Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay >

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Notices

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Old 03-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey jon, i actually spoke to Bill on the phone a few weeks ago and he was gracious enough to share his thoughts on the #6 drive and the TT setup. He was very nice and even mentioned Brett at BBlades. I was leaning towards the checkmate 30' but the 32' sunsation is just gorgeous so i shifted my focus. p.s... Bill did mention you were "The Man" if i needed the advice of an expert. Thanks! T
Old 03-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

In a current, which we often have here in tidal/coastal waters, it's tough to overcome, especially with a big power single engine, often with a tall prop that wants to idle the boat at 7mph or so. Couple that with an engine driven power steering pump that may be a little more effort to spin the wheel when the engine is at idle RPM; it can be a bear.

Transmission drive/shifting (SSM) vs. Bravo cone clutch shifting, plus an electric or constant velocity power steering setup would help.
Also, the SSM VI drives have a bit smaller steering swing than a Bravo setup, correct?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Registered

Another question if i may: I'm looking for the most stable ride at big mph..... is there any particular year i need to buy or avoid? The years i have been looking at in the classifieds have been from 2000 - 2005. Thanks! T
Old 03-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

2000 - 2005 Dominators will all be the same hull - pad bottom with ventilated chine. They are not a stepped hull. These have the lower profile hulls which look great in the water.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Registered

Great, thanks Knot! T
Old 03-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
This video is a great example of why staggered setups need to have the tailpipes braced on the forward engine. I rarely see this bracing. Eddie Young has done it on the Skater Vee he powered. The starboard header on the forward engine is all over the place!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TracyRR
Great, thanks Knot! T
The twin step Dominator hulls came about around 2006 or 2007. They have much taller hull sides. The decks are identical to the non-stepped hulls. The first runs of these hulls did not have a pad. A few years later Wayne added a small pad on this hull. These are the S, SS, SSR, and XRT models. All the same hull, just different levels of trim and the XRT has the unique dash layout. I've not been in the twin step with the pad. Only the non-pad twin step and the older non-stepped hull with the pad. Running in the 80's I found the twin step to be more stable. It all depends on setup. Again, the older hulls are just way more sexy looking in the water.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

If you convert a twin to a single, remove the 3/16" hook in the bottom.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Registered

That is good info, i appreciate it! T

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
The twin step Dominator hulls came about around 2006 or 2007. They have much taller hull sides. The decks are identical to the non-stepped hulls. The first runs of these hulls did not have a pad. A few years later Wayne added a small pad on this hull. These are the S, SS, SSR, and XRT models. All the same hull, just different levels of trim and the XRT has the unique dash layout. I've not been in the twin step with the pad. Only the non-pad twin step and the older non-stepped hull with the pad. Running in the 80's I found the twin step to be more stable. It all depends on setup. Again, the older hulls are just way more sexy looking in the water.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Registered

hey lee, i don't own the boat yet so i'm not sure where the hook is?

Originally Posted by Lee
If you convert a twin to a single, remove the 3/16" hook in the bottom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.