It Floats! >

It Floats!

Notices

It Floats!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take a 3.6 over a 4.0 any day. It takes quite a bit of work to get a 4.0 to go as fast as a 3.6. The 4.0 does have better bottom end though. 3.6 pulls strong to 6600 the 4.0 to 6200. 3.6 is a faster engine stock. That era gearcase is a little weak for that engine but will go for a while if your not barking it too much. You can replace it with a brand new one from Evenrude that will be more durable. As far as set back I would want 32". I had 2 4.0s on my 31 with 32" of set back and it was fine and ran over 80 but not stock, ran 75 stock. I'll ask a friend of mine if he has any ideas for you on breaking that drive shaft out of crank.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard dry oice on the shaft will break it loose froma crank.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

How do you get it to that area?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

OK Six I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that does this stuff for a living. You keep trying for a while. I'll tell you how to do it when you have weighed out all other options. Your not gonna like how its done, and I don't want to ruin your weekend thinking about it.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JamesGang
How do you get it to that area?
I dont know that was the extent of my knowledge on this one.LOL

all I know is when I was in ST lucia they had an OB hanging by its power head. and this guy was jerkin the sticks on a back hoe to try and get it apart and the owner of boat I was going out on was telling me how all they needed was some dry ice on the shaft and it would pop right out.
Never asked any more questions because I never thought Id own an OB boat at that time.

I guess the shafts get really corroded in the crank down there and its a pretty common problem.

Maybe he meant the CRANK shaft?

Last edited by 30ctsutphen; 10-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Registered

Great. . . I'm guessing i need to hang the motor upside down from a tree and leave it there for a month? lol

In regards to setback, i was guessing if i moved the motor forward, I would achieve better balance. It would be alot easier if i knew that CG i wanted and what is the original. i guess when i do change the bracket i need a jack plate too so i can raise the drive height.

Last edited by sixmassive; 10-24-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

there is a set of second effort motors on scream and fly right now. i dont need two though.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Lot of nice hardware there but two V8s is too much weight on the back of your boat. 2 300Xs would be about as heavy as I would go and also only with off shore mounts to help with the handling. You should just set up what you have, have some fun, and when its worn out then re rig with twins. A friend of mine is gonna set up a Rum Runner with 2 300X engines on it. I'll let you know how it runs when he is done. May be a while though he is doing a complete make over on the whole boat. Spring or early summer it should be done. If it turns out you definitely cant get that gearcase off call me on my cell 845-641-3322 and I'll tell you how to do it. Don't call till your desperate cause its aint a pretty fix.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered

thanks. if i can find a new drive shaft, i will sawzall it off and replace the drive shaft.

thanks for all the info though. i appreciate it
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That's the way they do it, and you have to bore a hole in the mid to cut the shaft and then weld the piece back. Pull powerhead and remove shaft. I've never had to do this, I usually break things way before they freeze up. Hopefully you can get it to break loose before having to go through all of this. From what I understand this engine has very little use. Maybe it will come apart with a few more attempts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.