32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay >

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Notices

32 Dominator question - twin versus single engine bay

Old 03-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

P.S. Don't attempt any of this without calling and talking directly to Dave or Wayne Schaldenbrand; FIRST. They are very open an honest about the possibilities.

IIRC, they have advised just waiting for one of the single engine boats to surface which happens about once every 2-3 years; vs. doing a conversion. The single engine Dominators were built to be capable of F1 Racing back in the day. They had some tweaks done to them that made them unique.

I've pinged Aggressor25 who is on OSO occasionally to see if he can weigh in. He has around 950HP in front of a bulletproofed Bravo drive on his 32' Sunny Single. Who knows, you might be able to throw a number at him.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying a single would definitely be ideal.... I'm probably six months out anyway so maybe I could work something out with Aggressor if he is interested. I'll search for some pics and details. Dave/Wayne, are they Sunsation? Thanks brian! T

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
P.S. Don't attempt any of this without calling and talking directly to Dave or Wayne Schaldenbrand; FIRST. They are very open an honest about the possibilities.

IIRC, they have advised just waiting for one of the single engine boats to surface which happens about once every 2-3 years; vs. doing a conversion. The single engine Dominators were built to be capable of F1 Racing back in the day. They had some tweaks done to them that made them unique.

I've pinged Aggressor25 who is on OSO occasionally to see if he can weigh in. He has around 950HP in front of a bulletproofed Bravo drive on his 32' Sunny Single. Who knows, you might be able to throw a number at him.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

bulletproofed Bravo drive
I'd like to hear the specifics on that.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

In a current, which we often have here in tidal/coastal waters, it's tough to overcome, especially with a big power single engine, often with a tall prop that wants to idle the boat at 7mph or so. Couple that with an engine driven power steering pump that may be a little more effort to spin the wheel when the engine is at idle RPM; it can be a bear.

Transmission drive/shifting (SSM) vs. Bravo cone clutch shifting, plus an electric or constant velocity power steering setup would help.
Also, the SSM VI drives have a bit smaller steering swing than a Bravo setup, correct?
Bill / Check300 (572 tall Deck) idles I believe at 500RPM which most don't believe.
In comparison to what your sharing, this probably why it docks so will even with Big Power.
Also has a very very mild cam, it is quieter and softer sounding than a stock 365 mag.
When Bill idles by, our taxi's out you would never have a clue 1500 hp plus is under the lid.

Jon
Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyRR
hey jon, i actually spoke to Bill on the phone a few weeks ago and he was gracious enough to share his thoughts on the #6 drive and the TT setup. He was very nice and even mentioned Brett at BBlades. I was leaning towards the checkmate 30' but the 32' sunsation is just gorgeous so i shifted my focus. p.s... Bill did mention you were "The Man" if i needed the advice of an expert. Thanks! T
TracyRR

Glad you and Bill connected, Honestly after all the time in his
I would never hesitate turning any reasonable sized boat into a big HP Single with a #6 drive.

1) With any conversion I would add knee braces to the top of the stringers for more transom support.
Both for the push, and for the weight of the #6

2) Speak with Sunsation or John Pompi
www.marineperformance.com for proper reconfiguration of stringers

3) Use True offshore engine mounts that have the 4 to 5 bolt flange per side and through
bolt to your stringer. Then your engine becomes part of the boat.

Jon

Last edited by cougarman; 03-24-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Another note. I believe it has been discussed in the past but all of the 32 singles I am aware of are the older, non-stepped hull. I once stated that to my knowledge no single engine twin step 32's had ever been built. I can't remember now if someone corrected me or not. Pretty sure I am correct, though.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I'd like to hear the specifics on that.
I think all of internals were cryo-frozen. He sourced some really strong parts some of the bigger custom houses. Hopefully he'll chime in.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Registered

Great advice jon! I appreciate your input! T

Originally Posted by cougarman
TracyRR

Glad you and Bill connected, Honestly after all the time in his
I would never hesitate turning any reasonable sized boat into a big HP Single with a #6 drive.

1) With any conversion I would add knee braces to the top of the stringers for more transom support.
Both for the push, and for the weight of the #6

2) Speak with Sunsation or John Pompi
www.marineperformance.com for proper reconfiguration of stringers

3) Use True offshore engine mounts that have the 4 to 5 bolt flange per side and through
bolt to your stringer. Then your engine becomes part of the boat.

Jon
Old 03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Registered

Ok, good to know. Thanks! T

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Another note. I believe it has been discussed in the past but all of the 32 singles I am aware of are the older, non-stepped hull. I once stated that to my knowledge no single engine twin step 32's had ever been built. I can't remember now if someone corrected me or not. Pretty sure I am correct, though.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Registered

Thanks Brian. First off, definitely consult Wayne at Sunsation. He is a wealth of information and remembers many of the boats. Everyone at the factory is very helpful and willing to chat.

The stringers will be a big task switching from a twin to a single. I agree with Knot 4 Me, the older Dominators have a much sleeker look. Twins are definitely more friendly around the docks when there is a current and/or wind. As for a bullet proof drive, it does not exist. Both Emil (has the other single Dominator in Virginia) and I have Imco SCs. Even the cryogenic frozen gear sets failed. We both found the the 5 blade Maximus prop had too much bite with little slip and took out the built drives. I raised the x-dimension on mine and now have a standard XR drive on mine now while the Imco is rebuilt.
My job and family has kept me from getting out much in the last few years. Unfortunately, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been out the past few years. My father's Maxium bow rider gets most of the use pulling tubes at Smith Mountain Lake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.