Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
32 Dominator - lifting strakes removed >

32 Dominator - lifting strakes removed

Notices

32 Dominator - lifting strakes removed

Old 07-11-2022, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

I just got off the phone with Wayne at Sunsation. He does not believe that the removal of the aft portion of the strakes is the cause of the poor performance.

He said that removing the strakes would make the boat squirrelly, especially over 80 or so, but he does not think that's where my missing speed is at.

I'm gonna spend some more seat time playing with trim a bit to see if I can get a few hundred RPM more but I'm starting to worry that there's a lack of HP for as-yet undetermined reasons.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
I just got off the phone with Wayne at Sunsation. He does not believe that the removal of the aft portion of the strakes is the cause of the poor performance. He said that removing the strakes would make the boat squirrelly, especially over 80 or so, but he does not think that's where my missing speed is at. I'm gonna spend some more seat time playing with trim a bit to see if I can get a few hundred RPM more but I'm starting to worry that there's a lack of HP for as-yet undetermined reasons.
agree that strakes is not likely culprit. lack of hp or boat is overweight (water retention?) should be checked.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jimboat
agree that strakes is not likely culprit. lack of hp or boat is overweight (water retention?) should be checked.
Yep. Going to recheck compression and also do a leakdown on both motors.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Yep. Going to recheck compression and also do a leakdown on both motors.
You seem to be down quite a bit of available top speed, so i'd check both 1) engine (300 RPM won't get you there) and also 2) check hull weight to specification OR check hull for waterlogging.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jimboat
You seem to be down quite a bit of available top speed, so i'd check both 1) engine (300 RPM won't get you there) and also 2) check hull weight to specification OR check hull for waterlogging.
Right, will do, next time it's on the trailer. Not in a rush as long as it's still running really well other than at top end, so it will stay on the lift till summer is over. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2022, 03:21 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the information I’ve gathered, a lot of guys remove the strakes on the single dominators to free up the hull because the cg is so much different….ie the bow seems planted. The strakes from the factory at least on mine have some 1/8” hook built in to aid in planing and keeping the stern heavy transom out of the water. I have not heard of any gains from removing them on a twin but have considered removing the hook from them. I would be afraid of how squirrelly it would be with them completely removed at higher speeds. My pad does not really have any hook to it where you would be running once it’s moving. Post some pics of your boat!
Old 07-28-2022, 03:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PS Definitely do a leak down that can tell a lot as much of a pain as it can be in that tight compartment lol
Old 07-28-2022, 06:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Buckeym
From the information I’ve gathered, a lot of guys remove the strakes on the single dominators to free up the hull because the cg is so much different….ie the bow seems planted. The strakes from the factory at least on mine have some 1/8” hook built in to aid in planing and keeping the stern heavy transom out of the water. I have not heard of any gains from removing them on a twin but have considered removing the hook from them. I would be afraid of how squirrelly it would be with them completely removed at higher speeds. My pad does not really have any hook to it where you would be running once it’s moving. Post some pics of your boat!
I did a leakdown, found one cylinder on each engine questionable. 46% on Stbd and 18% on Port. Thread about it in the Q&A section here. Compression numbers in there as well.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 495 Likes on 270 Posts

You have Jimboat offering advise, I would be listening!
Old 07-28-2022, 10:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by resurrected
You have Jimboat offering advise, I would be listening!
Yep, next time it's on the trailer it will get weighed. For now I'll enjoy the rest of the season unless something breaks.