New 32 OB questions >

New 32 OB questions

Notices

New 32 OB questions

Old 03-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 32 OB questions

I'm REALLY close to getting a new 32SC and just wanted to ask a few questions. First of all this will be my first cat and after riding in a 32SC really don't see what the big deal is with cats, it seemed that it handled great turned fine etc so why the huge insurance premiums? I know the obvious differences but what does the cat do differently than a V hull that turns most people off?

To me it's almost a no brain'er to get the cat but am I missing something?

For those that have one or have experience in them are there any options etc that I should make sure I get? IE different steering or instrumentation that's not normal?

TIA
Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlb75
I'm REALLY close to getting a new 32SC and just wanted to ask a few questions. First of all this will be my first cat and after riding in a 32SC really don't see what the big deal is with cats, it seemed that it handled great turned fine etc so why the huge insurance premiums? I know the obvious differences but what does the cat do differently than a V hull that turns most people off?

To me it's almost a no brain'er to get the cat but am I missing something?

For those that have one or have experience in them are there any options etc that I should make sure I get? IE different steering or instrumentation that's not normal?

TIA
Make sure you drive one in smooth water, they tend to hop a little from 65-75 at least mine will do it in smooth water, choppy water seems to cure this.

They do lean to the outside in a turn, again it seems more pronounced in smooth water as opposed to some chop.

I have the smartcraft screen and its great - won't own another boat without it. (Delete the gauges and just use the smartcraft screen)

Electric power steering is nice, not a must have if you are on a budget, but nice to have when you are running fast with a group of other performance boats. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have a 2011 32 and I am very happy. The boat is great on fuel and very fast. The cost of insurance does suck. It was the largest issue with me on buying the boat. Not sure what area you are in but Scott with Suncoast in Sarasota was great to deal with. Feel free to contact me if I can help

Good luck and keep us posted
Attached Thumbnails New 32 OB questions-005.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I would try to lock down insurance first before you pull the trigger, if it is your first cat, and you do not have any prior experience you may not be able to find insurance, or at least it will cost a pretty penny.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input, I've talked to Scott @ Suncoast a couple times and your right he does seem to be a great guy. As for insurance that was a major concern and while the quote I'm getting is half again higher than I pay for a 45' motor yacht I guess that's to be expected. At least it was half of what I expected it to be.

Full auto, when you say smartcraft what exactly are you talking about, do you mean the round gauges with the small data screen, the SC1000 vessel view (if so where would you put it on the dash), or are you talking about a nema feed into the Garmin GPS? What I've spec'd out is the what I'd consider the normal Livorsi gauge package but upgraded the GPS unit to the Garmin 5212 with data input for smartcraft info on it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

If you have any questions on any of the Spectre O/B cats give me a PM or Call 504-451-1689. If you are looking at the 30' Spectre make sure you have a tunnel tab with the 250XS or 300XS to help with the porpus. We are putting the 32' 6 step bottom on the all new 30' Spectre so there is no need for the tunnel tab. If there is anything we can do just let me know.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input, I've talked to Scott @ Suncoast a couple times and your right he does seem to be a great guy. As for insurance that was a major concern and while the quote I'm getting is half again higher than I pay for a 45' motor yacht I guess that's to be expected. At least it was half of what I expected it to be.

Full auto, when you say smartcraft what exactly are you talking about, do you mean the round gauges with the small data screen, the SC1000 vessel view (if so where would you put it on the dash), or are you talking about a nema feed into the Garmin GPS? What I've spec'd out is the what I'd consider the normal Livorsi gauge package but upgraded the GPS unit to the Garmin 5212 with data input for smartcraft info on it.
The Livorsi with smart craft and the Garmin 5208 would be good. The Garmin 5212 is to big for the dash.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

I think mine is the SC5000, I also have the gauges with the small displays in them, but they have been subordinated by the larger display screen. The Smart Craft or Vessel view on my boat is not tied into the Garmin. I would skip the gauges.
Theres a pic of the dash below so you can see where the smart craft screen is. Hope this helps.

Last edited by FullAuto9; 03-22-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Sorry guys but one thing I noticed going from a V bottom to a Cat is the ride in rough water. The V bottom lands safer and softer, If its flat the Cat is like riding on air. Now if you just want to go fast, get good fuel economy, and just flat out look sweet the cat is the wa to go.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered

http://

Theres your dashboard pic, see the Smartcraft sreen in the top left...

Last edited by FullAuto9; 03-22-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.