Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Superboat
New potential SB owners... >

New potential SB owners...

Notices

New potential SB owners...

Old 03-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat, when I talked to John he told me the side coring was the only difference. I don't think that coring the sides would cost alot, I would think that the coring would stiffen things up. Is it worth 2k probably, 10k I think not.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had the $$ to buy a 30' I would go with the stripped down version with two options; K-planes and a race-mount for the engine.
Run her hard for a year then start tinkering. Hell, I think half the fun is tinkering.
The 4k extra Merc changers for the MagHO over a Mag is a rip off; it's just a different cam.
Whipple has a 4K kit to turn it into a 525HP.
Adding external steering is not rocket science, and the parts for a single ram add-on are about $1500, dual $2500, full $3500.
Run the stock Bravo until it goes boom, then buy a low hour XR for half the cost of new. I think the stock Bravo will last if you back off while flying...
Add mechanical indicators and a loud stereo, what more do ya need???
Old 03-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Registered

Pat you have a point, race mounts and Kplanes are money well spent, I've been told the extended warentee isn't worth much if you need service in excess of what the warentee cost they will fix and release you saying you are too rough, so it only good for one repair . Don't know if it is true but that what I heard.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:17 AM
Registered

Mirageman,

I insured the boat through Liberty Mutual here in Mass. I have my home and autos insured with them so they agreed to write a boat policy for me.

SB30
Old 03-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

I like a pair of 300X's on a bracket(Y2K I/O hull).
Old 03-04-2004, 10:27 AM
mirageman

Last night I told my wife what I wanted for my birthday in September....To order the 30-y2k boat...I think she said okay, she didn't say no exactly, or I don't remember that part, But If I can get financed I am seeing JC in September!

Thanks for the insurance info SB30!

Pat, I like your idea of going with the stripped down hull.
If I can't swing the twin s.b. because of cash, I think I would go with the stripped down version 496 375h.p. cabin interior package, k-planes, mounts, single ram external steering, and procharger/whipplecharger.

Does JC do stereo's or should that be locally done?

Old 03-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Registered

You guys make me laugh. Nothings ever good enough. The 30y2k is a sexy and fast boat even with a single BB. But nope that's not good enough. Lets wedge twin SB or stagger BB in there.

Pat doesn't the extra 3900 bucks merc get's for the HO's include the upgraded drive also?

Brian
Old 03-06-2004, 01:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

No Brain,
$3900 extra to go from 375HP to 425HP. I have talked to three different mechanics on the subject. Only difference is the Cam and ECU calibration. When the 496 first came out the Mag. HO had a forged crank.
Now both engines are the same. I believe the HP3 also has the same bottom end...
Bravo to XR is more $$$$
I don't think you need a XR on such a light boat. I have been told that a Bravo will live fine up to 600HP on a light boat if you back off when flying.

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 03-06-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:02 PM
mirageman

Here is an idea: What if you just order the 496 375hp motor, and take the 4 grand you would have spent on the 496 HO and put that into a procharger system. Order the 496HO cam have that installed and when you go to have your ECU programmed, have them program it for a procharged 496H0. For not much more than you would spent on a stock HO, you get 600+ ponies

ME LIKES!

Old 03-06-2004, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

mirageman,
I am not a big fan of bolting superchargers onto stock engines. The 496 has cast pistons and a cast crank shaft. The added heat from superchargers melts cast pistons. Supercharger are great on engines that are built for them. My opinion of course, just heard of too many cooked engines...
Whipple makes a naturally aspirated kit for these engines that will boost to 525HP. I think it includes exhaust, cam, high flow parts for the intake, reprogrammed ECU...
You may want to check their web page.
Don't know how fast you will want to go, but 525HP will push a 30' Superboat over 80...

Quick Reply: New potential SB owners...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.