Whos The Fastest?  Rocket/agressor >

Whos The Fastest? Rocket/agressor

Notices

Whos The Fastest? Rocket/agressor

Old 10-23-2002, 07:20 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys, I just dropped a 650HP procharged 502 Mag MPI in a 2002 288, Got any recomendations on a prop.? Hows the new hydromotive 5 blade? Hydromotive is bragging alot, but has anyone tried it yet? I know a 3 blade would be best for top speed, but I like the performance of the 4 blade? I'm willing to try the hyd 5blade, but not if it's going to be slower than the Bravo1.

This motor was originally in my 230SX stingray and was spinning a labed 31" bravo1 4blade. I was getting 88.9 GPS at 5200 rpm, but it wieghs in at around 1200 lbs less than the 288. I would think a 28 bravo 1, but wanted some second oppinions.
thanks
Claude
Old 10-24-2002, 10:40 AM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

No CJ, it's asleep for the winter. I just wanted to get the engine in so I can rest easy knowing I just have to do a few things this spring. The engine is tested and calibrated, but the prop selection is needed to be figured out.

Lets see here, you say your spinning a 26' bravo 1 with a HP500. hum.... Mine is 415 HP. spinning a 24". Thats a differance of 85 hp and 2" pitch. I have around 150 hp more than the 500... I should be around 29" or so

CJ, what are you getting for top speed with the 500? you should be around 76 mph +- right??
I'm thinking I'll be in the low 80s with this set up, +-
thanks
Claude
Old 10-24-2002, 08:15 PM
sunsation98

I HAVE TO SAY I A 30" HYDRO 4 BLADE WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST
PERFORMANCE.
I AM A HYDRO FAN BECAUSE IT HAS LESS CUP THEN THE BRAVO.
I AM FRIENDS WITH A FELLOW THAT PUT A 575 SC IN A 28' AND HES SPINNING A 28 HYDRO-UPPER SEVENTYS FOR SURE-DAMN NEAR 80- HE DOESNT THINK SO BUT WITH A MIRAGE HE CANT KEEP UP THE BRAVO IS CLOSE- BUT THE HYDRO SEEMS TO LET THE PROP SPIN A LIL MORE FREE. I HAVE DRIVEN THE BOAT WITH EACH APPLICATION AND IN PRETTY DIVERSE WATER CONDITIONS.
THE MIRAGE SEEMS TO HAVE THE BEST BIGHT AT ALL TIMES-BUT GET IN ABOUT A 2 TO 3 FOOT ROLL AND THE HYDRO LITERALLY PICKS THAT BOAT WAY OUT OF THE WATER-THIS IS WHEN I THINK IT REALLY COMES ALIVE!-IT FEELS ALMOST LIKE MY AGRESSOR AT THIS POINT!-BUT HAY PROPS ARE NEVER PREDICTABLE. IVE BEEN INN BOATS OF ALL SIZES AND SHAPES-NOTHINGS EVER CONSISTANT!

Old 10-24-2002, 08:32 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Sunsation98. I have also heard that hydro was a little better than the bravo1, But I'm still curious about there new 5 blade. they seam to claim that it's better than there 4 blade??? but thats hydro saying that. it can just be promotional Hoping by next spring to read some actuall comparisoms.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:02 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excuse me, couldn't help but post. I have a 35 twin step Fountain with 500 efi's that are whippled. Imco Extreme SC drives that are standard length. I ran 2 sets of Hydro 5 blades. I will share what I found out after spending half the summer. They get on plane like a ski nautque, crusing they will run 3 to 5 mph for a given rpm. Acceleration is very good.......But they will run slower than a Bravo or a Hydro 4 blade. To much blade in the water at top speed. The application's they seem to work on are surfacing drives, cats or very high X deminsions on V's. Very heavy V's that experience alot of slip because of the weight of the hull also see improvments. Don't get me wrong , Tom and Gary from Hydromotive know their stuff!!! In my application with 1.34 gears the boat ran 92.5 on gps with a 27 pitch 5 blade, and 100.2 with a 29 Hydro 4 blade, and 94.5 mph with 30 Bravo one's. All box stock except the 29 Hydro, which had some cup removed to increase the rpm. Hydro offered to work the 5 Blade for me remove cup, cut off the flair ring, to increase top speed. But.....after modifications the props cannot be returned!! So then you are stuck with them If the mods don't work to your satisfaction. Again not bashing Hydromotive, I still run them just pointing out some potiential problems you may run across
Good luck and have fun!!! Randy
Old 10-25-2002, 08:58 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Randy. Thats pretty much what all 5 blades do. I'll stick with the 4 blade then. I like hearing that the hydro 4 blade was faster than the bravo. I know my hull is good for 85+ at 7 lbs with a bravo, maybe she'll be good for close to 90 with the hydro 4blade .