What's new for the 2006 season? >

What's new for the 2006 season?

Notices

What's new for the 2006 season?

Old 11-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What's new for the 2006 season?

Sounds cool!! 800 to 900 hp? Whipples are good for about +150-ish hp, so what are you bolting it onto? Be sure you have ample fuel supply-line sizes - don't want her to lean out too much. What fuel pump are you going with? The drive will certainly be your next weak link I imagine, good luck with that....can't wait to hear some gps numbers when you can! I've been installing whipples on 496's and a couple of 500's - let me know if I can help,
Keith

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
WHIPPLE!!!!!!!! I bought a Whipple out of the classifieds a few weeks ago. Installation is almost finished. Problem is I need a mechanic to help with distributor reinstal, and to set timing. My buddy owns a busy garage and has not had the time to help. Now weather is too cold to seatrial but gives me something to live through the winter for!!!

Looking at somewhere around 800-900hp.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Keith, what happened with your drive ???? You said some where you rebuilt it under warranty ????
Old 11-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yep - here's the story: kept losing drive fluid, couldn't tell where, so we opened her up the first time. Found two bad upper seals and a mis-aligned gear set. Fixed that but still had slow shifting into forward, it took 5 seconds from throwing the lever to prop engagement.

Tried all the troubleshooting and adjustments, talked to Merc and they said if it needs it, rebuild it, so we did.

Opened up the upper,replaced the full gearset and clutch cones, re-shimmed (yes the new Bravo X is a shimmable type drive). While we found some weird wear patterns that looked like water stains, there was no obvious problem. All I can tell you is that she pulls through acceleration like she should, and the slow shift is gone. Got my 3 mph back and what I thought was prop caviatation at mid range is gone! Happy days again.....
Old 11-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Glad to hear your problem solved Keith !!!!! Enjoy that warm weather !!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the concern guys. I have been in touch with Jeff and he knows I am installing myself and has been helpful with my questions.

Putting it together is not a big deal, just time consuming. I'm using the fuel pump that came with the kit, Mallory 4140M and regulator. 1/2" lines with mechanical guage at the regulator and at the carb. Electric at the dash. Only thing left is to set the timing. I have a handfull of friends who are very qualified mechanics. No not marine, and please no comments on marine vs. auto, we're setting timing not rebuilding! I'm at their mercy since they can only help during their spare time, which is limited. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get it finished and I won't have to worry about a sudden hard freeze.

I do have a Bravo XR and yes I know it is at it's limits. I'm not hard on my equipment so hopefully it will live, if not I'll have to find an alternative.

Motor is a 540 dynoed @ 600hp @ 5700 rpm. Dustin thinks around 800 hp, Jeff says he knows of a 565 making over 1000hp with the same unit. So we'll have to wait and see.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

PURE ENERGY, up to 1000 HP.......................Better have your buddy drop a #6 drive on your Y2K !!!! Good luck keep up posted on your project, if you hussle you can still get a demo run in before the BIG CHILL SETS IN !!!!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helped my brother-in-law hall his fish boat today. Then I pulled the drive and battery off/out of my boat and covered her up.

Faster,
Get out and use your boat now! You can log 10 hours in a week...
Tunes are nice, but it doesn't get much better than the sound of a BBC...

Dave,
How was your last ride? The weather was great here today!

Gary,
Thanks for the complement. We are fortunate enough to have 2+ wooded acres off the beaten path and only about 3 miles from the water...
Superbabi has a nice clean look all white. Custom paint jobs are big $$ and can make it tougher to sell if you ever decide to. How about a nice vinyl graphics package? Then you can change the look down the road without a lot more $$. We know your going to up the power as soon as the warranty is up...

PE,
Well from Faster, we know that 800HP pushes a Y2k into the mid 90s. If your engine makes 900-1000, you'll be cracking 100. I can't wait to see that ride of yours rip across the Sound!

Keith,
Glad to here you fixed your drive and all is well. You were the king of new goodies last spring, anything new planned for next year?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Did i hear SUPERFEST ??????????? tripps
Old 11-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Registered

heyy tripps..how bout settin up a superwinterfest.. .we all need a eason to get together somewhere and bench race or talk smack abot who will smoke who this coming season...maybe sometime after the holidays ..hopefully by then my back wuill be healed and i will be able to attend...
Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Are you guys serious about a winter superfest ????

Quick Reply: What's new for the 2006 season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.