32 Dominator - lifting strakes removed >

32 Dominator - lifting strakes removed

Notices

32 Dominator - lifting strakes removed

Old 06-28-2022, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts
Default 32 Dominator - lifting strakes removed

I have a 1996 Dominator that I'm working through some minor issues on. Not seeing the speeds I think I should be given what appears to be a healthy pair of 502 Mag MPIs.
The bottom of the boat was modified by some prior owner, the aft 2-3 feet of the lifting strakes were removed. Apparently this boat had some big [blower?] motors in it at some point, as evidenced by through-transom water pickups that are now blocked off.

Presumably someone removed these strakes to settle the stern at higher speeds with big power, but I wonder if their absence is hurting me now with mild black power?

To get into specifics, I'm seeing a max of 72mph with Hydromotive Q-IV 26P @ 4800 rpm, and a max of 68mph with Bravo 1 24P @ 4900 rpm.

The boat always feels stuck to the water, which is fine and stable at cruise, but I'm used to a lighter feel from conventional v-bottom boats I've had before. Is it just the pad that is giving me this sensation, or could it be the absence of strakes?

I also have a pair of Mirage Plus 25P on the way for testing.

Thanks for any input!

Old 06-29-2022, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Boat is definitely slower than it should be with 502's and the pad isn't what is making it feel stuck to the water. For reference of speed a buddy had a 2000 Dominator with 454 MAGs turning labbed 28" Bravo 1's at 5,000 RPM+ at 75 MPH. At that speed the stern was not planted and would move around a bit on the pad.

Good thing is a good guy/shop can make and attach new sections of strakes. Back in the early 2000's I was at the factory up in Algonac and the first time I met Wayne Schaldenbrand he was under a 32 race boat adding on extra sections of strakes. I'd contact the factory or find another Dominator to get the exact length of what the boat came with and go back to square one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Knot 4 Me:
DrFeelgood (06-29-2022), Helmwurst (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 07:51 AM
Registered

Thanks for that info. Kinda what I suspected.

I believe the strakes originally ran all the way back to the transom, but I'll call the factory and confirm.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Boat is definitely slower than it should be with 502's and the pad isn't what is making it feel stuck to the water. For reference of speed a buddy had a 2000 Dominator with 454 MAGs turning labbed 28" Bravo 1's at 5,000 RPM+ at 75 MPH. At that speed the stern was not planted and would move around a bit on the pad.

Good thing is a good guy/shop can make and attach new sections of strakes. Back in the early 2000's I was at the factory up in Algonac and the first time I met Wayne Schaldenbrand he was under a 32 race boat adding on extra sections of strakes. I'd contact the factory or find another Dominator to get the exact length of what the boat came with and go back to square one.
I agree. I used to have a ‘94 with twin 7.4L/330’s and all out on a good day would touch between 69 and 70mph. That was with standard 25”pitch props on Bravo 1’s closer to 4700RPM (been a decade so don’t hold me to gospel on RPM’s)…does seem with healthy 502’s there’s some speed being left on the table.

I hate people that think they’re friggin marine engineers and go F up a fine design. The pad boats had their upsides and downsides…but that’s any hull. Hope you get it resolved.
The following users liked this post:
DrFeelgood (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
I have a 1996 Dominator that I'm working through some minor issues on. Not seeing the speeds I think I should be given what appears to be a healthy pair of 502 Mag MPIs.
The bottom of the boat was modified by some prior owner, the aft 2-3 feet of the lifting strakes were removed. To get into specifics, I'm seeing a max of 72mph with Hydromotive Q-IV 26P @ 4800 rpm, and a max of 68mph with Bravo 1 24P @ 4900 rpm. The boat always feels stuck to the water, which is fine and stable at cruise, but I'm used to a lighter feel from conventional v-bottom boats I've had before. Is it just the pad that is giving me this sensation, or could it be the absence of strakes?
Do you know what your hull/boat weighs?
Old 07-02-2022, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jimboat
Do you know what your hull/boat weighs?
Mine specifically, no. Estimated 6500 based on published stats.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:38 PM
Registered

To get into specifics, I'm seeing a max of 72mph with Hydromotive Q-IV 26P @ 4800 rpm, and a max of 68mph with Bravo 1 24P @ 4900 rpm. The boat always feels stuck to the water.
Estimated 6500 based on published stats.
not sure which drives you have or what gear ratio that you're using, but seems that you should be getting more top mph than you're seeing. you should be able to see 5000 rpm with your 2x502MPI's. if boat seems 'stuck' to water, wondering if hull is water-set, maybe you can check weight? Strakes would be helping if more aftward, but don't think absence would make the big difference that you're seeing?
Old 07-06-2022, 07:02 PM
Registered

not sure which drives you have or what gear ratio that you're using, but seems that you should be getting more top mph than you're seeing. you should be able to see 5000 rpm with your 2x502MPI's. if boat seems 'stuck' to water, wondering if hull is water-set, maybe you can check weight? Strakes would be helping if more aftward, but don't think absence would make the big difference that you're seeing?
Drives are 1.5 ratio, confirmed.

I will check weight next time it's on the trailer. It lives on my lift so I'll wait til winter to do that. But yes, I wondered if there is some hidden weight somewhere.

The missing strakes are aft -- a prior owner removed the aft 3' or so from the transom forward.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:13 PM
Registered

Drives are 1.5 ratio, confirmed.

I will check weight next time it's on the trailer. It lives on my lift so I'll wait til winter to do that. But yes, I wondered if there is some hidden weight somewhere.

The missing strakes are aft -- a prior owner removed the aft 3' or so from the transom forward.
Bravo drives? Might check weight, maybe boat has soaked up some water over years

Last edited by Jimboat; 07-06-2022 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:21 PM
Registered

Bravo drives? Might check weight, mane boat has soaked up some water over years
Yes, Bravos.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.