. The waterways should be shared and enjoyed by everybody.

Also as the overtaking vessel you are the give way. It is your duty to not impede him. Regardless of size or speed he has to maintain course and speed.
Look at my first post. This thread started simply as an inquiry. I tried to be as cautious as possible. My main question is why would someone even try to attempt this inlet in a boat that is obviously not seaworthy?

Jupiter Sunsation knows this inlet... Its bad news. Matter of fact at :36 in this video is exactly where my inquiry/situation happened.

So, let me turn this around ICU, if you were in this situation what would you do? You are the captain of a fishing boat and your boat goes sideways trying to avoid a small craft (a very small craft that is ALREADY in a bad situation) do you risk your passengers lives? A diving commercial vessel went down in this exact spot 2 years ago in the same situation a 2 people died. This isnt a stone throwing competition, what are my rights? What is the law?

The real questions are:
-What is considered too small or underpowered for a seaworthy vessel? Whos fault is it is they endanger other peoples lives?
-Is it legal for jet skis to go into an inlet and jump waves and remain in there for a significant amount of time? (go in and get out)

How far should should I go while I risk my personal safety, the lives of people on my boat and equipment in this particular situation?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

The truth the law is in the rules of the road. There is no too small a vessel. Underpowered. Ever heard of a sailboat? Lol. I run a 150 ft offshore supply vessel. The only lives they can basically legally endanger is on their own vessel as under the rules every operator is required to be able to avoid a collision. Some states have a law that says no wake jumping within a certain amount of feet of any vessel (this law born because of jet skis) I love in Florida and do not KNOW what their law is on that as I don't ride jet skis. You shouldn't risk your personal safety but you should be able to control your vessel. There is a phrase known as "bare steerage way". It is the slowest you can go and still maneuver your vessel. Bare steerage is not on plane. I promise.

Seriously read the rules I sent you. Not just skim them but read them making sure to look at international vs inland. You will learn a lot. I promise. I seriously just wanna help you understand.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen guys 3 miles off shore in a Jon boat with a 10 hp on back ..not saying its my choice , and nit sure there's any regulation that states that either ..
Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Skunks
I've seen guys 3 miles off shore in a Jon boat with a 10 hp on back ..not saying its my choice , and nit sure there's any regulation that states that either ..
Regulations can't fix stupid unfortunantly....... They dang sure try though. Keeps the lawyers busy and our insurance rates going higher......

ICU, I hope you can take whoever is in your avatar out on that 150 ft boat. DAYYYYUM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.