The B.S. Thread >

The B.S. Thread

Notices

The B.S. Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. I think it saw the lake a whole 9 times or so the entire time I owned it. It was fun though. Not fun replacing engines but still the easiest boat to pull and stab engines from
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wstultz
Here you go biotches! Anyone looking for a kick arse Sutphen with arnesons for a project.... It's a 1982 model....

1984 Sutphen Ocean Pacer 30'
Why you gotta bring up old shyt! lol
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Registered

Hello everyone. I'm new to OSO and have a question about boating on Lake Conroe. Late April I purchased my first performance boat and had it fixed up a little. One of the upgrades was I had 3 blue stern under water LED lights installed.

One night a couple of weeks ago I take the wife to eat at the Mexican restaurant next to April Plaza Marina. While the boat was docked I left the lights on. As we finished our meal I see the lake patrol with someone pulled over for questioning. I untie from the dock and switch the lights off before pushing off. Just as I push off the lake patrol come to visit. He mentions that only law enforcement are to have blue lights. I said ok but they are not a flashing light.

I'm a professional mariner with a valid MMD and like to think I know my ROR. My lights are not flashing nor are they an all round visible light. They do not interfere with the other navigation lights. I didn't argue with him. I just left them off. They weren't rude or anything like that. We had a good conversation.

Question: Do any of you have blue underwater stern lights and have you had any problems out of the Lake Conroe Patrol Officers?

Just checking if anyone else has had this problem. I love riding with the lights on and think they make the wake look really cool.

Thanks,
Brady
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by foosdaddy
Hello everyone. I'm new to OSO and have a question about boating on Lake Conroe. Late April I purchased my first performance boat and had it fixed up a little. One of the upgrades was I had 3 blue stern under water LED lights installed.

One night a couple of weeks ago I take the wife to eat at the Mexican restaurant next to April Plaza Marina. While the boat was docked I left the lights on. As we finished our meal I see the lake patrol with someone pulled over for questioning. I untie from the dock and switch the lights off before pushing off. Just as I push off the lake patrol come to visit. He mentions that only law enforcement are to have blue lights. I said ok but they are not a flashing light.

I'm a professional mariner with a valid MMD and like to think I know my ROR. My lights are not flashing nor are they an all round visible light. They do not interfere with the other navigation lights. I didn't argue with him. I just left them off. They weren't rude or anything like that. We had a good conversation.

Question: Do any of you have blue underwater stern lights and have you had any problems out of the Lake Conroe Patrol Officers?

Just checking if anyone else has had this problem. I love riding with the lights on and think they make the wake look really cool.

Thanks,
Brady
There are quite a few folks with blue underwater lights, the reason you were pulled over really had a lot more to do with checking you for a potential BUI, and a lot less to do with your lights, I suspect you will be pulled over about five more times, maybe because your lights, and maybe because you fit the profile of a boater who has been drinking. My guess is blue lights on or off, once they get used to pulling you over and you being sober every time, they will not care about your lights anymore. Its a sad fact, but profiling and being pulled over with out cause on and around lake Conroe, in both boats and cars, has become all too common in the past five years. April plaza customers will be targeted until its lights dim and their door shut, just like every other bar on the lake that used to thrive just the same. Long story short, if they pull you over a few more times and come up empty, they will recognize your boat and wont bother with you anymore.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

I second that
Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

By the way, congrats on the new purchase. I remember talking to you about the boat at the walden ramp a few months ago. Sounds like you're enjoying the boat.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have blue lights on our 23' ski boat and have never been pulled over. We eat at PuebloViejo every time we are in Walden, but rarely leave after dark. We'll see what happens this summer.

PRAY FOR RAIN
Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I think they were more just checking for safety gear. When they suggested I take a boater safety course I told them I'm a registered Merchant Marine they started relaxing. I'm glad they came over and had a chance to chat. I hope to meet more of the patrol officers.

I do love to drink beer but I love the boat a lot more. I have yet to drink and operate on the water.

Chad & Wade I do appreciate the chat we had at the ramp that day. I've taken your advice and use the ramp behind the racket club.

I hope to meet up with you members here on the lake sometime. I'll have some questions for you experienced performance boaters as I'm still learning the ins and outs of my boat. It's always good to chat with someone that has more experience.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by foosdaddy
Thanks for the replies. I think they were more just checking for safety gear. When they suggested I take a boater safety course I told them I'm a registered Merchant Marine they started relaxing. I'm glad they came over and had a chance to chat. I hope to meet more of the patrol officers.

I do love to drink beer but I love the boat a lot more. I have yet to drink and operate on the water.

Chad & Wade I do appreciate the chat we had at the ramp that day. I've taken your advice and use the ramp behind the racket club.

I hope to meet up with you members here on the lake sometime. I'll have some questions for you experienced performance boaters as I'm still learning the ins and outs of my boat. It's always good to chat with someone that has more experience.
All in all that's the right attitude to have towards it all. Please don't get us wrong, not one of the guys in this BS forum or the TOPPS club condone drinking and boating, as wild as we get when we are off the water, there is not one of us that would risk our boats or our passengers to such a wreckless act as drinking and driving, most of us are now fathers and surprisingly enough even when we were young single and wild, we were still mature enough to stay away from the wheel when we were drinking. You cant go wrong with this group, and being patient and friendly to the lake patrol is the correct choice, as we all still treat them with the utmost respect, even though we do see through a lot of their extra "Safety Checks" as it applies to our style of boat.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by spk1
All in all that's the right attitude to have towards it all. Please don't get us wrong, not one of the guys in this BS forum or the TOPPS club condone drinking and boating, as wild as we get when we are off the water, there is not one of us that would risk our boats or our passengers to such a wreckless act as drinking and driving, most of us are now fathers and surprisingly enough even when we were young single and wild, we were still mature enough to stay away from the wheel when we were drinking. You cant go wrong with this group, and being patient and friendly to the lake patrol is the correct choice, as we all still treat them with the utmost respect, even though we do see through a lot of their extra "Safety Checks" as it applies to our style of boat.
That's good to hear about you guys. Being responsible isn't always fun but it pays off in the long run. I have 3 children myself. Not to mention if I did ever get a DUI or a BUI then the USCG have the right to suspend my license and then my career goes down the drain. Just not worth it.

Back in my younger years I used to be a DJ at Banana Bay (now Wolfies). I'd see the big boaters come in and party it up. I always thought one day I wanna do that. The lake just isn't the same as it was 20yrs ago.

I've been out to the island and anchored out so the kids can play on the beach. I'm too afraid to beach the boat right now. It was pretty choppy that day and I can see the island getting rough on windy busy days.

Another question: Is there anywhere else that people hang out with a decent sandy beach for kids that isn't so choppy?

With the lake being so low and me having a 3.5' draft I'm shy to venture off some places.

Trust me, I'm praying and wishing for rain as much as anyone.

Quick Reply: The B.S. Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.